“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Bauhaus Hotel

Bauhaus Hotel
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I had a thoroughly enjoyable two nights at the hotel over a recent weekend. This is a really good boutique hotel well situated very close to the city centre. The mixture of modern facilities with the simple features of exposed brick walls and steel staircases are unusual but I thought combined very well. Our room was spacious, the bed comfortable and had a large attractive bathroom (the shower was amazing!). Breakfast was plentiful with the hot food all cooked fresh. The prices were competitive having searched for comparative standard hotels online. All in all this is a hotel that I will definately stay in again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend as a special treat on his birthday.Why did i choose this Hotel! Check in took 15mins after a long train up to Aberdeen in the evening and being spoken to like rubbish by a young-ish blond hair lady dressed only as I could describe as NOT what you would expect behind the DIRTY,STICKY desk of a Hotel! Not to let that spoil our stay we headed to our room only to find dirty bathroom,very strange smell and very loud music-THAT LASTED UNTIL 11PM!
The cooked breakfast was the only good thing about our stay.What a shame for my boyfriend as I wanted it to be a special trip to Aberdeen for him,instead we got a very terrible stay in a expensive room that I would not stay again ever or tell my friends or family about . Infact the complete opposite!!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Similar in price to the 'big box' hotel across the road, but much more cozy and personal. For me I like the quietness of the place-not too much noise to get in the way of using the wireless in the lobby bar. Dozens of bars within 5 minutes of the place if you want it.

All staff were nice, but the night staff lady (do not have her name) was especially crafty in persuading a drunk guest to go to his room and apologise to his wife (don't ask) without incident at 4am on a Saturday morning, just when I was when I was waiting for a taxi to the airport.

Room was small but hey- this is the UK - but 'rainfall' shower a nice touch.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2012

What a waste of money!
Stayed here with my wife after being told it was a nice hotel to stay in. We just want to let people know that this hotel is not what it seems to be.Priced at £120 a night,not worth it as room very small.
Some staff seem keen but others seem not too care about fine details.
We were not pleased with our stay and wont stay again.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

After so much debate in my mind . I decided to try this establishment.
Bad points;, breakfast, empty bar and abandoned lounge. cant rate this place as I did not understand it at all. The concept is muddled to say the least. Im sad to have wasted my money here. Good point was the on duty manager lorrayne, very pleasent, only pleasent experience I had .

Reviewed 15 February 2012

1 star because staff were friendly.
Small room, no window, just skylight with blind no-one knew how to operate.
Steel girder in room, didn't like this at all.
Big walk in rain shower was okay.
Slippy sloping floor from dining room, on which I fell.
Food forgettable.

Room Tip: go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Spent 1 night in the Bauhaus to try it out - after reading mixed reviews the best thing to do is give it a go. Received a friendly welcome on arrival, payment upfront – unusual but no big deal for me – and given key card. Room was on the second floor which meant walking past the empty restaurant with apparently bored staff (it was 9pm incidently) and then strangely through the small bar which is almost part of the corridor, buried deep within the hotel so no windows. This was also dead. This is despite the hotel being fully booked.

The most difficult task of the night was entering the room. It took me a good couple of minutes to get the key card to open the door. I was about to go back to reception when it finally worked. This happened every time i returned to the room and needs some urgent attention. I also wasn’t the only one as at one point I could hear a neighbour in the corridor having exactly the same problem.

The room was on the inside of the building so there were no windows on the walls but there was a very large skylight inset into a high sloping ceiling - certainly different to other hotels in Aberdeen. The bare brick wall also adds to the charm but the size and furnishings let it down a little. This was a ‘superior’ room but was actually quite small in size compared to standard rooms in many other hotels. It was a king bed but again this was deceptive as was 2 singles pushed together. The mattresses had firm edges so sprawling out and sleeping in the middle was not an option. For me the mattress was also quite uncomfortable but once i’d used the massive king size duvet to essentially form a sleeping bag I had a very good and comfortable sleep.
The skylight had remote control blinds to block out the light but it was actually quite relaxing to watch the clouds pass by in the moonlight and not have to draw the blind because of being overlooked.

Mattress aside, the other thing that might threaten a good nights sleep is the noise from the corridor. For some reason they have chosen a floor covering that you might expect a beach mat to be made of. This made any sound in the corridor echo, making wheelie suitcases and footsteps very loud in the room.

The bathroom was quite small as some have mentioned, but a big bathroom is not really a priority to me. It was clean and modern and would have been bigger but half the room is taken up by a massive walk-in shower – for me this is heaven, so big thumbs up there. Must also mention free wifi as a plus point, and complimentary mineral water is a nice addition instead of having to buy from a high priced minibar

Breakfast in the morning was very pleasant with a buffet of continental items and cereals etc and then table service for tea, coffee, toast and cooked items that are cooked fresh by the chef. This is much better than anywhere else in Aberdeen and is moving towards the personal touch expected from a boutique. Staff were friendly and helpful if not overly engaging.

At checkout, even though I’d paid on arrival I still had to return to get the VAT receipt. The same staff member checked me out but didn’t seem to recall who I was.... and I think this sums up the problem for me :
I think many of the negative comments and perceptions have come from the ‘boutique’ tag they have given themselves creating high expectations. Firstly, you have to consider what you expect from a boutique hotel - to be treated personally, with a higher level of luxury and individuality in the rooms and common areas would sum it up for me. I don’t think a boutique can really be a boutique if it has more than say 10 rooms. There are just too many guests to provide the personal touch and although the friendly arrival was promising, it didn’t really continue. Places like Malmaison and Hotel du Vin (that I would term ‘boutique chains’) also have this problem but the styling in these is a little more bespoke than found at the Bauhaus, where the minimalism and finishing doesn’t give an overall feeling of warmth and luxury to make you feel at home. The empty bar / restaurant areas also didn’t help create a good atmosphere here.

Having said that, if you forget the boutique bit, what we have is potentially a very decent hotel, just lacking a bit of thought in some areas. I really wanted to like this place as i enjoyed the room and it would be hard/impossible to find better at the price paid (£120 midweek). It could be great with a little more thought and slight tweaks – better mattresses, more thought on the corridor floorings and room keys that work would have improved my stay. I would give it another go.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business