“beautiful family run establishment”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Goulash

Goulash
Ranked #58 of 665 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Eastern European, Hungarian, European, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“beautiful family run establishment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had taken friends to this restaurant,
we found the owner to be friendly and hospitable
The meal was outstanding and had to open my buttons! as portions were of good size and I always feel this is a good a sign when going out
I cannot fault the quality or price and certainly not the staff or owner and his daughter I had the feeling they treat customers like family and considering may I say they are not from Scotland originally certainly seemed to be part of the community and I would highly recommend
DO NOT miss out on the Hungarian shots at the end of the meal scrumpcious

• Visited April 2014

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Scotland
“I wanted it to be so much better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I've been desperate to try this restaurant for a long time, having never eaten in a Hungarian restaurant before so when the opportunity came up I was delighted.
The other diners I was with had both eaten here before and were very enthusiastic about it.
When we arrived we were warmly welcomed and shown to our table. Initially I found it a bit strange that the staff were wearing coats and scarves but only until I took my own coat and scarf off and realised it was freezing cold. Unfortunately it didn't warm up for the entire duration of our meal.
The staff were friendly and helpful and advised us on a bottle of wine which was very good but a bit expensive. I didn't have a starter but did sample some of my companion’s choices, which were very nice.
For my main course I chose the Goulash which was tasty and well cooked but not overly exciting and I got a bit bored of it half way through. I chose a dessert from the specials menu which was a pancake with a nutty filling and it was nice but like the main course I wasn't blown away by it.
Both my companions appeared happy enough with their choices and I didn't want to spoil things by saying I wasn't overly impressed as they both rate the restaurant quite highly.
Overall it was an average experience; the worst part was having to experience freezing cold conditions for the duration of the evening. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find good restaurants in Aberdeen that aren't overly pretentious and extortionately expensive and I had been looking forward to trying this restaurant for so long and was expecting it to be fantastic and sadly it wasn't and I'm not tempted to return.

• Visited March 2014
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Excellent food, friendly atmosphere and very helpful waitress. It's my favorite restaurant. I recommend it to everyone.

• Visited March 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Perfect night and lot of foods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

The food is home made by qualified Hungarian Chefs so taste amazing, staff excellent and the Hungarian palinka is a unique must. I felt myself like a part of the team just like at "home". My favorite is the beef goulash, value and service was excellent.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank joseohio143
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We too visited Goulash on the weekend of 28th September 13. We too were unimpressed so maybe it was an "off" night but it will certainly not be a restaurant I'll frequent.
The restaurant did not have any rose wine at all but offered me a light red. I've never been to a restaurant that does not have white, red & rose.
I too had the mixed veg platter which I found bland and unappetising to be honest. Hardly restaurant class food. My main which was a pork dish came on a wooden plate with a pile of fries underneath. Portion was huge but difficult to eat off this wooden platter and trying to cut the rather tough pork was a challenge. In the plus side, it was tasty.
My partners starter was reasonable but his main of duck again very disappointing. It was a duck leg portion which was not stated on menu and it was way over cooked. Very disappointing but decided not to complain, we just will not return or recommend to friends.

• Visited September 2013