“Hidden Gem, Great Service!”
Review of Gurkha Chef

Gurkha Chef
Ranked #102 of 711 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Nepalese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

What a hidden gem by Union Square! If you haven't tried Gurkha Chef, go enjoy a delicious meal tonight!

Five of us enjoyed a lovely evening with flavorful starters to share: delicate Momo dumplings, Chana Chat (chickpeas), and spicy Lamb Choila.

For our mains, we shared several dishes: Mayalu Lamb in a delicious creamy coconut sauce, Gurkha Special Chicken, Sag Paneer (made with fresh spinach!), Aloo Cauli, Mushroom Bhaji.

Our group liked their plain and cheese naan, which was fresh from the oven. All the food tasted like it was freshly made, not frozen or processed.

Although we were the only guests tonight (more people need to eat-in here!), the service was very friendly and attentive. They accommodated the various spice levels we wanted and all our drink orders.

I wish I found out about this place sooner. I am looking forward to returning!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Almost didn't go here, but very glad we did. Lovely menu, good service, food was outstanding, would we go back ...... You bet. Only marked down atmosphere etc because vwe were there just on opening time and we were the only ones there.

1  Thank bydandstu
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Have eaten here several times, and it is one of my favourite curry houses in Aberdeen. The food tastes good and is good value.

The momo make an unusual but good starter, and the Everest lamb is another favourite.

What always seems odd is that the restaurant has few diners in it. This does affect the atmosphere. I am not sure why more people do not visit (maybe because it is slightly off the beaten track?), nor how it continues to survive.

1  Thank Traveller001Scotland
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Took my a party of 5. They accommodated starter portions so we could all share. Food is excellent quality and well made. It was all delicious and every dish is unique, fresh and vibrant. Value was exceptional, I would have happily paid more. For our party, starters, mains including breads and rice, one if the party got got 2 extra sides, 8 pints and 1 juice £94.00. I'll be going back.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

If you haven't tried Nepalese food and are a bit wary but an Indian food lover, I can guarantee you that you will love it here.

The staff here are so friendly, welcoming and polite. They would do anything for you.

The food is on a whole other level. It is the best Nepalese food you will eat in the North East of Scotland. The chef(s) deserve massive credit as it is clear that they take pride in every dish they make.

If you are a fan of Lamb I would recommend either the Railway Lamb or Himalayan Lamb. If you like something mild and creamy, the Mango Chicken is to die for. Also the Kathmandu is amazing.

All of their portions are very generous and the price you pay is nothing compared to the food you get. Excellent value for money and you will receive excellent service during your visit also.

If you haven't already visited Gurkha Chef - you need to do it asap! Every curry lovers delight!

1  Thank melissaclawrence