“Sleep deprivation to the point its almost funny.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
“Sleep deprivation to the point its almost funny.”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I'm actually staying in the hotel right now. It's 2am and despite being shattered, I'm wide awake. Had a bad experience with the food last night. But that's another story, for another day.
I taught a nice weekend away would be a relaxing and refreshing treat before returning to work in Monday.
Wrong.
The people at the bar, directly under my room appear will probably disagree with me. But I don't feel a singsong and drunken banter is is ideal for a hotel, with rooms surrounding around the foyer. Ok. I got what a fairly good deal on a last minute website,but I still payed over 130 pounds, for two nights room only. I don't think the room was worth half of that.
Now if I implied the drunken craic at the bar was the main reason I am struggling to sleep, id be a list.
Alfred Hitchcock must have stayed in this room. The film "The Birds" could have been inspired by the rabble on the roof. Now I know sound travels and distorts at night. But this mob are relentless. I'm convinced at one stage they were trying to get in the window. I'm not suggesting for a second that the chef has thrown a loaf of bread directly over our room as punishment for sending food back on Friday evening, but anythings possible.

• Stayed May 2011
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Guest

I am so sorry that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and I am also sorry that I did not have the chance to meet with you prior to you departing. If a guest is not happy with anything while staying with us I like to know about it there and then as I can address it before it gets worse. I would like for you to contact me directly at the Hotel so I can discuss the matters with you further.

John Karwl-Jackes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Got a great deal in the 'sale', my friend and I had a 'girlie' weekend and chose this hotel. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left we could not fault. Check in was quick and easy with a lovely girl on Reception (noticed on her badge she was training - but you wouldnt have known), very friendly, entrance and first impression were 'oh wow, this is lovely'. Lovely little gesture when checking in we received a very yummy cookie! Nice touch. Got to our twin bedded room - ideal for what we went for, enough space for the two of us and very clean, space for hanging clothes, ironing board, iron and hairdryer. Nice touches in the bathroom with the sundries nicely laid out. Arriving back in the early hours the night porter very kindly got us more teabags as we had already used the ones prior to going out - no problems.
Breakfast - well, this was just AWESOME!!!! If anyone could fault the breakfast they must need their head looked at!! Tea/coffee, toast, fresh fruit, yoghurts, porridge, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, fried egg, mushrooms, beans, tattie scones, hash browns, etc etc all beautifully cooked and hot, croissants, hot cross buns etc etc etc. Waiting staff were lovely too. WELL DONE TO ONE AND ALL!!!
It was also VERY nice to see and hear local staff employed at this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure of the prices of what the 'norm' prices are for B & B but what we got our night for was FANTASTIC - would def recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Sounds like you had a fab time, great to hear it. Our girlie weekends are so popular offering the spa treatments and facilities of the pool sauna and much more. Thank you for all your kind words regarding your stay with us and I pleased you found your room comfortable and breakfast selection well received.
Keep an eye out for our future sales and I hope you return again soon

John karwl-Jackes
Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our annual break away without the kids. We know the city well having both studied in Aberdeen and tried the Doubletree having previously stayed at the Treetops last year. We opted for a junior suite in the platinum club and couldn't fault a thing. We were greeted with cookies and a complimentary mini bar (soft drinks) as well as 2 drinks at the bar and newspapers in the morning. We stayed on the top floor with a huge room with great views towards the beach. The location is fairly central - brisk 10 minute walk into town. The leisure area is small but well kept and features a steam room, jucuzzi and sauna. The hotel itself was quiet when we stayed (sat/Sun) and staff were polite and attentive. We hope to return back next year.

Dear guest
First of all I look forward to you returning to us again next year, it is great to hear how much our guests enjoy the facilities at the hotel along with its superb location. The junior suite you opted for is part of the Platinum club which I like to think offers our guest not just a relaxing stay but also a experience one they choose to revisit.
Having some quality time away from the family is sometimes a must I am pleased we help towards that.
uk
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Doubletrees. I was there with my mum and we had a twin Platinum room. The whole stay was excellent. Nothing could be faulted. The room was large and had a great view over the sea. The breakfast was excellent as was the service.

Looking forward to returning in October

• Stayed May 2011
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
A Great Place to Stay

Dear Guest
Thank you for the great remarks you recently left. I am so pleased you enjoyed staying in the Platinum Club I agree with you the rooms and the view really make your stay with enjoyable. I really look forward to you returning soon.
aberdeenshire
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We were in Aberdeen for a 50th birthday party at the Beach Ballroom, a great night. However we had decided to stay at this hotel which is within walking distance. The day before I received an email with an offer of a meal, 2 courses for £15.00 or 3 for £20; sounded a good offer. Arrived in the restaurant to be given a very restrictive menu when I queried that this was not what I expected I was told the menu was on the email. I had to accept that I had it wrong. I asked if we could have the ala-cart menu and they could deduct £15 of the cost I was told impossible. Anyway the meal arrived, processed gnocchi which was totally tasteless. Then a pork steak dish was equally tasteless and no vegetables. I tried to get the assistant restaurant managers attention but she blatantly ignored me.

Arrived back at the hotel to a very hot stuffy room with no air conditioning and only a small window which could open half an inch in the roof. Blasting music till 1.00am the most uncomfortable sleep I have had in a long time.

Complained to the manager when checking out told the same about the dinner offer. I checked it out when I returned home, no mention of the menu content in the email. Did they not know or were they being blatantly dishonest? The hot room was because the weather had been exceptionally hot. The loud blasting music was a charity auction, (so that was all right then).

All in the night cost muse £167 not worth it

1 Thank stewartdick
‘Felt Ripped Of’

Dear Guest,

I must begin by saying I am so disappointed to hear you left us feeling that way. I have made notes from your remarks and please feel reassured I will be investigating this further. It is normally our intention to deal with any challenges that face us on the day however even now you have left the hotel can I encourage you to call me so we can discuss this further.
I look forward to hearing from you.

John Karwl-Jackes

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed the one night with my family during the Easter holidays. Chose the hotel because of its location. Were attending the football at Pittodrie that night so a 5 minute walk to the ground was perfect. The hotel is also well positioned for the beach and funfair all within 5 minutes walk. The funfair also has a large choice of restaurants, and there is a decent sized retail park close by.

The hotel itself was fine. Pleasant surprise that we go to check in early. Room was adequate for the 3 of us. Leisure facilities were very good and the breakfast in the morning was lovely. Bar prices were a bit expensive but not unexpected. Staff were all very friendly and efficient.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
‘Fitted the bill perfectly’

Dear Guest
Great to hear you felt the Hotel was a pleasant surprise to you as we try to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible. The team at DoubleTree by Hilton will also be pleased to hear your kind words.

Thank you for your kind words concerning the Hotel and its team this really means a lot when our guests leave us happy looking forward to their return visit.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2011

great hotel, clean, staff alll very friendly. ideal location

couldnt fault it

Loved It

Dear Guest,
I must thank you for passing on your great comments and I am highly delighted that you found the Hotel to be in a great location for your stay in Aberdeen. I will pass on your kind words regarding the staff they are always pleased to hear such good review. I look forward on welcoming you back to hotel in the future