“Don't go here if you're at all disabled”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #18 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Don't go here if you're at all disabled”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Booked two rooms - one normal, one disabled for my 90 year old father. The normal room was fine. Hairs in the bath but otherwise ok. The disabled room was far from ok.
A disabled room should have ideally have a walk-in shower. At the very least there be grab bars to make getting into the bath for a shower a safe possibility for a disabled person. There was absolutely nothing whatsoever in room 100 to help a disabled person have a shower with any degree of safety. So my father did without.
There was again absolutely nothing to help a disabled person get up from the toilet - no rails, bars, handles. Nothing. A wheelchair user could not have used the bathroom at all.
The whole bathroom was an accident waiting to happen, and that room should not have been sold to us (or anyone else) as a disabled room.
I complained to the receptionist but she had no helpful suggestion to make.
We have stayed in Travelodges with better facilities, and more caring staff.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Guest,

I really do appreciate you taking the time to highlight the valid point concerning one of our disabled rooms. Our disabled guests are extremely important to us and as the Hotel has developed over the years all our other disable rooms have been built to the required specification laid out for us. Room 100 however was the first room designed when the Hotel was first built, this I can assure you is up for change. Our classic rooms are away to begin a refurbishment program and room 100 is also on that programme.
As disabilities vary we do have a policy in place to upgrade into another disable rooms should the guest have difficulties in using the facilities in the room they have been allocated. I can only assume all our other rooms were occupied. This I am aware does not help your situation however please let me know of your return visit to us and I will endeavour to make your stay a more memorable on.

John Karwl-Jackes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
uk
Reviewed 8 June 2011

On the seafront at Aberdeen near a selection of different eateries. Comfortable room and good breakfast. Very professional service.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sweedie
Dear Guest,

I must thank you for your kind words, The Hotel has some great facilities near by giving our guest so much more choice while visiting Aberdeen.

Aberdeen
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel 26-28th of may with my fiance, upon our arrival we upgraded to the platinum room (best rooms) we were greeted with a friendly face called victoria who seemed geniunely glad to see us and all smiles. We loved the bath robes and slippers they added a nice touch, the night of the 27th was a really surprising night, we had a long wait for food around 50 minutes but it was worth it in the end food was great hats off to the cheif. We went to codonas near by for a game of bowling which the hotel is greatly posistioned beside. On our return at night about 1am we were greeted by an equally friendly face (Allan) who we bombarded with questions about whats to do in Aberdeen but was very knowledgable and seemed happy to help he also went out his way to find out if there was any concerts happening in the music us he is a great member of staff 10/10. Checkout was quick no problems with our bill and left with a smile on our face GREAT HOTEL

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanMMAberdeen
Dear Guest,

“Thank You, Thank You” for taking the time to first comment on your visit to the DoubleTree by Hilton. Secondly for remembering so many of the team names, it is so important for me as a manager to recognise employees within the Hotel for the work and the extra effort they put in so thank you once again.
I am pleased your visit with us was such a memorable one and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

UK
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Doubletree have a Platinum Club, which is their brand of executive room. In this hotel, the Platinum Club rooms are housed in an entirely separate building adjacent to the main hotel. This means that there is no problem with noise from functions. The Platinum Club building is in a very quiet location, and entirely traffic-free. Most rooms have good sea views. Ample parking.
The room itself was well equipped for a business stay, with wi-fi, internet, trouser press and iron. The minibar contained a small box of chocolates, fresh milk, orange juice, Pepsis and bottles of water, all complimentary.
The hairdryer in the bathroom was one of those paltry hose affairs, that make a lot of noise, but not much hot air. Definite bad mark. Another weak point in the bathroom was the inadequate extractor fan: take a shower, and the walls and mirror get coated with steam.
Like most Aberdeen hotels, there is no air-con in the bedroom. Usually it doesn’t matter, but if you’re (un)lucky enough to strike a heatwave, the room will probably be warmer than you would like. There is a user-adjustable heater.
Downstairs, the Platinum Club lounge has its own bar (drinks served 24/7), but there is no period of free drinks, as in Hilton Exec lounges. It’s a nice place to do some work or have a chat and a drink. There are two complimentary computer terminals. Breakfast is available in the same place. They call it continental breakfast, but the range of food is indistinguishable from a standard full breakfast. Scrambled eggs are the default, but you can order any other type. This breakfast is included in your room rate.
Staff were exceptionally good: efficient, friendly, polite. On several occasions, they were proactive in offering help or looking to solve a problem. Impressive. Unusually for the UK these days, they were all British.
I didn’t have the opportunity to try the restaurants, pool or gym.
The hotel is on the coast. Walk southwards, and you come to some chain restaurants, such as Pizza Hut, Sizzling Woks and a few others. Go as far as the harbour and you can find The Silver Darling seafood restaurant; expensive but high quality.
The Platinum Cub section of this place gets the thumbs-up from me for its excellent staff, quiet location and general comfort.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I rarely get such descriptive feedback I must thank you for all the points you have covered, this helps us in Aberdeen see things from the guests perspective which can only a good thing.
The Platinum club is a special facility offering as you have said that little bit more for our guests comfort. Having all the additional extras for today’s traveller makes being away from home easier and I like to think we do our part to make it less stressful.
I am sure should you have had time to enjoy the restaurants and bar menus that you would have seen the quality and variety our chefs produce. All at the DoubleTree by Hilton look forward to your return visit.

Woking UK
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Stayed here the weekend of the Royal Wedding. Good location, short walk to town centre, but ideally placed for the beach. Pay the extra for the upgraded rooms in the new wing. It's not that much per night and the rooms are really nice. Daily breakfast was a feast. Staff were very nice too. All in all, I'd recommned it.

Room Tip: Opt for the upgrade
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Having you recommend the Hotel means so much to me and the team. The staff at the hotel work so hard to make the guests have a great experience.

John karwl-Jackes
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I'm actually staying in the hotel right now. It's 2am and despite being shattered, I'm wide awake. Had a bad experience with the food last night. But that's another story, for another day.
I taught a nice weekend away would be a relaxing and refreshing treat before returning to work in Monday.
Wrong.
The people at the bar, directly under my room appear will probably disagree with me. But I don't feel a singsong and drunken banter is is ideal for a hotel, with rooms surrounding around the foyer. Ok. I got what a fairly good deal on a last minute website,but I still payed over 130 pounds, for two nights room only. I don't think the room was worth half of that.
Now if I implied the drunken craic at the bar was the main reason I am struggling to sleep, id be a list.
Alfred Hitchcock must have stayed in this room. The film "The Birds" could have been inspired by the rabble on the roof. Now I know sound travels and distorts at night. But this mob are relentless. I'm convinced at one stage they were trying to get in the window. I'm not suggesting for a second that the chef has thrown a loaf of bread directly over our room as punishment for sending food back on Friday evening, but anythings possible.

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Guest

I am so sorry that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and I am also sorry that I did not have the chance to meet with you prior to you departing. If a guest is not happy with anything while staying with us I like to know about it there and then as I can address it before it gets worse. I would like for you to contact me directly at the Hotel so I can discuss the matters with you further.

John Karwl-Jackes

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Got a great deal in the 'sale', my friend and I had a 'girlie' weekend and chose this hotel. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left we could not fault. Check in was quick and easy with a lovely girl on Reception (noticed on her badge she was training - but you wouldnt have known), very friendly, entrance and first impression were 'oh wow, this is lovely'. Lovely little gesture when checking in we received a very yummy cookie! Nice touch. Got to our twin bedded room - ideal for what we went for, enough space for the two of us and very clean, space for hanging clothes, ironing board, iron and hairdryer. Nice touches in the bathroom with the sundries nicely laid out. Arriving back in the early hours the night porter very kindly got us more teabags as we had already used the ones prior to going out - no problems.
Breakfast - well, this was just AWESOME!!!! If anyone could fault the breakfast they must need their head looked at!! Tea/coffee, toast, fresh fruit, yoghurts, porridge, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, fried egg, mushrooms, beans, tattie scones, hash browns, etc etc all beautifully cooked and hot, croissants, hot cross buns etc etc etc. Waiting staff were lovely too. WELL DONE TO ONE AND ALL!!!
It was also VERY nice to see and hear local staff employed at this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure of the prices of what the 'norm' prices are for B & B but what we got our night for was FANTASTIC - would def recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Sounds like you had a fab time, great to hear it. Our girlie weekends are so popular offering the spa treatments and facilities of the pool sauna and much more. Thank you for all your kind words regarding your stay with us and I pleased you found your room comfortable and breakfast selection well received.
Keep an eye out for our future sales and I hope you return again soon

John karwl-Jackes