“Very Expensive Burger”

Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Huntly, United Kingdom
“Very Expensive Burger”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed here on business for one night, hotel is very nice, modern rooms and a free upgrade to platinum room was very much appreciated. However I decided to dine in the main hotel bar, I guess I should have realised all was not well with the bar having only 1 person in it at 21.30 on a week day evening. I selected a "Double" Burger with twice fried chips from the menu, having eaten Hilton burgers before I thought I knew what to expect. How wrong I was, when the burger arrived it was a single burger in a standard burger bun, I checked the menu and again noticed it stated "Double" burger so I questioned the waitress who went away and came back and explained that it was a mistake on the menu and I had the correct dish. I remarked that I though this was rather misleading, the waitress agreed with me smiled and dissappeared. I ate the food, it was a very avergae burger, medium to well done but almost cold, very small salad was acceptable, however the chips were somewhat greasy. When I went to the bar to pay I again bought up with the barman that I thought the description was very misleading, he said that the "Double" on the menu was a reference to "Doubletree" and that they would look to change the description. Now for the real shocker, the price, £16.95 for a very mediocre single burger in a bun with a few chips and very small salad. Compare this to a burger at the bar at the Hilton Craigendarroch not 45 miles away at I believe around £6.20 or if you want a burger experience of the highest quality visit the Malmaison in Aberdeen where a top class burger costs £14.95. I do not mind paying high prices for really good food but I was extremely dissapointed with the meal I had. I think that nearly £17.00 for a burger and chips is way over the top especially when other establishments of a higher quality rating in the same town are charging significantly less for a far better product. This hotel could do so much better, why not charge a few pounds less for a product as described on the menu and one which patrons might return to experience again in the future.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade to the Platinum rooms in a separate building especially if you are a Gold or Plat...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank benlexie
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Benlexie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to add your comments on trip advisor, this is a wonderful tool for our guests to hear your thoughts, I am Really pleased that the team at the hotel looked after you by giving you a complimentary upgrade into the Platinum Club which offers the traveller luxury and comfort when visiting Aberdeen.
All at the hotel work hard to ensure your comfort so it is disappointing when you the traveller is less than satisfied. The DoubleTree by Hilton burger is a meal in its self normally made from the finest ingredients, I have printed off your report and will be looking into the points you have raised to ensure we do not make this mistake again.
Your stay is very important to me and if you would like to email be directly we can work together to restore your faith in the food offering at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen.
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

We have just come back from a wedding where the wedding party all stayed at the doubletree. On arrival the reception staff where not very welcoming although we put this down to the busy period. On checking into our room we found urine all over the toilet seat of the premium room suite and after complaining we were given another room where the shower did not work and was help into the wall clip with a piece of cardboard. Upon complaining and enquiring the cost of the Platinum rooms we were moved free of charge.

I'm my opinion the floors around the hotel were very dirty and looked liked they had not seen a hoover in sometime. The platinum building is what I would first expected our room to be like and I did not see anything platinum or special about this room except that it was clean and well equipped.

Despite the platinum room being nice and the reception staff in this area much more friendly than the standard building I would most certain,y not stay at this hotel again - even if it was given away!

However the food was pleasant and the bar staff very nice friendly and helpfull!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Kalss
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Kalss
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor, I am really pleased you liked the Platinum Club this is a wonderful product giving our guests a wonderful space and a real home from home feeling. I would also like to thank you again for the kind words regarding the team at the hotel as they work very hard to ensure that our guests are well looked after.
The classic room type you reserved is undergoing a refurbishment programme currently and we have almost completed one floor, giving our guests a wonderful relaxing stay, to ensure no disruption to your comfort we have completed this process in stages and shortly we will be doing our corridors and stairwells. The hotel is such a popular choice as our location gives the guest such a variety to do while in Aberdeen from shopping in the centre to a stroll along the beach, please do come back and visit us in the future.
John

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Jesup, GA
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had a huge, very comfortable and clean room in the Platinum Club wing. The Manager, John, was extremely friendly and gracious, making sure we had a room with a view of the beach. Can only speak from our experience, but the two nights we stayed here we had no complaints!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. Check in was 1 pm, but room only ready at 2 pm.
Room very average with very small TV and bathroom old fashioned and cleanliness very poor.

In the evening we decided to have dinner in the hotel restaurant and that was very disappointing. The food was cold and over cooked and we were served by an apprentice waiter who had to return 3 times to recall the food order that was placed.

The breakfast was a poor selection and not inviting, one morning there was no bowls for cereal and fruit and the waitress extremely slow to fetch more bowls for the buffet.

The area was boring and not within short walking distance of the central city.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mette V
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Guest,
I was disappointed to hear you faced challenges while staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City, I and the team are always looking to hear from our guests so we can improve our client’s expectation.
Just to clarify the point you made concerning check in, without having your arrival date to be able to check the facts, I am guessing the hotel was full the night prior to your arrival, we do as a rule try to get our guests checked in as quickly as is possible, however we do advise guests on making a reservation that check in is from 2 pm.
If you would like to contact me directly concerning some of the point you raised so I can gain further information that will allow me to look into the matter further
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, and reception staff really welcoming on arrival, we also got a warm cookie on arrival which is a nice touch.

Rooms were nice, but could do with an update and a few repairs as the sink in our room was all cracked. We stayed in room 237 which had a high window that didn't have a shutter or a blind to close, so we were woken up at 4.30am with the sunlight coming on the window, myself and my partner were looking forward to our long lie as we had been out the night before, so we were dissapointed with this. The room was also noisy as it sounded like the heating was clicking on and off all night, so this kept waking us up through the night, this was very frustrating.

We have booked to come back again with another couple in July as its for their anniversary, and we were told by friends that this hotel was great, in my option based on our stay it could have been a lot better, so we hope our experience will be a lot better next time.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Guest,
It is always great to get constructive feedback from our guests something that the team on property can work with. I am looking forward to your return visit in July; please make me aware when you are going to arrive so I can have the pleasure of showing you the completed part of the refurbishment.
Being so close to the city centre and the beach gives our guests plenty to choose from, we are the only four star hotel within the city centre that offers a wonderful leisure club and ample parking on site. What most enjoy about the location of the hotel is the fantastic walks along the beach. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,
aberdeen
Reviewed 30 April 2012

In entering the elevator there was countless scratches and graffiti, On the first floor the walls were marked, scratched, dented and cracked, the carpet was an absolute disgrace throughout aswell. In entering my room the stench of cigarette smoke was overpowering and the amount of stains and rips all over the carpet was phenomenal, the room was far from clean and the bathroom was by far the worst, apart from being very dated, at least three tiles were broken, the paint was discoloured on the roof and sides, the sink was cracked and there were bad cigarette burns on the sink, the bath itself had discoloured seaIant and was badly stained, the toilet was very old and in a state of disrepair, with grime and dirt over the light switch.
I stay in Hiltons regularly, and stay in various hotels with business and on social occasions on a weekly basis. So much so that before checking in i joined the hilton honours club for the amount of times i frequent these hotels. I've been in "2 star" hotels in third world countries that have eclipsed this hotel.

In complaining at reception i was merely told that i should call them in advance and i would get a better room in future.
If the rooms are in such a dire state of disrepair they should not be charged out at all, let alone at full price!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to make your feelings felt. It is difficult for me after you have checked out to be able to follow up on your allegations. However that said the hotel is going through an exciting time with the refurbishment of our classic bedrooms, this process is over 1/3 complete, I would also like to mention our new restrooms and the upgrade of the conference & event facilities within the Hotel. State of the art design furniture gives our clients a relaxing yet professional environment to hold any event, and this is just the beginning.
The team at the hotel work very hard to ensure that our guests satisfaction is met, yet sometimes I guess we may get it wrong, however errors can always be rectified, Please should you feel un happy with the service you receive ask for me directly or the Duty Manager, I hope you will come back to the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen City and give us another opportunity to show you we have the qualities in the hotel you as the guest is looking for,
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Reasonable hotel but certainly not 4 star as advertised. My partner and I stayed there last Saturday night and while the hotel is quite nice our room was rather tired in terms of decor. There was a crack in the wash hand basin and the seal between the bath and the wall tiling was discoloured.

The staff were quite nice and the food was adequate.

The word adequate just about describes this hotel with the exception of the " Arrival" cookies which were excellent !!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kieran1948
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor. Listening to our clients is so important to us and as a result of what our clients have told us we are making progress through the hotel, by completing a phase at a time of our improvement plan, this has begun with our Classic rooms, we have also completed the public restrooms and from this we moved into the leisure club where we have improved the facilities to our shower rooms. Our improvement plan is ongoing, it’s like in your own house we get round the whole property and then think to ourselves I need to star over it is a never ending process, yet one we take at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen City extremely seriously.

On your return visit please do ask for me or one of the management team who would be only to pleased to show you how we are developing.

Once again thank you for taking the time to feed back your thoughts on the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen City.