DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Always stay here on trips to the theatre, Stayed again last week and as usual check-in was quick, lovely warm cookies and off to the room.Our premier family room was clean and decent size, Breakfast was brilliant as usual,plenty of choice for all and piping hot. The hotel was busy with a wedding reception and there was a 10k run next day but we had no problem getting a table for breakfast, Staff excellent as usual, Look forward to staying on our next visit to the theatre.
If there is one gripe it would be the cost of food on your Atrium menus for bar suppers, prices are really steep and on this occasion we chose to eat out. £16. 95 for basically burger & chips and not much cheaper for fish & chips is extortionate.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mairsScotland
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Dear Contributor,
I am really grateful for your encouraging words as the team at the hotel work hard to ensure all our guests leave us as you have full of positive thoughts and amazing memories. I have to agree with you on the Premier Rooms they are one of my favourites offering you so much space and a really comfortable feeling. Some of our largest rooms are of the Premier Type which gives a family a vast amount of space with two bathrooms allowing you all to get ready that little bit quicker.
After you mentioned the cost of the food in the Bar we have reviewed the menu, I will add that our burgers are homemade and we use some of the best quality produce we can source. That said I believe there is always room to improve whatever you do, so I will also be working with the Kitchen to develop any improvements we can make.
Many Thanks for your thoughts

Reviewed 22 May 2012

In previous reviews i have rated the Hilton Garden Inn as one of the best in Aberdeen. To redress the balance, Hilton offer us the DoubleTree.

In short, this is like spending a night at your grannies house. Furniture, bathrooms and all round look and feel of the rooms is stuck in a time warp and in serious need of modernisation. The bulky CRT tvs are a case in point. It is clean and the bed is comfy, but considering the room rate for the most basic (or ‘Classic’) room is £165 a night, this money can be better spent on many other clean, comfy and modern hotel rooms elsewhere.

To top it off, for that money you don’t even get free in room wifi but have to pay £15 for 1 days access. This is simply not up to standard for a hotel that must see a lot of business traffic. Free wifi must surely become a standard, particularly at these rates.

The breakfast offering is also one of the worst I’ve experienced... ‘cheap’ would be the word to best describe it. Value bread, fruit past its best, and cereal that has turned soft.

Sorry Hilton, I will not be back until there are major changes. This is way over priced and no number of welcome cookies can justify that.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest
I am really pleased you have taken the time to feedback to other trip advisor readers as this give me the opportunity to defend some of the points you have made. I am guessing from the description you have given of the televisions your stay was prior to the beginning of our exciting refurbishment programme.
We have began by working our way through the classic rooms which is proving to be hit with our guests, the televisions you mentioned in the premier rooms have all been changed for the most up to date models.
Ensuring the guest receives the best value for money is a priority for us this is why we have many packages available for example the Platinum Club offers complimentary wifi and a wonderful spacious lounge to relax, unwind, have a drink or order a wonderful meal from the chefs new exciting menu. I would like to ask you to contact me directly and please do return, so I may be able to show you the improvements we have made, for the comfort of our clients.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed here on business for one night, hotel is very nice, modern rooms and a free upgrade to platinum room was very much appreciated. However I decided to dine in the main hotel bar, I guess I should have realised all was not well with the bar having only 1 person in it at 21.30 on a week day evening. I selected a "Double" Burger with twice fried chips from the menu, having eaten Hilton burgers before I thought I knew what to expect. How wrong I was, when the burger arrived it was a single burger in a standard burger bun, I checked the menu and again noticed it stated "Double" burger so I questioned the waitress who went away and came back and explained that it was a mistake on the menu and I had the correct dish. I remarked that I though this was rather misleading, the waitress agreed with me smiled and dissappeared. I ate the food, it was a very avergae burger, medium to well done but almost cold, very small salad was acceptable, however the chips were somewhat greasy. When I went to the bar to pay I again bought up with the barman that I thought the description was very misleading, he said that the "Double" on the menu was a reference to "Doubletree" and that they would look to change the description. Now for the real shocker, the price, £16.95 for a very mediocre single burger in a bun with a few chips and very small salad. Compare this to a burger at the bar at the Hilton Craigendarroch not 45 miles away at I believe around £6.20 or if you want a burger experience of the highest quality visit the Malmaison in Aberdeen where a top class burger costs £14.95. I do not mind paying high prices for really good food but I was extremely dissapointed with the meal I had. I think that nearly £17.00 for a burger and chips is way over the top especially when other establishments of a higher quality rating in the same town are charging significantly less for a far better product. This hotel could do so much better, why not charge a few pounds less for a product as described on the menu and one which patrons might return to experience again in the future.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade to the Platinum rooms in a separate building especially if you are a Gold or Plat...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank benlexie
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Benlexie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to add your comments on trip advisor, this is a wonderful tool for our guests to hear your thoughts, I am Really pleased that the team at the hotel looked after you by giving you a complimentary upgrade into the Platinum Club which offers the traveller luxury and comfort when visiting Aberdeen.
All at the hotel work hard to ensure your comfort so it is disappointing when you the traveller is less than satisfied. The DoubleTree by Hilton burger is a meal in its self normally made from the finest ingredients, I have printed off your report and will be looking into the points you have raised to ensure we do not make this mistake again.
Your stay is very important to me and if you would like to email be directly we can work together to restore your faith in the food offering at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

We have just come back from a wedding where the wedding party all stayed at the doubletree. On arrival the reception staff where not very welcoming although we put this down to the busy period. On checking into our room we found urine all over the toilet seat of the premium room suite and after complaining we were given another room where the shower did not work and was help into the wall clip with a piece of cardboard. Upon complaining and enquiring the cost of the Platinum rooms we were moved free of charge.

I'm my opinion the floors around the hotel were very dirty and looked liked they had not seen a hoover in sometime. The platinum building is what I would first expected our room to be like and I did not see anything platinum or special about this room except that it was clean and well equipped.

Despite the platinum room being nice and the reception staff in this area much more friendly than the standard building I would most certain,y not stay at this hotel again - even if it was given away!

However the food was pleasant and the bar staff very nice friendly and helpfull!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Kalss
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear Kalss
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor, I am really pleased you liked the Platinum Club this is a wonderful product giving our guests a wonderful space and a real home from home feeling. I would also like to thank you again for the kind words regarding the team at the hotel as they work very hard to ensure that our guests are well looked after.
The classic room type you reserved is undergoing a refurbishment programme currently and we have almost completed one floor, giving our guests a wonderful relaxing stay, to ensure no disruption to your comfort we have completed this process in stages and shortly we will be doing our corridors and stairwells. The hotel is such a popular choice as our location gives the guest such a variety to do while in Aberdeen from shopping in the centre to a stroll along the beach, please do come back and visit us in the future.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had a huge, very comfortable and clean room in the Platinum Club wing. The Manager, John, was extremely friendly and gracious, making sure we had a room with a view of the beach. Can only speak from our experience, but the two nights we stayed here we had no complaints!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. Check in was 1 pm, but room only ready at 2 pm.
Room very average with very small TV and bathroom old fashioned and cleanliness very poor.

In the evening we decided to have dinner in the hotel restaurant and that was very disappointing. The food was cold and over cooked and we were served by an apprentice waiter who had to return 3 times to recall the food order that was placed.

The breakfast was a poor selection and not inviting, one morning there was no bowls for cereal and fruit and the waitress extremely slow to fetch more bowls for the buffet.

The area was boring and not within short walking distance of the central city.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mette V
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Guest,
I was disappointed to hear you faced challenges while staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City, I and the team are always looking to hear from our guests so we can improve our client’s expectation.
Just to clarify the point you made concerning check in, without having your arrival date to be able to check the facts, I am guessing the hotel was full the night prior to your arrival, we do as a rule try to get our guests checked in as quickly as is possible, however we do advise guests on making a reservation that check in is from 2 pm.
If you would like to contact me directly concerning some of the point you raised so I can gain further information that will allow me to look into the matter further

Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, and reception staff really welcoming on arrival, we also got a warm cookie on arrival which is a nice touch.

Rooms were nice, but could do with an update and a few repairs as the sink in our room was all cracked. We stayed in room 237 which had a high window that didn't have a shutter or a blind to close, so we were woken up at 4.30am with the sunlight coming on the window, myself and my partner were looking forward to our long lie as we had been out the night before, so we were dissapointed with this. The room was also noisy as it sounded like the heating was clicking on and off all night, so this kept waking us up through the night, this was very frustrating.

We have booked to come back again with another couple in July as its for their anniversary, and we were told by friends that this hotel was great, in my option based on our stay it could have been a lot better, so we hope our experience will be a lot better next time.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Guest,
It is always great to get constructive feedback from our guests something that the team on property can work with. I am looking forward to your return visit in July; please make me aware when you are going to arrive so I can have the pleasure of showing you the completed part of the refurbishment.
Being so close to the city centre and the beach gives our guests plenty to choose from, we are the only four star hotel within the city centre that offers a wonderful leisure club and ample parking on site. What most enjoy about the location of the hotel is the fantastic walks along the beach. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,