“Ok if you don't mind party noise!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
wrexham, north wales
“Ok if you don't mind party noise!”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We booked a 'premium' room as we were visiting our friends who were on a 50th birthday weekend only to discover that there are 2 parts to this hotel. The 'classic' side which is definitely NOT 4 *. We were allocated a room overlooking the main atrium right above the main function room - what a nightmare!! Weddings had been booked for both nights we were there. No thought whatsoever to guests who have travelled quite a far distance and the fact they may need to sleep? Surely common sense would dictate that party guests are allocated those rooms as they're the least likely to be disturbed by party noise as they are attending the party?!
First impression on leaving the lift was awful. Marks on the wall and holes in the carpets. To be fair the hotel were in the process of refurbishing and just our luck the following day we had NO lobby carpets just sticky floors where contractors had taken the carpets up.

Shortage of staff is an issue. We were kept waiting at breakfast to be allocated a table and even once we were seated had to get our own hot drinks. To be fair the few staff that were on tried as hard as they could to keep up with demand.

Although charged over £110 for this 4* room apart from the horrendous location we were met with air conditioner unit hanging off the wall and a cracked sink.

After complaining several times to reception we were met with very unhelpful reception staff no one was bothered or tried to help. I have never come across anything like it before just complete disinterest.

Our friends who HAD been allocated all their rooms in the 4* platinum suites were equally shocked at the difference in attitudes between both sides.

Although it was wonderful weekend and we enjoyed a special time with our friends I felt our weekend had been severely tainted by the unhelpful ness of the staff and the noise from the function room on the two nights we were there.

The hotel is ideally suited for the beach and all it's facilities as previous reviews have stated but would I stay there again ? Definitely not!

Room Tip: Always specify a platinum suite room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jmac1907

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed 5 October 2012

As a seasoned traveller I would say this one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and certainly the best in Aberdeen.

The room was recently refurbished to an exacting standard and the bathroom was exceptionally clean and tidy.

After 8 hours of unbroken sleep I awoke to see the sun streaming through the window.

Then onto breakfast, clearly a key factor in assessing the quality of any hotel, and I’m pleased to say that I wasn’t disappointed with the selection, quality and temperature of my full Scottish breakfast.

I’d like to pay special thanks to the team at Hilton for making my stay so wonderful.

Yours

M O'kanne

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in "Platinum" wing of hotel, complete with its own breakfast/business lounge and separate reception. Had to stay there as rest of hotel full. Would not have stayed/paid the rate if any choice. Very expensive for what you get...normal hotel room with a few added luxuries, but poor wifi in room - good wifi essential to business travel I would suggest. Dining room and bar area for food totally soulless - needs a complete rethink! Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Colin G

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in Aberdeen. The bathroom was yet to be refurbished but that is no excuse for it being dirty. My room faced on to the atrium but also had a window higher up with natural light - however I didn't bargain on seeing that light at dawn when the draft from the poorly fitted window caused the blind to flap and light to stream on to the bed area. Worst of all was the noise. I don't know if it was the aircon for the atrium or what but every 10 mins or so a clunk and whirring noise broke that arrival of 5 mins of what sounded like a lorry engine idling in the room. Not a wink of sleep. Breakfast was no better. Most of the 'hot' breakfast items were luke warm at best and the tea was from a flask which had been sat there for certainly more than 20 minutes (which by the way is the length of time that had passed before I had to ask for a hot drink as no-one asked me).
I have stayed in quite a few Hilton hotels and have never had a complaint before. I expected nothing less from the Aberdeen Doubletree but was left very disappointed.

Room Tip: Go to different hotel!
Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank KirstyJ296
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear Guest,
I really appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments on the hotel. It was disappointing to read your thoughts on the Atrium Bedrooms some of our guest really enjoy these bedrooms. The Atrium design has been a popular choice with designers over the years and many top hotels took this concept. I can see why it is not to every ones taste, however we at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen are exstreamly fortunate to have other room types available, should you look to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can best advise you
Kind Regards
Landskrona, Sweden
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed at hotel 1 night june 23/24 2012 while travelling in Scotland. The price was good ant the general impression of the hotel was OK, but it could be better. The place needs renovation. We had some trouble at the reception while checking in and checking out. It seemed that the booking system was not quite working. It was not very clean in the showers to the swimming pool and there were blankets on the floor to stop the water. While showering I lost a piece of jewelry and asked the assistant to help me. he promised to look it after but next morning we had to leave and I never heard from the hotel it they found it or not. We were really satisfied with the dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food ant the service were excellent we even got a birthday cake at such a short notice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dona_Nils
Dear Guest,
First of all a belated Happy Birthday. I was so pleased to hear that the team looked after you and you really enjoyed the menu, the team at the hotel work hard for the guest to ensure your experience with us is a good one.
On the refurbishment it is such good news we have just completed one of the saunas and the other will begin soon, all the new corridor carpets are now completed, the classic room type is 75% complete, the list goes on.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Scotland so I may get the opportunity to show you the completed works.
Kind Regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We first stayed in the Doubletree when it was called The Patio Hotel about 8 years ago. We really liked it then and stayed 3 or 4 times. Having gone back this weekend after a few years break, we noticed how tired the hotel looks. However, they are in the process of refurbishment so hopefully when we next visit, it will look better again. I still think it's the best located hotel in Aberdeen, only 10 minutes walk from the beach and the same in the other direction to the city centre. Having stayed in some very noisy hotels in the city centre, it's nice to get a hotel that you can get a good sleep in! We also appreciate having the swimming pool for a morning dip, although that area also requires upgrading now. I would still recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Aberdeen but would add a warning that it is 'old'.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AandA_8
Dear Loyal Guest,
Thank you so much for your supporting words, the hotel is a wonderful property in a great location and one that the team who work in are very proud of.
I am pleased you noticed you the changes we have made concerning the refurbishment programme. This has been achieved with no interruption to our guests comfort, On your next visit you will see many changes and should I get the chance to meet you I would like to show you around the hotel and explain the improvements in more detail.
Once again thank you for informing our trip advisor readers of your visit and for your kind words
Regards
Glenrothes
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We booked 3 rooms for a Thursday and Friday night via Easy Breaks to celebrate my mother in law's 80th birthday. We booked two double rooms and one twin room. Two of the rooms had been refurbished and one was awaiting refurbishment. My mother in law's room which had been refurbished, had 3 problems with it. The remote control for the TV was faulty and had to be replaced. The clock alarm was not working and worst of all the heater in the room did not work. After complaining about this a fan heater was brought fairly promptly to the room.
In our unrefurbished room, the carpets were stained and the sink was cracked. However, the bed was new and very comfortable. Two of the rooms were facing into the atrium of the hotel overlooking the bar and reception area. I found this a bit claustophobic as there was little natural light. In the restaurant we had paid for dinner, bed and breakfast but discovered that there was a £25 allowance. The meals at evening were so expensive that it was vitually impossible to get a three course meal without spending extra. Starters for example cost at least £6 with main courseson average £16 - £20. On the first night a steak had to be returned 3 times as it had been undercooked. At breakfast on the final day the restaurant was very but there were only 3 waiting staff working that we could see. Although it was a buffet style service tea and coffe was being served by the waiters. After 30 minutes no one had asked if we wanted tea or coffee and i had to look for a waiter to ask for it before finally being served. When we returned to our rooms to collect our cases, all the carpets on the first floor had been ripped up leaving a sticky glue surface to walk on. All in all not impressed. I have stayed at other Hilton Hotels and the quality and standard of service were much better than this. Perhaps once the refurbishment is complete and if the can get their act together in the restaurant it may improve. I have stayed in much better 3 star hotels. There is no way this is a 4 start hotel. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room looking outwards with some kind of view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family