“Not a bad location.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I've stayed in this hotel many times, but never reviewed it, and have to say nearly every time my room has been quite good. The room i had this time 227 an inside room, it was clean decor was ok bright and plenty of sockets. the room looked down into the bar and lounge area. Some inside rooms have a window high up which can be opened some don't, depending on which room you get you can get a lot of noises from the gulls squawking outside. When i stay at the double tree i always go for the fish which is always spot on , a glass of wine can be a bit pricey nearly a fiver, you can nip round to asda and get a bottle for that price, and shops aren't that far away. The only thing about the doubletree which i don't like if you have a early checkout on a sunday, no cooked breakfast before 0730 only continental, i've no idea how much a room costs as it's paid for by my employer, an no doubt i will stay here again in the near future.

Room Tip: Certain rooms can noisy in the morning due to the seagulls.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear Guest

I am really pleased you enjoy the hotel and especially the fish which is one of the best sellers. Our menu offers you a variety of choice from Aberdeen Angus Steaks to the DoubleTree Burger.
The challenge you have faced with regards to the breakfast time at the weekend, please in future let me know that you are staying in house and I will ensure the kitchen get you your cooked breakfast before you leave.
Thank you for feeding back on your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back and arranging that breakfast for you.

John

Write a ReviewReviews (1,453)

Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

Good service and nice, well-sized rooms. Breakfast was disappointing: usual selection but tasteless sausages, undercooked bacon and fried eggs that had been waiting forever were not good. Still do not understand what, if any, benefits I get as a Diamond card holder, especially in relation to the platinum hotel, whatever that is.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Travel_Duck_UK

Dear Guest,
Hilton Honour Diamond Members are very important to us and the Platinum Club is given as a complimentary upgrade to Diamond Members subject to availability. The Platinum Club offers the guest very spacious luxury rooms in a separate wing of the hotel, with its own reception desk that ensures you are not queuing after a long journey or a hectic day at the office.
The Platinum Breakfast has its own chef that is on duty to cook your eggs to order, so I was disappointed to hear that the eggs you chose from the buffet was not to your expectation.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed in a premier club room. The bedroom was large with a comfortable sofa. Nice king size bed with comfortable pillows. As the hotel is only two storeys high the windows opened fully. There is a fitness centre and pool but I didn't use it on this visit. The bathroom was ok but a little dated. Breakfast could be better - the bacon was undercooked for my liking and the beans and egg congealed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and our Premier Club Rooms, these rooms are wonderfully spacious and having the addition of the sofa gives you that extra space. On your next visit with should any items on the breakfast buffet not be cooked to how you like it please, please ask as the team and I would want you to leave us having finished your stay with a great breakfast.
You must try out the leisure club on your next visit as the pool and gym are a wonderful place to relax having the addition of a steam room, sauna and spa there is something for everyone.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

We booked a 'premium' room as we were visiting our friends who were on a 50th birthday weekend only to discover that there are 2 parts to this hotel. The 'classic' side which is definitely NOT 4 *. We were allocated a room overlooking the main atrium right above the main function room - what a nightmare!! Weddings had been booked for both nights we were there. No thought whatsoever to guests who have travelled quite a far distance and the fact they may need to sleep? Surely common sense would dictate that party guests are allocated those rooms as they're the least likely to be disturbed by party noise as they are attending the party?!
First impression on leaving the lift was awful. Marks on the wall and holes in the carpets. To be fair the hotel were in the process of refurbishing and just our luck the following day we had NO lobby carpets just sticky floors where contractors had taken the carpets up.

Shortage of staff is an issue. We were kept waiting at breakfast to be allocated a table and even once we were seated had to get our own hot drinks. To be fair the few staff that were on tried as hard as they could to keep up with demand.

Although charged over £110 for this 4* room apart from the horrendous location we were met with air conditioner unit hanging off the wall and a cracked sink.

After complaining several times to reception we were met with very unhelpful reception staff no one was bothered or tried to help. I have never come across anything like it before just complete disinterest.

Our friends who HAD been allocated all their rooms in the 4* platinum suites were equally shocked at the difference in attitudes between both sides.

Although it was wonderful weekend and we enjoyed a special time with our friends I felt our weekend had been severely tainted by the unhelpful ness of the staff and the noise from the function room on the two nights we were there.

The hotel is ideally suited for the beach and all it's facilities as previous reviews have stated but would I stay there again ? Definitely not!

Room Tip: Always specify a platinum suite room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jmac1907
Reviewed 5 October 2012

As a seasoned traveller I would say this one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and certainly the best in Aberdeen.

The room was recently refurbished to an exacting standard and the bathroom was exceptionally clean and tidy.

After 8 hours of unbroken sleep I awoke to see the sun streaming through the window.

Then onto breakfast, clearly a key factor in assessing the quality of any hotel, and I’m pleased to say that I wasn’t disappointed with the selection, quality and temperature of my full Scottish breakfast.

I’d like to pay special thanks to the team at Hilton for making my stay so wonderful.

Yours

M O'kanne

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in "Platinum" wing of hotel, complete with its own breakfast/business lounge and separate reception. Had to stay there as rest of hotel full. Would not have stayed/paid the rate if any choice. Very expensive for what you get...normal hotel room with a few added luxuries, but poor wifi in room - good wifi essential to business travel I would suggest. Dining room and bar area for food totally soulless - needs a complete rethink! Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Colin G
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in Aberdeen. The bathroom was yet to be refurbished but that is no excuse for it being dirty. My room faced on to the atrium but also had a window higher up with natural light - however I didn't bargain on seeing that light at dawn when the draft from the poorly fitted window caused the blind to flap and light to stream on to the bed area. Worst of all was the noise. I don't know if it was the aircon for the atrium or what but every 10 mins or so a clunk and whirring noise broke that arrival of 5 mins of what sounded like a lorry engine idling in the room. Not a wink of sleep. Breakfast was no better. Most of the 'hot' breakfast items were luke warm at best and the tea was from a flask which had been sat there for certainly more than 20 minutes (which by the way is the length of time that had passed before I had to ask for a hot drink as no-one asked me).
I have stayed in quite a few Hilton hotels and have never had a complaint before. I expected nothing less from the Aberdeen Doubletree but was left very disappointed.

Room Tip: Go to different hotel!
Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank KirstyJ296
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear Guest,
I really appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments on the hotel. It was disappointing to read your thoughts on the Atrium Bedrooms some of our guest really enjoy these bedrooms. The Atrium design has been a popular choice with designers over the years and many top hotels took this concept. I can see why it is not to every ones taste, however we at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen are exstreamly fortunate to have other room types available, should you look to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can best advise you