“WORTH EVERY PENNY”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We booked a platinum room (2nd time we've stayed here) could not fault anything!! the room was a generous size with excellent views across the beach. The soft drinks & chocs in the mini bar were complimentary!!..Can't wait to go again,worth the extra everytime.

Room Tip: we had room 509, with views across the beach
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback Gordieloon, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Doubletree by Hilton in Aberdeen and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre

Reviewed 18 May 2013

The service, food were 1st class the staff were excellent from checking in to dining in the restaurant or the Atrium Bar. We stayed in the Platinum Suite was above and beyond what we expected. We will be back when we can. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear guest, thank you for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Doubletree by Hilton in Aberdeen and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Mostly the hotel is good. I did not find the staff rude - in fact they were very helpful.
The hotel is not really that old - but it is showing signs of being well used. The toilet roll dispenser had the central shaft missing - and one light did not work. (ROOM 218 if anyone from Hilton reads this).
The bar meal was very good - so was breakfast. The only problem (very slight!!) was that I had to ask for coffee twice before it was delivered. I guess the staff got distracted by something else.

Room Tip: If you book through the Hilton website & ask for an optional upgrade & go for a Diamond room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Dear James, thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at Doubletree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, I will certainly share your feedback with my staff and I am grateful that you took the time to comment in such detail, and thank you for letting me know about maintenance issue in room 218
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I came to stay here last month well let me tell you it was all going wrong as soon as we stepped in the door. We checked in at 2pm by a recepionist Jordan what a rude girl all becuase we didnt leave our credit card detail, cookie was thrown at us and was told were everything was and times etc. We were given room 200 this room i wouldnt even let my dog stay in this it was like going back to the 70s. I asked to speak to the duty manager Gavin well this guy was awful he was nervous and a bit shakie and didnt seem to care about the room "sorry we are full" he said not the attitude for a duty manager. So we left the cold smelly room to go and have dinner. We were seated basically at the entrance of the restaurant and waited approx 10 minutes for our drinks to be taken by a fairly large girl no customer service skills at all. We ordered our food which was 2 soups 2 fish pies. The soup came out 15 minutes later cold tasteless and not worth £5 after she cleared our starters she asked us if we wanted more drinks our glasses were full so i declined and then had notice a rather large piece of broken glass floating in my coke. I called over the heavy waitress and showed her the glass she apoigised and got me a fresh one. Main course came 20 minutes later hot pot but cold pie 1 prawn in each of our pies tasteless. We refused to pay for our meal and left to go to elsewhere. On return to the room we were climing into bed when my husband noticed 2 large brown stains in the bed sheets we phoned reception and explained they were sending the duty manager along to change them. Bang bang bang on the door if he knocked any harder he'd be through the door. Opened the door and there he was he came in took the sheets off and put fresh ones on not even a explaination or an apoligy and tutted going out the door. We didnt sleep that night as the was a function in the room across from us the music went on till 2am and the guests didnt leave untill 4am. After a sleepless night we went for breakfast well the buffet was nothing special dried up scrambled eggs dried beans and burnt bacon. I asked the waiter for fresh fried eggs he kindly got them from the kitchen. After breakfast i asked reception to speak to the manager Hemment? The receptionist tried calling him and was told he was busy! I would not recommend anyone to stay here. staff is very pleasant but managers dont know how to run the place and very much up their own back sides.

• Stayed: April 2013
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Thank you for your feedback, and please accept my apologies that everything was not to your satisfaction during your recent stay with us. I am extremely disappointed to hear your comments and having just investigated this with my team they too are very upset with your remarks. I take a lot of pride in recruiting and training my team including my managers who have been selected for their customer service skills. We are always working extremely hard to ensure all our guests are delighted and in fact I do receive regular compliments from our guests.

I am sure you will appreciate that occasionally things could go wrong as happened on this occasion. We always try to resolve them in a courteous and professional manner and that being said I am more than happy to have that conversation should you wish to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 6.30pm to be told our room wouldn't be ready for 1 hour as they were short staffed. We sat at the bar & had a glass of wine & a burger each. This would normally be free if your room isn't ready. We got to our room to find it freezing so we switched the heating up & quickly got ready to go out. We returned around 2am to find our room still freezing so the heater was obviously broken but nothing we could do at 2am so we paid for a movie filled out the card for breakfast in bed & fell asleep. After a shower in a frozen room we tried to call reception to see why our breakfast was late to find all the phones not working. I went down to reception to let them know & my breakfast card was sitting at the bar so they said they'd get it up ASAP. It arrived with all the wrong items & no cutlery sauces or milk do I had to go all the way back down. I complained to one of the worst managers ever he said he could refund my movie & he hoped we could stay again (at full cost to us) to see if they have improved. This was after I'd told him I've stayed there around 20 times.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your feedback, it is extremely disappointing to hear that you had poor experience eith your recent stay with us. I can assure you I have reviewed your feedback with my team and have taken all your comments on board.
My colleague has written to you directly to the same email you provided us, and I sincerely hope to hear back from you. Once again apologies for the obvious inconvenience caused on this occasion and I hope to welcome you back at Doubletree by Hilton Aberdeen soon

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed overnight on a business trip. The room was a good size, comfortable and well decorated.
The food in the restaurant was very good especially the Aberdeen Angus steak. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful with nothing being too much trouble from check in to check out.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback, I am absolutely delighted that you had enjoyed your stay with us and glad to know that my staff have looked after you well, its always encouraging to hear and I’ll certainly pass on your comments to them. Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back at Doubletree by Hilton Aberdeen.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I’ve had many great and memorable times in what I still refer to fondly as the Patio Hotel – several dinners, a wedding, a couple of Christmas party nights, being honoured guests invited to stay in the Platinum Club wing when it first opened, and hosting my late parents’ surprise Golden Wedding do there, (with Daniel O’Donnell joining us being the biggest surprise).

The hotel, with its lush atrium layout, has always reminded my husband and I of one of our very favourite hotels we frequented a lot when we first lived in Sharjah in the UAE, way back in 1978 – the Sharjah Continental - and for that reason I have a great affinity with the place, but hadn’t visited since Aberdeen’s only seafront hotel lost its Patio name, by becoming a DoubleTree by Hilton hotel.

I had had a little difficulty making our dinner reservation for myself and three girlfriends. I had telephoned the hotel a week before, and the phone just rang and rang for about a minute and a half, so I had to hang up and call again a second time. This time it was answered by John at reception but he was unable to put me through to the Restaurant the twice he tried, so said he would take the reservation and pass it one, but he did seem a little flustered. I called on the day to check all was in order, and although the most efficient person can totally forget something like that when really busy with a non-stop stream of guests checking in and out, John had been true to his word and passed on our booking.

On arrival there were some cosmetic changes, but on the whole, things seem much the same. My three friends were shown to our table while I paid a visit to the ladies toilet. Trust me, but the cubical I chose had no toilet paper - and very unusually, no spare - so I discretely mentioned this to the female receptionist on my way back to the restaurant.

A huge clothing rail for guest’s coats when they are attending large functions was being wheeled into the dining area ahead of me – turned out that one of my friends had asked where she could hang her coat, and they had no coat stand as you often see in the corner of restaurant entrances, so this rail on wheels with about 60 coat hangars on it was swung into commission, and remained just across from us with two of our party’s jackets hanging on it all evening!

We'd browsed the menu, decided what we all wanted, and sat for 7/8 minutes, before I finally asked if someone would take our drinks order. They were not in the least bit busy, so why the dreadfully lacking service?

I cannot remember when last I was required to pay for bread before or accompanying meal, but this is what the Doubletree by Hilton deem impressive to diners about to spend anything up to £50 a head n a meal. Personally I wasn't fussed, but one of my lady friends fancied some bread, and it is nice to nibble while you wait for the food, especially as this particular little group pass on the starters, to leave room for desserts. Bread is £3 and the waiter decided we required two portions, but we declined that, thank you very much - we'll be the judge of that. Didn't stop them adding £6 for 2 portions to our bill. £3 hastily removed when we pointed out this error, but how many folk don't always check their bills too carefully? Discovering from a friend that waiters here are forced to 'push' extras to diners explained this, and makes me quite livid, and especially if they feel the need to add the cost of what you decline anyway, in the hope you won't study the bill in too much detail.......especially if your company is paying, I guess.

As it was, we waited over 20 minutes for the bread to arrive, and it only came after I asked where it was. Sure enough our main courses came with it - the Restaurant Manager 'invented' the excuse that the waiter had thought we wanted the bread with our main meal - who wants to wait until then for their bread?

We chose two Chicken Schnitzels and two Fish Pies both of which were around the £17 mark, but with a steak sandwich being an extortionate £15..... The chicken was a very large portion of what seemed to be two fillets beaten flat per portion, but served on a big lump of tasteless mash, with just 4 vine tomatoes on top, and two minute swirls of some tomato sauce or other, so while the chicken was moist and tasty, the entire meal was somewhat dry. The Fish Pies arrived in very nice little oven baked pots which kept the dish really hot, but the lid would have burnt the fingers off you, and it was quite difficult to eat out of in a tidy fashion. The Fish Pie was deemed 'quite fine' and the Parmesan topping made it tasty. I saw some delicious large prawns being devoured from the pots.

The unwelcome 'cabaret' of the apparently stressed and over-stretched Restaurant Manager having a go at one of the admittedly dozy waiters right at the side of our table was somewhat revealing, shedding a bit of light on the service we'd had up until that point. He launched into telling the hapless young chappy that he was, "setting tables, taking orders, taking phone calls and taking reservations from guests in the Atrium," and he was making it clear this particular staff member was certainly not pulling his weight in comparison. Needed saying, but not right beside diners. Thereafter another young gawky waiter appeared on the scene from somewhere else too.

The desserts seemed rather at the top of the price range for Aberdeen at £7 - yes, I do know desserts come in at around £10 in London, but our average here is still £5.50/£6.00 even in 4 star eateries. Two of us fancied the Apple Crumble, with a special ice cream, and it was the best apple crumble I've ever tasted, but it was a slightly unusual take on this classic pus, and my friend was not so impressed with it. The apple slices were huge, and still had bite, and had almond slices and slivers included. The topping was minimal, not the huge among of stodgy crumble you often get, but that’s how I like it. This was served in mini versions of the oven pots the Fish Pie had arrived in, and kept it wonderfully hot. I loved the accompanying ice cream. The other dessert choices were a Macerated Strawberry Pavlova and a Parfait - the Pavlova was good, and the Parfait extremely disappointing. It was a pitifully poor sized portion of Parfait, if that isn't a mouthful in itself, and the accompanying pancakes and raspberries looked like they were what had been returned from another diner's plate, they were such a mess. Three mini pancakes literally the size of a £2 coin and a tablespoon of mashed raspberries were unacceptable really - not worth £3, never mind £7.

Two of us decided we needed a cuppa - two Peppermint teas were ordered. We'd have waited until we got home, had we know they would come in at an outrageous £3.40 each!

I used to love the Patio, so this visit was a really sad disappointment. I struggle to say much positive at all - service was very lacking, food was only okay, very overpriced, and certainly not what you'd expect in a 4 star hotel, and there was little or no welcome or atmosphere. We did have two Spree Vouchers which took a total of £28 off our bill, but we still paid more than we often do in far better restaurants.

Places like this appear to become so complacent when the bulk of diners appear to be residents on company expenses who just take what they get after a hard day's business, and want back to their room to read a book, watch the TV, or call the family. Problem is diners like us, and bear in mind two of us are responsible for organising company accommodating/events, spread the word if a place is good or bad, and give careful consideration to any booking we make for our companies.

With so much competition, and so many really good places around, nowhere can afford to be as unimpressive as this DoubleTree by Hilton is. As my friend said, "well, we won't be hurrying back" and that's a bit of an understatement following this very unimpressive visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Larsonsmummy

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback, I will be certain to share the problems surrounding your dining experience with my team and apologies for the obvious inconvenience caused on this occasion.

We take all feedback very constructively, and constantly use this feedback to improve our standards and services, and I can assure you we are looking at each aspect that you have commented on to ensure we do achieve an improved performance. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you soon.