“Awful, awful, awful.”

Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Awful, awful, awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Checked in and within the first 3 nights was moved room 3 x, one of which I was not told about and returned to the room to find that my belongings had gone. Each time was downgraded due to a 'large party arriving'. This large party turned out to be a wedding in the Friday night which kept every paying customer in the hotel awake throughout the night. No apology from the staff for any of the issues. Awful service but generally typical from Hilton. Not to mention, rooms look on to breeze blocked wall and are constantly roasting hot.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Polish first
Herts, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed last week for a business trip (actually at the hotel) and first time staying there. Not sure what to expect but very pleased at the end of the day - ate exclusively in the hotel - good menu that was varied enough for the 3 days visit and food always well cooked and presented. Bed was super comfy and choice of TV viewing good although the menu interface was a little quirky and slow to respond. All team members were very helpful and kind, patient and aware. Not that I had time to take advantage, but location is just a few yards from the coast promenade with its views across the sea and some brazing walks if the mood takes you :-) Would recommed

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

The visit was in December 2012 for business with family in tow.

My favourite, the Hilton Garden Inn, was booked so we went to the Doubletree.

Overall: The hotel is alright. I do recall this as being under another name years ago, but it seems to have gone thru a Doubletree transformation. The one limiting point is that Doubletree design is usually for larger rooms. Having said that, I would stay again.

Room: Two Queen size beds and three people made it a tad snug, but perfectly acceptable. Sheets , bed, etc. were top notch. It does seem to get stuffy and the heating is hard to figure out.

Staff/Service: No complaints. Service in the breakfast room was more than fine. Front desk and concierge were on the ball.

Pool: A real bonus. Indoors and a great way to relax.

Bar area: its actually the centre of a large spacious lobby and its not intimate, but it is fine and service was fine.

Parking: Plenty

Location: Near Beach Blvd and for some who break into a sweat if they have to walk 100 feet, it could be a turnoff. But its five minutes from the St. Nicholas Centre by foot, and it has the bonus of being quiet in the evening.....anyone who has stayed in City Centre will know that the noise that comes from the crowd leaving the bars.

Food: Breakfast was the only meal at the hotel we sampled. It was buffet and more than fine.

Al in al, I booked this because I had to, but I would have no hesitation returning or recommending.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Overall the hotel is fine but I was hoping for more from a hotel that typically charges over £90 per night.
The staff are very friendly and welcoming, the room was perfectly clean and the cookie (given free at check in)was tasty, and it was free using AVIOS point gained from BA.
However the bed was uncomfortable, the heating kept turning itself on and our window looked out onto a wall about 3 feet away so no daylight, also got the feeling we were given the worst room because we didn't pay for it.

• Stayed August 2013
Bari, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed with my family on Aberdeen this summer, and we've stayed on this hotel. Our stay has been very relaxed and without problems. The room was very good and nice, just the window were a little bit small.... but in my opinion it wasn't so important, because there was light anyway :) The room had all things and all was clean. The staff was kind and expert, congratulations to restaurant and its chef.... the dishes were delicious ..... especially cookies, salmon fillet and sticky toffee pudding !!!! We loved them :) The atmosphere was elegant and high ..... we've really enjoyed !!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Gavin C, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear Maria A
Thank you for your kind comments - we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I've passed on your feedback to the departments concerned, as it is always a pleasure to receive such feedback. We hope to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton very soon.
With best wishes.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I'll start with the positives - the staff we encountered were all friendly and courteous and the hotel location is great for families.
Now the not so good - The dining area feels a bit grotty - the chairs and curtains need a good deep clean. This impression wasn't helped by being given a high chair for our baby daughter which was ripped and encrusted in dried food. Not pleasant.
Very disappointing as this hotel should be a great place for anyone with children looking for a base to explore Aberdeen.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear SR74
Thanks for taking the time to write a review, and I'm delighted to hear your comments about our staff; we're very proud of our team. However, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience in the restaurant and we'll make sure these things are addressed. As you mentioned, we are at a very convenient location for families, and I hope you will return again soon, when you can see the improvements for yourself.
Best wishes.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Having stayed at several Double Tree by Hilton hotels I was somewhat dissapointed by this hotel in Aberdeen. The roomtemperature was way too high even on a cool summerday and there was no airconditioning. I could not keep my drinks cold as there was no minibar/fridge in my room. I received a free password for WiFi which was only available in the hotel lobby. Those are essential matter for a modern traveller, and something I do expect when staying in a 4 star hotel. The room was small and located right above an entrance where laundry and other goods were delivered which caused some disturbance. It seems like most of the frontdesk staff were not british, but they were very friendly and helpful. Location of this hotel is close to the sea/beach and just a 10 min. walk from the main shopping area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DTH70
Dear DTH70.
Sorry to hear that your experience did not match that of your stays at other DoubleTrees which is disappointing, however, we have taken your feedback on board. Next time, I hope you will have the chance to stay in our Premier rooms as they are more spacious and have a fridge in the room. Our Platinum Club rooms are more luxurious still, and come with free internet and complimentary soft drinks and fresh milk in the fridge. Also, I'm very pleased to hear that you were impressed with our international team of staff - I'll be sure to let them know.
Thanks again for your review.