“Awful hotel!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel this week.
The room was awful! The tap over the sink was plumbed in incorrectly, with the hot and cold feed fitted the opposite way round to the taps hot/cold indicators, so when I went to wash my mouth out, having cleaned my teeth, I ended up filling my mouth with boiling hot water!

Also the air conditioning didn't have a dial to adjust the temperature (it looked like it had broken off) and there wasn't actually an off button, the only way to shut it up (I'd liken the sound/volume to a 747 starting up) was to tell it to both heat and cool at the same time, although after about 2 hours it'd restart itself, and due to the noise, wake me up.

Then there were the paper thin walls/door, which meant that I could hear every single person walking past my room, and opening the door in the hallway just outside my room. And of course I could hear everything going on in the rooms above me, and either side of me. Great...

Also the solid bed left me with back ache the following morning, and breakfast looked like it'd been sat there for several days, a prime example being the pancakes which were absolutely solid! Maybe they could use those to improve the sound proofing in the rooms!

Then there was the internet, which we had to pay £15 for, which wasn't working, at least they had the sense to remove this from the bill.

The hotel is in dire need of a refurb, with wall paper coming away form the walls and the bathroom having mould around the bath, but I doubt that will happen any time soon!

Having paid £275 for the room for 1 night, I'm less than impressed. I stay in at least 8 different hotels each month all around Europe, and this is one of the worst. We usually stay in the Hilton Garden Inn, which is an excellent hotel, but the only hotel left with rooms available for our stay was the Doubletree. Now it all becomes clear why it was the only hotel with rooms available.....

Also as a side note, I'm not sure how they get away with saying that its in the city centre, when it clearly isn't!

So to sum up, it has to be one of the worst hotels in Aberdeen, especially for the price. Aberdeen hotel rooms are always pricey, but this one is the worst in terms of quality/price ratio! avoid at all costs!

1  Thank JET187
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Overall very good service & good accommodation also very good location. I will try next trip with my family. During the room service there was no any additional tomato catchup! any how still satisfied.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here on 2 separate occasions lately and the rooms are nice and clean and comfortable the staff is friendly its not a bad walk into Aberdeen centre either,.

3 problem's I had with this place is the pillows are terrible no matter how many pillows you have they compress down to nothing and wrap round your head its the must uncomfortable and frustrating thing ever.
Second problems is the price of the food £30 for a steak that personally I would be embarrassed to serve,
Third problem is my room on my first stay was on the I inside of the building and so the window looked into the bar area inside and for natural light there was a skylight but when I opened the sky light the noise from the air conditioning unit on the roof was unbearable so I had to decide whether to die of heat in the room or be kept awake all night by the constant him of the A/C unit

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2013

it was great hotel to stay for weekend with friends...staff at front desk was very friendly and helpful....room was nice as we have premier club room....we was given room at 1st floor so lift is not a issued as it very slow to wait. Staff at Café was friendly too and nice selection of food during breakfast. once again thank you to all the staff for making our trip to Aberdeen enjoyable.

Room Tip: lower floor so no need to wait for lift as it very slow and always full..
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Bed room was fine but the excess of use of cushions instead of pillows. Bathroom needs a serious update. A bath seems excessive while the shower system does not only belong to a past century but seems to leak water. I wonder is they wait until a client complains before they check all the workings of a bathroom.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Patricio P
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Good location for the beach but that was about it. Tried to book and stay in the platinum duplex suite but was told no children during the week and it will not accommodate 2 adults and 2 children! Never heard of the Hilton not allowing families and those with a diamond membership access to rooms. So we stayed in a very old small family room 309 incredibly over priced. Breakfast is very basic with most food sat under hot lamps congealing. Such a shame as the atrium has been redeveloped and was quite nice. Should also mention that the corridor is very noisy especially when you are trying to get children to sleep . Carpets in corridor need ripping out and renewing with holes in and held together by black tape.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank bunny1
Reviewed 16 November 2013

As a birthday treat from my other half he had booked the platinum junior suite, I have always wanted to stay here so I was really excited!

Check in was a little bit if a wait as there were 3 other in front, however the staff were really friendly. Something I want to point out was the lift was broken so I had to wonder how guests with mobility problems would have coped!!

The room was really spacious, huge bed, lovely views of the beach and great little touches like complimentary soft drinks and chocolates in the fridge provided, towelling robes (only 1 per 2 guests) 2 pair of slippers, free wifi and a complimentary drink from the bar which is provided by a ticket from reception upon checking in.

The complimentary cookie on check in was amazing , warm, delicious and huge, loved it!

One down side to the suite was the cleanliness, the bathroom was not up to the standards I expected, when I ran my hand along the unit in the bathroom my hand was covered in thick dust, not to mention a hair in the bath, (the type of hair you do not wish to find) yuk! Disgusting!!

The suite carpet in the living area looked to have cigarette burns, and lots of stain too!

Anyways the room was comfortable and very cosy, I did enjoy it!

Housekeeping need to up their game though, was a bit of a let down!!

Stayed: October 2013