“Intimidating staff and poor service”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
United Kingdom
“Intimidating staff and poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I will try and keep this brief and trust that you bear with me. I'll start with the good bits - nice shower/bath, nice toiletries, hot cookie on arrival, shortbread/tea/coffee in the room and a lovely, comfortable bed.

Then I went and spoiled it all by visiting the restaurant. I was given a menu and made my choice but no one came to take my order after about 15 minutes or so. The hotel didn't appear busy and there were plenty staff on duty.

I then moved to the bar and ordered there. The starter came and, although it was not hot, it was edible. I mentioned this to the waiter and he said that he would tell the chef. The waiter didn't tell me the chef's reply so I asked to see the chef who apologised and gave me a free Ice Cream.

The main course was also cold so the waiter returned it to the kitchen. I was given a second main course which seemed hot enough but by the time the waiter brought me cutlery, it was cold. The waiter then returned the second main course to the kitchen.

However, as I was late for phoning my wife (my ordeal started at 07:50, this was now 21:38), I asked the receptionist if she would kindly phone my room when the dinner came (the 3rd main course). I went to my room to phone my wife on my mobile phone and the room phone rang as I was phoning my wife. I then finished the call (which showed a total of 6 minutes 28 seconds on my call log), and went down to the bar to be told that, as I was absent, they had binned my 3rd main course!

I was informed that the fourth main course would have to be something other than my original order as that was a 'restaurant meal' and the restaurant was closed so I had to choose from a 'bar meal'. The 4th main course, I may say though, was lovely and piping hot.

It was only when I was checking out the following day, however, that I noticed that they had charged me for the meal that they threw out! I spoke to the manager who, rather aggressively, told me to pay as the wasted food was my fault as I had been on the phone to my wife for 45 minutes!

I mentioned the problem with the starter and he very kindly deducted that.

I feel rather aggrieved at having to pay for a meal that I did not have but, as I felt intimidated by the manager's tone, I thought I had no option.

Suffice to say that I'll avoid this particular hotel in future.

Room Tip: I think I'm right in saying that all room windows overlook the bar area so there is no external...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights which was booked by work thankfully.

Firstly, bathroom was dirty and mouldy and plumbing was round the wrong way on the bath/shower taps. Bad smell coming from the plug holes too.

Room and hotel decor is drab and dull and really needs some money spent on it, they could use the massive profits they must be making on the incredibly overpriced food to do this.

£30 for a steak!!!!! Which looked like it came straight from the bargain reduced section from a corner shop.

Breakfast food was lukewarm and very poor choice.

For £275 a night you would think you would get something really special. Dont be fooled by the words Hilton in the hotel name, its certainly not what you would expect from them.

Overall, stay somewhere else.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Functional and close to all amenities. Nice hotel in general. Only thing that spoiled the stay was the condition of the bathroom. I had friend s staying in the superior rooms, and much more plush and worth the extra if it's not too much!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

A good night's sleep was of paramount importance to us so we decided to treat ourselves to an overnight stay at this hotel after a very long drive and doing the return drive the next day. The first room we were allocated was just off the main reception area/bar was very noisy - there was also some kind of drinks reception for a 'do' going on in the reception which added to the overall racket and all within about 20 yards of our room - I asked if we could be moved to a quieter room and this was attended to efficiently and quickly by reception - the 2nd room was an oasis of peace and tranquility - till the disco started (which sounded like it was next door but was probs downstairs) - the decibells were even louder than the first room we had been allocated but we were weary and the thought of having to pack up all our belongings again for another possible move was very inconvenient so we decided to make the best of it - needless to say I lay awake for hours listening to every beat of the music until the wee small hours when the party ended on what I can only describe as a hard uncomfortable bed. This is my first experience of staying in a Hilton hotel and not what I expected at all. Whilst the room and hotel was pleasant enough, neither were anything special, however, it was the level of noise which spoilt our stay and was very unacceptable, especially as we had already asked to be moved from a noisy room but then to be allocated what turned out to be an even noisier room was very bad service indeed in my opinion. I would definitely NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to anybody who wants a good nights' sleep and as to whether I would stay at another Hilton Hotel again is very debatable.

Room Tip: insist on a room away from all noise from the outset and be aware that even if a room appears quiet...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MagentaJo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Had a really nice stay and the price of the room was excellent as part of the package for Bring a Party to a Party. The food was delicious. evening meal and breakfast. Room was lovely and had a great sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Shetland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

By far the best of the branded hotels that we have stayed in in Aberdeen. I would highly recommend this hotel. There was a cheerful friendly staff, a clean and bright hotel, a warm cookie on arrival and many extras that one expects from a Hilton Brand Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Fantastic value, family friendly and great facilities. Our family of 4 stayed for just the one night and did not find fault with any aspect of our stay in Aberdeen. We will certainly use this hotel whenever we are in the area again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you Phillipa B for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you and your family found the hotel family friendly and enjoyed the great facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards