“Some rooms nice, most rooms drab & miserable, like a prison”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
London, United Kingdom
“Some rooms nice, most rooms drab & miserable, like a prison”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed in one the Platinum rooms which were pleasant and well-appointed, large bed and a view to the beach.

I stayed again in one of the rooms in the main building. The room was like a prison cell with a small window high up so that there was very little natural light in the room. The furniture was tired and worn. It was dark and miserable. Just depressing. There were photocopied signs up everywhere throughout the building
"Do not use this door - it is a fire exit"
"Do not touch the air conditioning"
"Do not use the spa-pool if.. "
"No-one is allowed to"
which made you feel like you were in a prison rather than a valued guest in a hotel

There was only one member of staff on reception - meaning long waits to do simple things

The pool and gym were left unattended at times which I would not have thought was a good idea - particularly when kids might be there (when I left the pool, the member of staff on duty walked away behind me leaving it unattended even though other guests were still in the facilities)

Every where I went I was made to feel unwelcome - the hotel felt totally mean-spirited - for example they told an HHonors Gold member (in front of me) not to touch the hot food at breakfast as he wasn't entitled to it

There was no evidence of Scottish hospitality anywhere.

The Welcome to the Doubletree Aberdeen brochure (in the rooms) saying welcome from the team contained photos that clearly were from different hotels (the photos had a different city in the background)

This is probably one of the most miserable hotels in the Hilton chain. I would avoid at all costs

I sat in my hotel room wishing I was anywhere ANYWHERE but there. I couldn't wait to get away. Which was a shame as the local beach was great and Aberdeen is a grand city.

Nasty hotel. Nasty attitude. Avoid

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David M
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear David M, Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your classic room. I appreciate that you were upgraded as a Hilton HHonors Gold member when you arrived at the hotel and we gave you a room in the Platinum Club. Unfortunately as you decided to stay an extra night we were unable to provide you with an upgraded room (due to the Platinum Club being full) and therefore had to allocate you a classic room, which you had originally booked. I apologise if this room did not meet you expectations. I thank you for your feedback which we appreciate and will investigate fully.

Kind regards
Hemant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A good hotel for a business stay, the rooms are quiet and comfortable, the restaurant and room service are first rate and the staff are pleasant, friendly and helpful. There is also a good fitness centre with a decent sized swimming pool.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Gavin C, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Daer Murray C. Thanks for taking the time to write a review, and it's great to hear that you found the hotel to be comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful. We're glad that you like our food - our restaurant menu is changing again this month and I hope you will have the chance to sample some new dishes next time you stay. Thanks again for your feedback. Gavin.
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I agree with another reviewer that this hotel is of a great standard. From check in with the warm cookie, clean comfy room, attentive friendly staff and great food for dinner and breakfast, this hotel is perfect for business and leisure

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Fifer1973. Thanks for your review - it's really great to hear that you enjoy staying with us, and thank you for your continued loyalty. The whole team will be delighted to hear your comments when I tell them. Many thanks again. Gavin.
Ayrshire
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Yes, the rooms may be a little dated, but they're a good size & very clean. From the moment we checked into the hotel, every single member of staff is a credit to the Hilton chain from receptionist, bar staff to waiting staff. Our 3 year old loved her cookie at check in, nice extra touch as was the rollaway bed they had put in our room to accommodate her, at no extra charge. It beggars belief that someone in previous review can make such criticisms about the breakfast. The selection was vast to suit all tastes from wide range of fruits, cold meats & cereals to the full hot breakfast. 10 minute walk to city centre, but sits right opposite beach with variety of eateries & great play park. My only negative comment would be only 1 female changing room for the pool. Well done hilton staff for making hotel what it is & for great 1st impression of our visit to the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gavin C, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Claire B. Many thanks for your review. We're delighted that you and your family had a good stay, and it's especially good to hear that you were well looked after by the staff. Thanks too, for your comments about our DoubleTree breakfast - I do agree that there is a plentiful selection for our guests to choose from. We hope you'll have the chance to visit Aberdeen again, and we look forward to welcoming you back. Thanks again for your feedback. Gavin.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hotel as usual is excellent, friendly staff, good food, good bar. Unfortunately this stay we had a large party staying over in the hotel. This party were extremely inconsiderate, the room opposite mine had people, (felt like an army) constantly banging on the door to gain access at 2am,3,30am,5.00am, I did mention this on check out and they had a few complaints from other guests.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Gavin C, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Simon D. Thanks for your review, and I'm sorry that the noise from neighbouring guests spoiled what was an otherwise enjoyable stay for you. We do our best to ensure noise levels are kept down during the night, and I've shared your comments with our night team so that they can keep an eye on this in the future. Wishing you a much better night's sleep next time you stay. Best regards. Gavin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We enjoyed an excellent weekend stay in the Doubletree Hotel which is ideally located close to city centre and to the beach boulevard,. The reception staff were welcoming and immediately handed over an envelope which had been left for me along with two hot cookies for our consumption. On this occasion we only had breakfast in the hotel but this was of a high standard and on both mornings we got very good service especially from Inma. Our room on the first floor was spacious and comfortable but there was some external noise as it was immediately over a storage area.
The coffee bar service was prompt and the young lady in charge was friendly and helpful.
All round the staff were a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review, jerryattrick, and we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend stay with us. It's always a pleasure for us to receive such positive comments, and I'll make sure that your feedback is passed on to Inma and the rest of the team. Thanks for your continued loyalty, and we hope to see you again soon. Best regards. Gavin.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights. Still not able to believe that this a hotel maintained and run by Hilton chain. Rooms are old and lacking any style. I stayed in the Premier Bedroom. The room was dark and dingy. The bathroom didn't have a proper shower, the hand shower had to be adjusted to be used as shower. The breakfast was absolutely minimal, same menu throughout the week and average taste. To add to all this the internet was down for 3 days. I had to sit in the lobby to access internet. They kept working on the problem for 3 days !! It was really annoying to not have internet access in the rooms.
I still cant believe that I paid such a high price for this hotel. Disappointed to say the least. To be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Suddu85. Thanks for taking the time to write your review, and I'm sorry that not everything was to your satisfaction.

Regarding the internet, it sounds like there was an isolated problem in your room, as the lobby internet was working, and had we known at the time, this could have been resolved.

Our Premier rooms are decorated in a traditional style, and I know this is not everyone's preference. We hope you will try one of our Classic or Platinum bedrooms next time, which are decorated in a more contemporary style, and hope you will have a much better experience. Thanks again for your feedback. Gavin.

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels