“Not what i expected!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Having stayed for 2 nights last week for business I had no choice but to book at the Hilton. Way over priced for what you get in a standard room. It's clean enough but very small. I had my dinner one night in the hotel to which I found it very expensive for food. I also had to pay 20 pounds for wifi for my 2 day stay which is a joke considering it cuts out half the time. All in all I'm very dissatisfied with my stay in such a well sought after brand of hotels .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Scott M, thank you for reviewing your business stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay and I apologise if we have let you down on this occasion. I can confirm that we are in the process of upgrading our wifi and if you have any future stays with us I am sure you will notice the improvements made.

Kind regards
Hemant

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here for one night while on business last week, Room was poor being small and looked on to the bar area with very little natural light. Hotel location is central and close to the seafront. Having to pay for WIFI in the room despite having paid £260 for the room for the night is poor in this day and age. Wouldnt rush back, being a regular visitor in Aberdeen there are plenty hotels that are better and better value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Gavin C, Operations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear David Y

Thanks for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton, and I'm disappointed to hear that you only found the hotel to be "average". Some of our Classic bedrooms do overlook the Atrium, and if you prefer a room with an external view, we can try to allocate you one if available on your next stay. WiFi is complimentary for all guests in the Atrium bar and reception area, and also for Gold and Diamond members of our Hilton HHonors loyalty programme. Guests who stay in our Platinum Club also have free internet for the duration of their stay.

Although disappointing for us to hear, we do appreciate your feedback, and hope we can change your perception if you have the chance to stay again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great hotel in a great location. Lovely bar area. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. Really enjoyable stay. I got a good deal otherwise would be outwith my budget but delighted with the rate I got through their direct website. :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gemma C

Thanks, Gemma C, for such a lovely review and I'm glad to hear that the staff looked after you when you stayed. We always have the best rates on our website, so hopefully you will have the chance to book again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was our first time in Aberdeen and in your hotel. The hotel was better than excellent in every way but a very special word about all the staff, they acted far and above the call of duty and this includes the bedroom staff who rarely get special mention. We would highly recommend your hotel to all our friends. You are free to publish these comments on on your website. Again thank you for making our stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Eamonn N

Dear Eamonn N

I't s great to hear that you had such a positive experience when you stayed at the DoubleTree. The housekeeping staff do work very hard, and I'm very pleased that you noticed their good work. I have passed on your praise to the whole team, and they are all delighted too.

Many thanks for your review, and hope you will visit us next time you are in Aberdeen.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed for one night and had a comfortable room that was a good size, the only downside being a weak shower over the bath (should really be a separate walk-in shower for these prices). Disappointing breakfast - reasonable choice but even though I was one of the first in the restaurant the hot food was only warm and there did not seem to be a chance to order fresh eggs or kippers that are normally offered in this class of hotel.
Only a five minute walk into the cirty centre so lots of choice for evenings out.
I would use again if the price was competitive but could not recommend this. Not what I was expecting for a Hilton linked product.

1  Thank Guy O

Dear Guy O

Thanks for your recent stay with us, and I'm glad you found the hotel to be comfortable. Sorry about the disappointing breakfast though - I will look into this with my management team. We do offer fresh eggs cooked to order, and based on your feedback, we have now placed a sign on the breakfast buffet so that guests know they are available.

Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope you'll have the chance to return in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Check-in & out very fast. Staff very friendly and helpful. Restaurant extremely expensive with small portions although quality was good, would advise eating out in the many places around the area. Good breakfast buffet. Only there for 1 night.

1  Thank Martin Howard M... E

Dear Martin Howard M... E

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. It's great to hear your positive comments, especially about the staff. However, I'm sorry to hear that you found the restaurant menu to be expensive with small portions, as this is not typical of the feedback we receive, but I will review your comments with the Chef nevertheless. We also have a daily specials menu which our guests find offers good value for money, and hope you can try this on your next visit. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

What an experience! Dangerous room. Unclean ladies changing room in spa (floor not cleaned daily, same hair clips on floor there three day running and always littered with dirty towels on floor, so room not monitored. Food vouchers required to eat in restaurant to save £5, why not just give £5 off if you eat there, why waste time with silly vouchers! Wifi, again passwords given for free wifi, all on pieces of paper, waste of time. Checked in, told no room even though booked through their own number (apparently I spoke with America, surely their problem not mine!) then they found a room!!! Given room with adjoining door that was unlocked, no thank you. Given another, ok! First night there found faulty door on our room, could be opened from the outside (without a key) even though lock turned on the inside. Called reception, sent up 2 deputy managers. They saw the faulty door said they would get it dealt with in the morning and informed us now to put top lock on. No sleep that night. Reported to reception that morning to make sure dealt with whilst we were out. Went out, on return asked if door fixed, told didn't know, to check myself and let them know. Again could open from outside without key. Reported again. This happened every day we stayed, no-one knew what had happened the previous shift. 2nd night, didn't sleep. 3rd night drunks outside, lift alarms going off throughoutvthe night, again no sleep! On day we were leaving, checked out, offered 10% off. Explained door faulty, and dangerous and believe a bigger issue and not paying for the room until issue resolved. Paid for extras, food was ok. Manager rang once we were home, told me their managers did not see a fault, no fault to door, we'd been offered another room, he'd charged my card the full amount. This was all lies, the managers did see the fault, they did not offer another room, the door was faulty, and I stated when I was at the hotel that I did not give permission for anything to be taken from my card until this issue was resolved. I was told by the receptionist, that woukdn't happen! It took arrogant managers to call and tell me what I was, they don't care about safety of visitors. Eventually give 50% off room. It wasn't about the money, it's about safety. It's ok for your door not to lock from the outside, because they don't care. They are a joke. I finally request vat invoices to cover what they have taken, they tell me one figure, I explain £20 not included, I was told it was right. I receive my card statement and low and behold the £20 is there but not on any invoice. I email and they call and resend a correct invoice. They do not know their backsides from their elbows. I will never stay with them again, they offered me an open 12 month invitation to stay for 2 nights, even though I said I would never stay again. No thanks just fix the doors and make your visitors safe!!!! On business with family and young child! If I had been on my own I would never have known that the door wasn't locked when inside!

Room Tip: The day we checked in, another visitor threw his members card at them and said never again! Don...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MMMandMAMandDAD
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Aberdeen Doubletree City Centre. Although I am extremely disappointed to hear that you felt the room was unsafe, as mentioned earlier I have fully investigated the whole situation and can say that the duty manager offered you to move rooms which you declined. All our rooms as per Hilton worldwide standard have deadbolts operated from inside of the room and also a door bar / chain for additional security.
This was pointed out to you when you chose not to move rooms.

I can assure you the room in question was checked by our maintenance team and no fault was found hence the 50% off room was just an offer of goodwill for your overall experience. We at Doubletree by Hilton worldwide consider security and safety of our guests to be of utmost importance and at no point was your safety in danger during your stay. Once again I am sorry that you felt that way.

Regards