“good value, decent hotel for a cheap night.”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #60 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 May 2014

stayed here as my friends function was being held there, room was big and bright (windows could do with a clean but no biggie) nice big bath but shower wasnt the best, free wifi and a cheap bar. Reception staff were very friendly even when phoning us about noise complaints. would deffinetly stay here again :) only annoying thing was the 11am check out... i couldnt work out why they needed 3 hours to clean ther room....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Place is horrible. Dirty smelly corridors. Restaurant toilets were covered in skidmarks. Poor food. Rude foreign staff. When you walk in it looks lovely but its all fur coat and no knickers. Rooms were a throwback from 1968 uneven floors things hanging off walls such as sockets and curtain rails.

Avoid like the plague

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank fingersmcg
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I had to change hotels in Aberdeen at short notice and got a deal at the Station Hotel. I was worried when I read the Trip Advisor reviews and was going to cancel the booking. I called the hotel and staff assured me that I would be pleased with the hotel. When I arrived I was fully prepared to kick-up a fuss if the room wasn't up to standard. My room was on the fourth floor and I had absolutely no complaint. The room was newly decorated and furnished had all the mod cons and an en-suite bathroom which was also freshly re-fitted, The staff were mega helpfull and the restaraunt and bar made the stay all the more enjoyable. The Hotel itself is due a major re-fit and I have no doubt they probably have some ropey rooms but I never saw anything to complain about. All the facilities you would expect of a good hotel were in place.

Room Tip: Try for a fourth floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed here for business and so it was only for one night.
The reception area is lovely, as is the lounge/bar area. Staff were more than helpful at check in. For me the rooms are the issue - they are tired and old with cracks down the walls. I was on the top floor and there was damp at the skyline in the hall. The shower had no power and so I had to dance around it to get wet!
Don't pay for breakfast - it was an extra £19!! I'm beginning to think that because it's Aberdeen they can charge whatever they like! The breakfast was poor, the bacon etc was sitting under what I presumed to be heat lamps however I now think they were there for decoration as everything was cold and the eggs were rubbery. There is a shopping centre across the road that has a floor of cafés and restaurants that would serve a better breakfast at half the price.

Great location but not worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We go to the station every week for dance classes and noticed the dining room was getting busier and busier each week. It seems the traditional Hight Tea menu was pulling people in.
Four of us went for High Tea before our class (at 5.45pm on a Thu) and we were not dissapointed, far from it, we were really impressed.
The servce was truly excellent. As we hadnt booked, the waitress asked us to take a seat for a few minutes while she gets a table cleaned for us. We were seated in less than 3 minutes. Drinks order taken and food order off to the kitchen.
Toast came out to the table almost immediately after the drinks. Stacks of butter, marg and jams already on the table.
Main courses were:
2 x home made smoked haddock fish cakes.
1 x home made beef burger
1 x steak ale and mushroom pie
The haddock fish cakes were one of the best I tasted. Full of tasty smoked haddock and cooked to perfection. Fish cakes served with side salads and bowls of chips or new potatoes.
My burger came with 2 x rashers of bacon and cheese slices a small side salad and a big bowl of chips.
The steak pie was also excellent. Lovely flavours and a nice thick sauce coating the delicous steak chunks.
The 3 tier cake stand arrived after the main meal and there were scones with fresh cream and whole strawberries, a plate of coconut slices and banana slices, and the top plate had cupcakes.
What a meal, what a bargain price. Hard to believe you can get all that food for £7.50 a head.
The girls who served us deserved a big tip.
If you do fancy an old fashioned High Tea at the Station, make sure you book as I think we were just lucky to get a table.
Absolutely faultless from start to finish.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Where do I begin? I took up this place because I made the unfortunate error of booking late for my official trip - and it happened to be during the time when the ships come in.

The reception was unmanned for a good 15 minutes for no good reason, with folks queueing up in frustration. When I eventually got my room keys, I was pointed in the direction of my room in utter disdain.

The corridors reminded me of a Stanley Kubrick horror movie, although the stench and stains were not a part of the medieval decor. The room looked tired and dirty, and I was contemplating sleeping at the station outside. The duvets should carry a warning - used to lift heavy machinery; tread carefully. The bathroom was OK, but remember to carry your own towels (and some penicillin), if you plan on using the bathroom.

When I eventually hit the sack, placing my own shirt over the pillow covers, for what seemed to be blood stains, the suffocation in got the worst of me. Of course, the windows did not open! So I went down at 3 am in the morning to check at the reception, and all that the receptionist could tell me was - Oh, that's sad.

Long story short - make friends with the sea gulls and stay at the station, rather than the station hotel, if those are your only two choices.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank AdiM86
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed in the Station Hotel between the 11th and 14th April. It was cheaper than the other hotel we have stayed in last year when we visited but excellent value, excellent location and we would come back again. The duty manageress was very friendly and apologies that the hotel was awaiting a major refurbishment but for the money no complaints. Food in the hotel was excellent and located next to the station and Union Square the best shopping in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: April 2014