“Poor Service, Customer Relations and Dated rooms”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #60 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Poor Service, Customer Relations and Dated rooms”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were traveling to Aberdeen for my partners birthday night away and were looking forward to getting checked in and to start our relaxing weekend away.

Unfortunately check was a sign of what was to come. The receptionist on duty had no clue of what customer service is, "I've already charged your card so just pay for your extras" and " If you want breakfast you need to pay for it" even though my breakfast was pre paid for. Also when asking if we could book a time for dinner we were told we had to go and do it ourselves.

The room we were given is something you would expect to find in the Hotel Inspector, room 240 avoid at all costs. There was paint flaking off the ceiling, wall paper coming off and the ceiling above the bath was starting to come down. Not to mention we book a large double and got what could only be described as a large single bed certainly not a full double.

We dinned out for lunch but when we returned we decided to have a drink in the bar after waiting for more than 10 minutes with not one member of staff coming near us we had to go to reception to ask if someone could come and serve us, We purchased a bottle of wine yet again poor service as no ice Bucket was offered to which we had to ask for.

Dinner was o.k food was fine however yet again service let the whole experience down i asked for an Bearnaise sauce to go with my steak and to my disbelieve the waiting staff said, " i have never heard of that one write it down for me" as she passed me her check pad. Also when seated at our table there was all of the breakfast settings on it, Jams, sugars side plates which is just not acceptable especially when you have reserved a dinner table.

During our main meal the staff started to bring out toaster, cereal and other breakfast commodities which put us off our meal and made us feel as if we were being rushed.

The worst was yet to come, we went out for a few drinks to return to the hotel to the room above us clearly having a party when we called reception the night porter said he would look into it after 20 min the noise was still there so we called again and he said he would go up again, yet again this time an hour from our original call to reception we called again to which the reply we got was "there is no noise above you are you sure" enough was enough we went down to repetition to speak directly to the staff as this is clearly not acceptable and being called a liar is certainly not on.

The first night porter we spoke to said there was nothing he could do as the hotel was full, so we went outside for a smoke to return inside to see a different porter behind the desk so we asked him if there was any other room to which he replied yes and gave us a different room key, and moved us room.

When these points were brought up to a very unhelpful Head Chef in the morning with all he kept saying there is nothing a can do i do not have the authority is just diabolical after all he was the duty manager and a failed call from their Head Chef which he said he would do on the Monday never happened

After waiting for 2 days we finally received a call from senior management who was apologetic and understood our issue and could not of tried any harder to help resolve this issue but to be honest at this point it was to late and the damage was done no wonder this hotel is 58 out of 61 for Aberdeen in future i will be checking on TripAdvisor before staying away.

Avoid this hotel at all costs

Room Tip: Do not get room 240
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Chose the hotel based on its proximity to the rail station across the street. We arrived in Aberdeen after a red eye from Chicago without luggage that got lost in Dublin. Had enough in the back pack to last for two days, so clear there. Could not get a room until 2 p.m., which I understand, but at the time was kind of disconcerting. When we got in, the rooms had potential, but that hadn't been actualized--nice bath though. Staff was helpful in accepting bags when they showed the next day as we were checking out. The place served a purpose.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get in early to your room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in in the UK.My room was dirty, shabby, the walls were peeling the carpet had a multitude of different stains.
My bedding was ripped and the were hairs in the bed. My pillows were disgustingly stained with sweat.
I took a person claiming to be part of the managing team to the room and showed him my concerns. If I'm honest he didn't appear to bothered.
The bathroom however was very good despite there being no hot water!!!
I had breakfast at the hotel, it was revolting looking , it looked like it had been sitting for hours.
My advice to anyone is to steer clear of this overpriced dirty hole

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Steve B

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stay here quite frequently due to work. The location is ideal with it being within walking distance from the train station, bus station and harbour. It's also a 5 minutes walk away from the main streets where shops and bars/restaurants can be found.
The reception area is good, bright and spacious as well as the dining area and bar area. Once your past them and on your way to the room it's like going into a time warp back to the 60s. The decor is terrible throughout the accommodation. The rooms vary in size, some being a great big room to others being very small. Some of the bathrooms have baths but the majority I only have showers.
The rooms are kept very clean and new towels put on daily.
If your looking for a room with a view this is not the hotel for you! The windows are revolting, covered in bird excrement and most look onto a car park or shopping centre.
Price wise I haven't paid for a night stay myself (my company do this) so cannot say if it's good value for money. The restaurant doesn't have a big variety of food on its menu and for a main mean your looking at around £12. The drinks are relatively expensive too.
The staff are very friendly and do there best to help you anyway they can.
Overall I'd say the hotel is ideal if your just looking for somewhere to put your head down for the night but not really ideal for long haul stays.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Amanda L
aberdeen
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were staying in Aberdeen for a night out and were attracted by the £52 a night rate. We therefore were not expecting luxury...but the hotel is seriously run down and in need of refurbishment. The first room we were given had a broken toilet seat and was really grim. The next room had curtains half hanging off the rail and windows so filthy you couldn't see out. The room was stiflingly hot and the windows didn't open. We later got a fan but it was still really stuffy. When I commented on our way out the receptionist said she would sort something out in the morning but when we checked out ,the full amount had been deducted from my account and the staff just thanked us and were surprised when I said we had not been happy. I would advise paying a bit more to get an acceptable quality.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank annieroar
Northern Norway, Norway
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very nice rooms. The bar is a bit "strict". The reception people are nice. Not much noice and the beds are good.
The bathrooms could be a bit bigger, but they are adequate for my use.
Enjoyable, historical place.
Well worth a stay. Not too costly.

Room Tip: Some noice from Air Conditioning system. Otherwise: Charming. Good prices.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Centrally located.
Partially internally modernised old railway hotel. Characterful plumbing! Hot/cold water/no water at random adds to the interest but not the comfort.
Hot in the attics, no a/c ( that's ok) but windows didn't open.
No lift for 24 hours was challenging on 5th floor.
Room phone not working, so when all light in bathroom went off a problem to report ( 4 flights of stairs).
Possibly acceptable at a bargain price, but the price was higher than some much better hotels I have stayed in in Aberdeen.
Won't repeat the experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family