Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
£109
AlexJ262
Urafirth, United Kingdom

Good Location, Service Needs Improvement

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 Apr 2024via mobile
Stayed for a night last month. The hotel was ideally located for my needs and very close to the train station & Union Square.

There was a long queue to check in and the welcome wasn't exactly warm.

My room was on the top floor- the lift only goes to floor 3 then there's stairs, so worth noting if you have mobility issues- and was very spacious. There was plenty of storage, tea/ coffee etc and decent provision of toiletries.

On the downside, it was extremely cold and the heated couldn't be turned up. The curtains were absolutely filthy as were the windows and the bed wasn't very comfortable.

Breakfast was a highlight in terms of the food, but again the staff let it down. The lady checking off room numbers was down right horrible.

All in all, it's one of Aberdeen's few cheap hotels and is in a good location so it served its purpose but I wouldn't rush to return.
Trip type: Travelled on business
    £28
  • Algotels
3.9 miles from Station Hotel Aberdeen
View more hotels in Aberdeen
All reviews high tea chicken maryland main meal railway station main course union square shopping centre superior room tea coffee cinema
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 March 2024

Although there's an air of seen-better-days about this enormous hotel, I actually liked it a lot. For a start, it's right opposite Aberdeen railway station with its adjacent shopping centre, so it's very convenient. Although you can't check in until 3pm, you CAN leave your luggage in a room opposite reception (unsecured, but there's always someone on reception).

I booked 2 nights in a Superior Room which was on the 3rd floor in the corner of the building overlooking the station, with 3 huge sash windows with quality blackout curtains plus a massive TV. The room was enormous with a huge bed, beautifully presented and the bathroom had been recently and very tastefully refurbished. I wasn't bothered by road or rail noise as I was three floors up and the windows were double-glazed.

There was even a small fridge, although this didn't actually switch on until I put the card key in the slot to activate the lights, etc.

Unfortunately the bedside lights weren't working, so amazingly and impressively, the lady on reception offered me another room of the same quality as no-one was around to fix the lights. In the end I rejected the other room because, although it was luxurious, there was no internet connection. So I borrowed the desk lamp from that room to act as a bedside light in the original room. Reception were fine about this.

At all times, I found the people on reception to be very helpful - going 'over and beyond' to ensure I had a great experience.

I can't judge the breakfast as I'd booked room-only.

I loved the hotel's (in places e.g. the grand staircase) faded opulence and had a great two nights there. I'd definitely return, but I'd ask for a Superior Room at the front of the hotel as the other room didn't have a great view and, as I said, no internet signal.

Room tip: Book a Superior Room at the front of the hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2024

We had arranged to meet a member of the cast of the show playing at the Tivoli. We & he were residents but could not be served as the bar closed at 10.
Room fine and got a space in car park. But no extras such as tissues shampoo . Soap from dispenser. Good breakfast,

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2024

Very good value for money, especially at breakfast. Room was excellent. We had a very good rest and with twin beds we managed to have the space between us to eliminate the snoring of our partners. The bath was very welcome and filled up very quickly.

Room tip: Not enough staff, you need to to patient
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2024

Came down for 1 night as I was in Aberdeen for an appointment. The room is lovely and clean. Thank you Madalina, and Kathryn at reception answered all my questions. The young lady at reception this morning too was a huge help and letting me use left luggage as well. Sorry I didn't catch your name. Curly long hair and glasses. Anyway. Thanks folks. Really appreciate it.

Room tip: Check in is at 3 but there's a left luggage room. Very handy not having to take your suitcase around with you. Just ask at reception.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2024

Me and my wife came to this hotel not expecting too much as we have stayed in hotels which have let us down, but not here. We went into our room and loved the suite we where given, there is a few minor improvements that can be made like a little bit of paintwork and maybe replacing the carpet, however a deep carpet clean may work, however this didn't detract us from enjoying the luxury of the phenomenally large bath and separate shower in the lovely bathroom. The pillows where slightly harder than we would have liked but that is our own preference and nothing on the hotel. About 40 inch Samsung smart TV in the room not a little portable TV which was good. Bed was extremely comfy and we did have a superb sleep. For the room we would give it a 4.5 out of 5.

I would recommend buying the room with the breakfast and meal option as the meal can be very pricey. Food this weekend has been very good so please pass our compliments to your chefs - haggis sausage roll was amazing, I had that 2 nights in a row as it was very tasty. First night I had the chicken kebab - wow very tasty and my wife had the steak pie - although she enjoyed it, she thought it was overpriced for a pie that wasn't homemade as it looked like a pie you would get from a Marston's to be honest, however still tasty. Everybody needs to try the sticky toffee pudding - again I had this 2 nights in a row. Yum yum. On our 2nd night I had the burger which was tasty enough no complaints and my wife had the soup of the day which was lentil and the sea bream - she absolutely loved both dishes. The only thing that wasn't nice was the lemon curd pie. It was warm and lemon is sharp with a cold raspberry sorbet/ice-cream which was so sharp it didn't make sense on the plate and wasn't nice, maybe re-think the dish as a cold curd pie with a vanilla ice cream to cut the sharpness of the lemon. Breakfast was phenomenal. Great selection from cereals, pastries, cheese board, fruit and hot breakfast. Something for everyone. Service lets the Food down as it wasn't busy in the restaurant the two nights we had meals and the staff made us wait around 15-20 mins before asking if we would like a drink and place our order. But once we placed our order service staff where lovely, caring and attentive. Food for me was 4.5/5, service is 3/5

Date of stay: February 2024