“britannia hotel aberdeen”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #63 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just returned from a four day stay as part of a coach holiday with just go.First impression of room was good,two large beds with nice white bedding.On the second day I found a pair of socks behind the radiator covered in dust obviously been there for months.There was a spillage of some sort on the stairs between the dining room and second floor on our first night which was still there when we left! Thick dust was on the ledges round the stairs in dining room,dining chairs were stained and some seat covers were ripped.The second evening the salt and pepper pots disappeared of the tables and a waiter came round with sachets when we had finished our meal!Tables were sticky and there were thick crumbs down back of seats and under tables.The staff in the dining room were very disorganised and at one point non existent.Our final breakfast was awful,dried up sausage and black pudding that coudn't be cut,croissants were stone cold as if they had just been taken out of the freezer.

Room Tip: Ask if any have been refurbished!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
NeilTurner, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Dear nosregor, I am glad you found our rooms to be good large ones and apologise for the other inconsistencies during your stay. I have forwarded on your comments to our management team to ensure these items are sorted.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Just come back from 4 day break in the Britannia Hotel in Aberdeen. After reading reviews I was very wary of our stay, however, was pleasently surprised. We had a really nice twin bedded room, everything was there for us, tea and coffee, toiletries etc. Our meals were really good, breakfast could not be faulted. In fact very nice break for us. The only thing that was bad with the meals was the tea and coffee facilities after your meal, they were foul. We just went up to the room and made our own. One thing that did disappoint though was the wine, we bought a bottle of house red wine. This cost £12, 00, and was British. It was awful. Next day we went to try a different bottle but that is all the hotel had, Not good that you cannot purchase a decent bottle of red wine in a big hotel. Apart from that no conplaints.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
NeilTurner, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Dear scampy15, thank you for your review ad I am glad you had a good stay and enjoyed the food. I will speak to the restaurant staff about the coffee and also the fact that there is more than one type of wine and to offer them, with the wine menu. Our house wine does change and the last batch we got was a British wine which is not to everyones taste.

Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

I'm a single female business traveller and this has to be the WORST experience ever!
Rude reception staff
Drunk Leary men
Mice in the corridors
Feels & looks dirty
£10 for an Iron & board!!! Not in your room
So called Gym is a joke! 4 machines in a room the size of a box room, pool is disgusting, dirty & smells damp!
I didn't even stay a full hour I would rather have slept in my car!!!!!
I wouldn't take my dog here this place is that bad!

• Stayed: July 2012
NeilTurner, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear JennBroki, I apologise if the reception staff were rude We do have a number of men staying here and they do sometimes get drunk, as many people in the world do. We have no mice in corridors and the hotel is checked perodically for pests as well. The Gym actually has 11 machines as well as free weights. It is 18 feet x 20 feet with floor to ceiling, wall to wall windows on 2 sides looking out onto the gardens and stream so I am puzzled as to how you say it is a box room, as with some of your other comments.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I stayed at the Britannia Hotel during June and the company I work for picked up the bill which was well in excess of £100. I stayed for one night prior to travelling offshore the following morning.

I don't know what it is about Aberdeen hotel staff but they nearly all seem to be uniformly grumpy and miserable. It may be the fact they live in Aberdeen which is a grim and unforgiving place or maybe the Scottish psyche. Regardless a smile would be welcome on an annual basis at least. The same can be said for the standard of hotel accommodation in Aberdeen. Because most customers are put in Aberdeen hotels by oil companies the hotels seem to feel that minimal effort is required for the highest possible return. Rather belatedly a number of new hotels have opened up in Aberdeen over the past couple of years that offer great service and excellent accommodation at a reasonable price. With any luck these will prevail over the coming months and years. Tellingly, it is also noted that the staff in these hotels tend not to be Aberdonian.

I was checked in on a rainy Wednesday afternoon by an unsmiling receptionist. Nothing else to report. I was going to ask about meal times and a menu but her demeanour was such that it was clear any conversation would be unwelcome. I was handed my electronic room key and given directions to my room. The hotel has a number of long mazy corridors over 3 floors and I eventually found my room. My room was quite large and en-suite with coffee/tea making facilities. I always check the inside of kettles in hotel rooms and this one had a rather worrying black tide mark about halfway up the inside meaning a cup of coffee was out of the question during my stay. The bathroom was also quite large but clearly dated. Mould was apparent on the tiles in the shower area and a dirty bathmat was provided to stand on in the bath. I actually couldn't bring myself to touch the bathmat and instead encased my hand in a towel to position it.

I couldn't find a menu in the room and not wanting to ask at reception I decided to walk to a nearby supermarket where I bought some snacks to sustain me during my stay.

The bed was comfortable but kept creeping away from the wall as I lay on it. The TV was positioned on the wall from a bracket much as one would expect in Pentonville prison.

All in all the hotel was just about passable but for the price a rip-off which is none of my concern as I wasn't paying. If you are paying yourself shop around and try one of the newer hotels which are of infinitely better value.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear PeterWWW, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and also have quite a negative view of Aberdeen as well.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Considering this costs on average almost £100 per night, the hotel is very tired, in dire need of a makeover. The bath is covered in stains which cannot be removed by conventional cleaning products obviously. All the bathroom fittings were loose and moved when you turned them, such as taps etc. The tiling was disgusting, i tried not to touch the sides when i was showering. The room was cleaned daily but its the 'oldness' of the room thats annoying for the price. The window didnt open, the view was of nasty waste ground. I never ate at the hotel as i had been forewarned so I eat out and cant comment on the food. The bar attached to the hotel was dirty, over priced and needed updating as, like the rooms, was very tired and over used. The lobby looks okay as you enter but the moment you step into a corridor you'll noticed ripped and worn carpets held together by duct tape. Not a good sign. If you can afford almost £100 a night, try looking for somewhere else, there are some excellent hotels in Aberdeen, but this isnt one of them.

Room Tip: Eat at the Bucksburn Manor carvery, 5 mins walk away, ask the staff for directions. Excellent value...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear HargsWestCoast, the hotel is old and would benefit from a refurbishment but as we are so busy it is hard to get this work done.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

If I can advise one thing, don't stay here.

It's over priced, dirty, run down and the food is dreadful.

I ended up here as everywhere else in Aberdeen was booked up. I can only imagine its the only way they get business and due to the oil industry, why they can charge the price they charge. I paid 130 for a room and was disappointed with what I got. It was on the top floor at the back of the hotel. It was dirty, and there was a bag of rubbish and a half eaten box of chocolates above where I would hang my clothes. I guess the cleaners have kindly put it there to pick up later, or just shoved to the back.

Bottom line is, don't stay here.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mr G

Dear Mr G, I am sorry that you felt the room was overpriced but Aberdeen is an expensive city and priced as such. I have passed your cleaning comments onto our Housekeeper to investigate.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Huge room and clean just dated and badly needs a facelift. Food was really good and restaurant staff really friendly and helpful but they carry the place the rest of the staff need to go on a customer service course never met such a rude receptionist when we said our kids were cold were told the heating doesn't come on till 9 o'clock and not before even though the next night there no heating on at all. Everytime we asked something she was rude. Car park a good size and we got a very good deal for 2 rooms and dinner,bed and breakfast. Pool was good just changing rooms were awful and to change the kids in the rooms, no space to change and no use if you are shy. Staff there can't even lift her head from the computer to say hello even or smile.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Jane3750, Thank you for your comments and I am glad to hear you had a good stay overall. The heating is generally off this time of year unless the weather changes or guests comment, as if it is switched on it is on in the whole hotel. The pool changing rooms are not the biggest or best, especially with kids.