“Very welcomed enjoyed it very much we will be back”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #64 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

My partner booked us a room in the cottage which we just had the room booked and had shared facilities the bathroom and kitchen which we didn't mind. We arrived around 4 pm and we asked for a upgrade and was given one without paying extra for the staff where very friendly and welcoming. We had a non smoking room and was 501. Me and my partner don't smoke so that's why we choosed this room. We was very surprised that the hotel offered smoking rooms as we are from Manchester and Theres a no smoking policy in all hotels. Good for smokers tho. We could smell smoke a little walking through to our room but only a little and once we went to our section of the hotel where all the non smoking rooms are we couldnt smell it at all and our room was spotlessly clean no problems with how clean it was nice double Ned and single bed flat screen tv nice size bathroom it had quite abit if storage for your clothes and some where to put your drinks. It even had 2 chairs. They did have a few stains on them but we didn't use them as we didn't need to. The bed was very comfy and the while room smelt fresh. It was nice an warm to as it was quite cold outside. There was shower gel lotion etc in the bathroom which was nice to have. We both had a very comfortable sleep and the room was nice an warm throughout the night. We decided to have breakfast so was told where to go from the reception desk and we was asked our names when we got there and our names wasn't there as we had booked the cottage but the lovely lady Said it's ok just go in she was very friendly with our little girl to. It was quite when we went in and there was plenty out to choose from. They had a full English breakfast with toast and a choice of cereal, tea, coffee, fresh fruit. We both enjoyed the full English and our little girl enjoyed her cereal san toast. We came away feeling very satisfied and even better we got it complementary which was even better. We both said we will be back again probably in the Summer as the weather wasn't nice and we would of enjoyed it even more had it been abit sunnier. The price of just the room we paid for was allittle over prised it was £119 but can't really say much about the cottage as we didn't stay there. But the price was reasonable for the room we was upgraded to and the complimentary breakfast was worth it for 2 adults and a baby. We had a very good overall stay abs would say we was abit worried after reading the reviews on here. I guess everyone will have different experiences in so e cases it doused like they didn't have a pleasent stay. But I would advise new people staying there that it was a nice place to stay and don't be out off of the bad reviews which I am surprised there is so many. The hotel is under refurbishment and you could see signs of it being an old hotel but they are in the process of making it better. The decoration in the rooms was average I liked it but my partner said it was abit outdated. There was a mark on the wall and the stains in the 2 chairs and abit of the plastic bit in the bath handle had broken off which could be replaced but I would t mark it down for those 3 little things because our whole experience from arriving to leaving we couldn't fault. Also the room we stayed in should of been over £200 for 1 night which I do think is over priced and would be reluctant to pay that. But We will be back and hopefully come to a deal with the price. Thsbks again for a lovely stay over. It was out first time in the area so was very impressed

• Stayed: January 2014
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear shaunnagreen, thank you for your comments and I am glad you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the hotel and the food. We do have a section of smoking rooms in the hotel, you are allowed to have smoking rooms but most companies choose not to have any. Most of the negative comments we receive are due to the price paid on certain days due to basic supply and demand.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed in room 129, read the reviews before going and was dreading it, but I couldnt find anything in Aberdeen so stayed with it. Upon arrival the car park in clearly posted about the parking restrictions, how anyone can miss the signs astounds me, i was dealt with promptly and efficiently at reception, and given the relevant information although a smile or a more positive greeting would have been nice.

I was directed to my room which yes as well as the rest of the hotel is dated, but it was clean, fully equipped the WIFI was free and a good connection.

I used the restaurant for an evening meal, I must say the fixed menu was not extensive - being a fixed price you wouldnt expect it to be, but the food was excellent and I heard a number of people compliment the chef. It was VERY reasonably priced food in fact I would say cheap, especially for Aberdeen. The young waiting staff were polite, smiled and courteous. One young man that served did have red dyed hair and piercing and being a little old fashioned I am not sure what impression this gives of the impression they are willing to give as a "professional organisation", but I must commend his service.

I had a ver reasonable nights sleep, a comfortable bed, a good bath and shower - again the bathroom showed signs of age, but it was clean and well stocked.

I departed early was dealt with promptly on departure, the guy at reception dealt with me efficient although, I preempted him stapling the receipts and his answer was "im just going to doi it" which could be perceived as a little rude. But he did wish me a good day and say good bye.

I would stay again although, when visiting Aberdeen again I will also look at alternative options. I would say it was average.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear MrShezStokeonTrent, thank you for your comments and I am glad you had a good stay and found the dinner excellent and also good value. Your comment on the car parking signage is correct but believe me we get a number of people saying they did not see it.

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is showing its age. Very dated and in need of a refurb and some money spending. The hotel isnt dirty just well worn and past its best before date. I had to change rooms due to the lights blowing the alernative room was in the same condition as the original. I wont be returning.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Nick W, thank you for your comment that the hotel is aged and not dirty. You are correct in the fact that the hotel would benefit from a refurbishment in the bedrooms and bathrooms, work has began on building new rooms and public areas. Hopefully once this is completed you will return.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Aberdeen is busy and expensive mid week, this is a fact. However £200 for a night in a room with stained walls, cracked sanitary ware and MOULD on the bathroom ceiling is taking things way to far. Next time if this is the the last hotel in Aberdeen I will politely refuse a room and instead plan a day trip involving a 4am start and an 11pm return home. It will be preferable. I am keen to see if the Britannia group management respond to this review with anything other than the standard "The hotel is under refurbishment". Mould I would argue is not a refurbishment issue, it is neglect.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank G G
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear G G, I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. You are correct if there was mould on the bathroom ceiling there is no excuse for that and I can only apologise if that was the case.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Came here with my girlfriend and her family, probably the most awkward night of my life. Staff are unhelpful and unfriendly, rooms are a complete joke, and general service is ridiculous. Would need to pay us to stay here again, it's like the management have never encountered customer service before. Food was most certainly frozen and most probably from Farmfoods. Spent the majority of the evening feeling sorry for the staff, as was definitely not their fault, and management should definitely take the blame for the shoddy state of this place.

• Stayed: January 2014
GMAberdeen, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear ASRobertson91, I am sorry that you appear to not have enjoyed your stay but it would be more helpful if you had reported any issues when you were here so we could have attended to them if there were any.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We arrived on the 30th Dec for 3 nights.
Two adults and two children.
Receptionist very helpful, our family room a good size and clean tidy and modern .
The maids were spot on too .
Welcome drink on arrival to restaurant .
The restaurant manager was spot on David his name , he and his staff so to our needs with swift attention . Food was excellent and nice and hot .
There was entertainment every night different musicians , on Hogmanay there was bag pipes.
New Year's Day there was bingo and a comedian and a magician it was all one person the Manager Neil , he was fantastic too and very funny !
Absolutely no faults definetly recommend ! Value for money , service , etc ....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Derek143, thank you for your kind comments and I am glad you and your family had a great New Year with us, we certainly enjoyed your company. We hope to see you back again in the near future.