“Praise for 'young' waiting staff in restaurant”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #63 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel 10-13 April 2014 as part of a (Caledonian) coach tour which cost around £100 for 3 nights bed, breakfast and evening meal so cannot complain about 'value for money'.

I agree with many comments about the standard of accommodation, décor, noisy central heating system, standard of (some) food, etc. I don't wish to repeat some earlier comments - suffice to say here appears to be lots of scope for improvement. The owners of the hotel chain might want to appraise how best they can help raise standards all round. My room was clean and served the purpose for sleeping in (apart from sometimes noisy central heating through the night - even when the thermostat was turned off).

The Manager says renovations are underway but I agree with other reviewer comments suggesting that (overall) the management and service delivery could be much better.

Finally, on a positive note: In relation to the restaurant service and waiting staff, I found the young lady and gentleman (Grahame - referred to by earlier reviewers as the guy with the red hair and piercings) to be extremely helpful, attentive and professional. Praise is extended to the young waiting staff who appeared to be doing their best in what looked like an often challenging environment. Note: they may be training but will learn my example.

Room Tip: Seems like a hit and miss - some rooms appear better than others. Tip: if you have a problem let th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mac20142014
Karen H, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for your review. It is only through feedback we can strive to improve. I will pass your comments on to Graham.

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We only booked this one because the groupon offer was so cheap (included a discount voucher as well). We were staying one night so how bad could it be? First things first, the hotel was opened in 1974 and from the outside it looks like it. Design and layouit internally reflects when it was built. The chap on reception was not from the north east of Scotland so his accent was difficult but not impossible. I can understand why some people may have found him unhelpful but we got there with some careful listening. At reception there are plenty of signs pointing you to the car registration sign in computer so that was no problem. We have used these in different hotels of different standards throuout the UK. Our room (205) was large for a budget hotel but small for an expensive one. On par with Holiday inn express. Room was clean, i even did the finger round the skirtingboard test, which it passed. Bed was comfortable and the water was hot. bathroom was clean but dated, caulking around the bath needs repairing. TV weas not installed yesterday but was a flat screen so is reasonabley new. Tea and coffee making facilities OK. Only complaint was ther lack of electrical sockets - just the one for the TV and kettle so charging the laptop/ phone was a pain. Our package included full access to the Spa on site. A smallish pool that had a slight current so i could imagine it was one of those infinity pools. Also used the steam room and sauna and looked at the gym through the window. The steam room was like something from The Sweeney but was effective. We had a set meal in the evening, there was a prty of pensioners in so the dinning room was closed to the rest of the guests until 7:15, we were not told this when we checked in but there was a sign outside the dinning room. No problem. Service was OK, a couple of youngsters with a few rough edges. Yes the chap is heavily tatooed and pierced but, as our daughter also has peircings we know how clean she has to keep them to avoid infection. Unsightly to us oldsters but no mar on the service. The dinning room itself was clean and tidy, a little dated but not a disaster. Disappointed in the starter, pate that was at room temperature, the edges a slightly different colour which indicates the plate was lying around for some time. Wilted salad and tasteless coleslau. this suggests poor kitchen managment and we were concerned about what would arrive for the main. Suprisweed that it was OK. Chicken cooked just right, not been lying around as it was moist and had not dried out. Boiled potatoes in theior skins, just soft enough and no indication of being microwaved. Veggies good and bad, mange touts still had a bite to them, broccoli just right but the cauliflower hard as a rock. Desert was a standard ice cream or cheese cake, the ice cream OK but the cheesecake again at room temperature. Breakfast the next morning was the full scottish. Service efficient and with a smile. Hash browns and blackpudding overcooked but good bacon and sausages.
Would I go back? Not at the full price but as an alternative to Holiday Inn/ Travel Lodge/ Premier Inn and at their prices? Yes.

Room Tip: 205 was OK
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chickenkievukabuja
Karen H, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this report. I have only just taken over the hotel and this helps reinforce that the small changes are beginning to work.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The smell of stale alcohol greeted us at reception which gave an indication of standards. Were allocated room 28 which was a nightmare. Its next to a generator or central heating unit next door which is constantly noisy and kept us all awake most of the night. The room was not clean - massive cobwebs inside window and chocolate sweet not swept from floor. Breakfast - the food was OK and self service but there were only cold plates for hot food, cold coffee from thermos flasks and stewed tea from similar flask. The seats in the dining room appeared filthy and should have been thrown out years ago. The whole place is in need of a serious refurbishment. A hotel to be avoided.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 28 at all costs
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Firstly I must apoligise for you disappointing stay but I am sorry but we do not have a room 28 so i am unable to identify the room you stayed in?

I wish you had brought this to our attention at the time and we would have endevoured to make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This has got to be one of the worst hotels that I have stayed in, to come and find the reception clerk asleep is atrocious. This is a bad perception and review of how a hotel should be. As for one member of staff in the restaurant with red hair and piercings on his face has a bad manner towards guests and if this is the kind of staff you have working there I will be telling everyone to avoid this hotel. I hope these members of staff are dealt with appropriately and in a correct manner I will be taken this further.

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Louise my Night Porter came to me the next morning with your comments and appropriate action has been taken.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few months ago and had a very bad experience. Arrived at hotel and had a lovely young girl check us in really friendly and helpful, went to bar and girl with crazy hair was very rude and went to reception to complain and again the young girl was so apologetic, decided to go to restaurant which was a very bad move, asked to move tables as table we was at was covered in food and got told no, by a guy piercings all over his face, had out Meal which wasn't very nice, when going back to our room the receptionist that checked us in greeted us while going back to our room, told her we wouldn't come back to this place again... Again she was very apologetic and couldn't have been nicer.. Went on our holiday and went back to stay here and stayed a few times and that same lovely receptionist always seems to be on and me and my wife both agree if it wasn't for her we wouldn't of used this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your comments Should you wish to discuss this in further detail please email me. My email address is karen.day@britanniahotels.com and I would be grateful if you could please drop me a line with your room name and date of stay and I will investigate further for you.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This place really is the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. I didn't think any hotel could be as bad as this.

My taxi driver warned me it was horrific and I thought he was joking, I arrived about 10am and planned on getting the 12noon train home, It was so bad I got up at 4.30am and got the first train out oh Aberdeen.

The staff had my details on arrival but lost them overnight and couldn't give me a receipt for my expenses.

The room was absolutely discussing, The carpet, furniture and beds where covered in staines. There was a used condom on the bathroom floor. The sockets where damaged and looked very dangerous so I didn't charge my phone,

the public areas are very tired with holes in walls and righting on walls etc.

The staff look like they are used to the constant criticism and lack any motivation.

The worst part was it cost £100. Do yourself a favour and find a squat to stay in, It'll be cleaner, smell less and be less dangerous.

I'm shocked this place is still open!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank djrs1984

I am sorry you feel like this. We are currently under major renovation. However should you wish to discuss this in further detail please email me. My email address is karen.day@britanniahotels.com and I would be grateful if you could please drop me a line with your room name and date of stay and I will investigate further for you.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed in this place twice mid week and it is absolutely disgusting, old, shabby and stinks of cigerattes. The room cost £200 per night witout breakfast but I didn't mind that as I have come to expect that in Aberdeen mid week. The second time I stayed I was esorted by the porter across the road through a car park and into the "cottage" room which I can only discribe as shed. The door from my room opened directly onto the car park and the room was freezing, the only reason I stayed was that it was late at night when I was checking in and I had been travelling all day.

****DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL****

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Paddy K

I am sorry you feel this way. Should you wish to discuss this in further detail please email me. My email address is karen.day@britanniahotels.com and I would be grateful if you could please drop me a line with your room name and date of stay and I will investigate further for you.