“Deep clean and update needed!”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #63 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
“Deep clean and update needed!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately this hotel was booked by the company I work for.
The feeling of dread begins when you pull into the car park of the Britannia Hotel outside is in need of some serious TLC.
My room was 224 which was unclean. The bathroom basin had pubic hair in it and the bathroom furniture is old and worn.
The bed had pubic hair in and smelt unclean when you pulled the sheets back.
The room had big cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling and one wall had stained wall paper similar to a leak this is on top of all the scraps and marks all over the walls. Ceiling also had big cracks in it.
The entire hotel needs updating and bringing to a standard people expect. The manager of this hotel has no excuse for the unsanitary state of the room I checked into but no doubt I will get a reply to this post stating her email address and asking me to email her as she has every other bad review on this site anyone can copy and paste!
I checked out at 6pm and went else where.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Onelife33
Karen H, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for your comments and as I explained in my email, I only ask customers to send me an email when I do not have there details and I need to investigate the complaint.

Unfortunately it was concluded that we had made a terrible mistake with your room and as you checked in at 12 noon before our allocated checkin time - the room had not been fully serviced. This was our mistake and as we explained at thye time, when we did not charge you anything for your stay and I have since apoligised in my email.

This was unexceptable and I apoligise once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Port harcourt
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Over that past years I have stayed at this hotel over 70 nights on and off. It's always been the worst hotel ever it's never changed in the past 10 years which I have been going. The only reason it been able to be so bad is due to the fact that oil company's, like the one I work for book us into it. We don't want it! And thats only due to the fact they can't find anywhere else. Well now they can with all the big chains building hotels next to the airport the only way that this hotel will get anyone in is by improving, and by god they need to. If they say they have a new manager it's good luck to you cos you will need it to. Due to the unavailability of rooms in aberdeen This hotel has taken good money off people and given naf all back to is customers for long enough. I wish it good luck in its much overdue massive change In service. I for one praise competition cos now you have it.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Geoffrey P
Thank you for your comments. We do have plans to change the hotel and hopefully next time you stay you will see a difference.

We are introducing a new menu and all staff are currently under going retraining. New uniforms have been ordered and rennovations have began. We now including leisure in all stay and hopfully this will lead to more satisfied customers.

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. We were worried about staying here after all the bad reviews but was fine. Close to airport, a little out of town but good transport links. Room was nice, breakie was good. Room just needed a little TLC but no complaints from me.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and Breakfast. We are currently renovating so the rooms will we upgraded in turn. Thanks
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel 10-13 April 2014 as part of a (Caledonian) coach tour which cost around £100 for 3 nights bed, breakfast and evening meal so cannot complain about 'value for money'.

I agree with many comments about the standard of accommodation, décor, noisy central heating system, standard of (some) food, etc. I don't wish to repeat some earlier comments - suffice to say here appears to be lots of scope for improvement. The owners of the hotel chain might want to appraise how best they can help raise standards all round. My room was clean and served the purpose for sleeping in (apart from sometimes noisy central heating through the night - even when the thermostat was turned off).

The Manager says renovations are underway but I agree with other reviewer comments suggesting that (overall) the management and service delivery could be much better.

Finally, on a positive note: In relation to the restaurant service and waiting staff, I found the young lady and gentleman (Grahame - referred to by earlier reviewers as the guy with the red hair and piercings) to be extremely helpful, attentive and professional. Praise is extended to the young waiting staff who appeared to be doing their best in what looked like an often challenging environment. Note: they may be training but will learn my example.

Room Tip: Seems like a hit and miss - some rooms appear better than others. Tip: if you have a problem let th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mac20142014
Thank you for your review. It is only through feedback we can strive to improve. I will pass your comments on to Graham.
Bridge of Weir, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We only booked this one because the groupon offer was so cheap (included a discount voucher as well). We were staying one night so how bad could it be? First things first, the hotel was opened in 1974 and from the outside it looks like it. Design and layouit internally reflects when it was built. The chap on reception was not from the north east of Scotland so his accent was difficult but not impossible. I can understand why some people may have found him unhelpful but we got there with some careful listening. At reception there are plenty of signs pointing you to the car registration sign in computer so that was no problem. We have used these in different hotels of different standards throuout the UK. Our room (205) was large for a budget hotel but small for an expensive one. On par with Holiday inn express. Room was clean, i even did the finger round the skirtingboard test, which it passed. Bed was comfortable and the water was hot. bathroom was clean but dated, caulking around the bath needs repairing. TV weas not installed yesterday but was a flat screen so is reasonabley new. Tea and coffee making facilities OK. Only complaint was ther lack of electrical sockets - just the one for the TV and kettle so charging the laptop/ phone was a pain. Our package included full access to the Spa on site. A smallish pool that had a slight current so i could imagine it was one of those infinity pools. Also used the steam room and sauna and looked at the gym through the window. The steam room was like something from The Sweeney but was effective. We had a set meal in the evening, there was a prty of pensioners in so the dinning room was closed to the rest of the guests until 7:15, we were not told this when we checked in but there was a sign outside the dinning room. No problem. Service was OK, a couple of youngsters with a few rough edges. Yes the chap is heavily tatooed and pierced but, as our daughter also has peircings we know how clean she has to keep them to avoid infection. Unsightly to us oldsters but no mar on the service. The dinning room itself was clean and tidy, a little dated but not a disaster. Disappointed in the starter, pate that was at room temperature, the edges a slightly different colour which indicates the plate was lying around for some time. Wilted salad and tasteless coleslau. this suggests poor kitchen managment and we were concerned about what would arrive for the main. Suprisweed that it was OK. Chicken cooked just right, not been lying around as it was moist and had not dried out. Boiled potatoes in theior skins, just soft enough and no indication of being microwaved. Veggies good and bad, mange touts still had a bite to them, broccoli just right but the cauliflower hard as a rock. Desert was a standard ice cream or cheese cake, the ice cream OK but the cheesecake again at room temperature. Breakfast the next morning was the full scottish. Service efficient and with a smile. Hash browns and blackpudding overcooked but good bacon and sausages.
Would I go back? Not at the full price but as an alternative to Holiday Inn/ Travel Lodge/ Premier Inn and at their prices? Yes.

Room Tip: 205 was OK
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chickenkievukabuja
Karen H, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this report. I have only just taken over the hotel and this helps reinforce that the small changes are beginning to work.

We hope to welcome you back soon
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The smell of stale alcohol greeted us at reception which gave an indication of standards. Were allocated room 28 which was a nightmare. Its next to a generator or central heating unit next door which is constantly noisy and kept us all awake most of the night. The room was not clean - massive cobwebs inside window and chocolate sweet not swept from floor. Breakfast - the food was OK and self service but there were only cold plates for hot food, cold coffee from thermos flasks and stewed tea from similar flask. The seats in the dining room appeared filthy and should have been thrown out years ago. The whole place is in need of a serious refurbishment. A hotel to be avoided.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 28 at all costs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Firstly I must apoligise for you disappointing stay but I am sorry but we do not have a room 28 so i am unable to identify the room you stayed in?

I wish you had brought this to our attention at the time and we would have endevoured to make your stay more enjoyable.

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This has got to be one of the worst hotels that I have stayed in, to come and find the reception clerk asleep is atrocious. This is a bad perception and review of how a hotel should be. As for one member of staff in the restaurant with red hair and piercings on his face has a bad manner towards guests and if this is the kind of staff you have working there I will be telling everyone to avoid this hotel. I hope these members of staff are dealt with appropriately and in a correct manner I will be taken this further.

Stayed March 2014
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Louise my Night Porter came to me the next morning with your comments and appropriate action has been taken.

Should you wish to discuss this in further detail please email me. My email address is karen.day@britanniahotels.com and I would be grateful if you could please drop me a line with your room name and date of stay and I will investigate further for you.