“Needs refurbishment!!!!”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #64 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I travel up to Aberdeen from Glasgow to be with my partner when it's inconvenient for him to come home. I booked this hotel for one night on impulse because I wanted to surprise him on my arrival. I didn't read the reviews until after my stay (which I wouldn't have chosen otherwise!) The picture of tartan bedding gave me a good enough impression of this hotel. However, it was only on arrival that I might have made a mistake - I thought the reception was a bit chaotic I was waiting about 10 minutes before I got attended to by the girl at reception - through no fault of her own was run-ragged trying to help the electrical engineer before me and the phone was ringing non-stop I felt sorry that nobody else was around to assist! I just wanted to get settled in after driving all that distance, I felt like offering her a hand and the TV was blaring in a corner which nobody appeared to be interested in. Personally, I would've like relaxing background music. Finally, I got into my room and wasn't impressed at all - the walls need a lick of paint which is long overdue and the bedding had a couple of stains on it and the bathroom wasn't particularly clean. I could hear every sound coming from all directions due to the paper-thin walls. Having said all that I did get a decent sleep with my partner! I have compared this with another 3* hotels I've stayed in that are far superior to this one.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rubysparkles59

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Really handy location, close to airport and easy access to city centre. For what we paid, the value for money was fantastic. Yes the room is dated and the TV didn't seem to work (we weren't really bothered about that as we were out each day) but it was HUGE with 2 doubles and one single bed and was spotless along with the bathroom.

We had breakfast included in the price and again, it was great. Full English, if they didn't have something in particular they were really accommodating. If I have a tip, its get breakfast a little later to avoid the "coachies"

Spoke to a few staff while we were there and all were lovely and helpful - we met the Manager at checkout who was approachable, friendly and genuinely bothered that we had enjoyed our stay.

So, I'd stay again and recommend this hotel to anybody, just don't be expecting luxury that you haven't paid for

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Britannia Hotel…what can I say that hasn’t been said already…..
This is most definitely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my entire life.
If this is hotel number 60 of 62 of all hotels in Aberdeen then God only knows what 61 and 62 must be like!!!!! Would also be interested to know who thought this place was worthy of a 3 star rating!

Arrived on 23rd April for two nights on business trip. Can’t say that first impressions filled me with any confidence but things only got worse.

After half an hour getting checked in, the first thing to greet me was a sticker on bedroom window warning me not to open the window beyond 10cm for my own personal safety and also to prevent wild birds entering. What a lovely welcome touch! The room itself was dire, in desperate need of renovation as is the entire hotel.

Went to bar and had a few Peroni’s and scampi and chips which was fine. Can’t really go wrong with that can you?
Champion’s league football was also on that night. A few of the customers asked for it to be turned over about 7.30 but apparently the Britannia have a “special sky channel” where there is no pre-game commentary and programme only starts once the game has actually kicked off. Nice foreign commentary too! I always thought that SKY had the wee pint sign at the bottom right hand side of tv for pubs and hotels, must be mistaken as surely at £200 a night they would not have the audacity to show illegal channels as they most certainly can afford to pay for real SKY.

Then the dreaded bedtime arrived…..I pulled back the sheets of my bed with baited breath in fear of what might still lurking……

I would like to add I “slept” fully clothed as did not want the sheets touching my flesh. I use the term slept very loosely as could not get any shut eye due to the noise of the many guests pissing like race horses all night which could clearly be heard through the paper thin walls, that coupled with the constant banging of the heating pipes did not aid a restful night. By about 2.30 I was swithering whether to actually go and sleep in my car!

Morning arrived and I deliberated whether it would be less of a health issue not to shower and just have BO or actually stand in the bath and have a shower. I finally opted for the latter which proved not too bad, water was at least warm, only down side was you had to be the size of one of Willie Wonka’s oompa loopmpas!

Breakfast was next. A lovely guy dressed in a boiler suit appeared to be doing some maintenance at the entrance to the breakfast area, it also appears he could multi-task and he let me in for breakfast!

There were a few tables, all with dirty plates so I opted for the area which had some tables with white tablecloths on. Breakfast was self service so I then sat down and began to eat. I was then shouted at across from the buffet area from someone in chef’s clothes that I was not permitted to sit here as it was reserved for a coach party. I answered that this was the only tables that had not dirty dishes on them, so was told that it was OK then. (poor coach party)

I decided to check out one day early as could not bare to spend another second in this flee pit. I was then informed at checkout that I had made a mistake with my booking and had booked for May not April. I showed them my booking from Late Rooms which clearly stated April. The girl then told me I would have to phone Late Rooms and sort it out! I would also be charged full rate of £200 not the discount rate of £140. To be honest by this point I had lost the will to live and would have gladly paid £200 just to escape the place.

I asked to speak to the manager at this point to complain about this and the entire charade of hotel. I was told she was not in but the deputy was. She trundled along, very professionally attired in her whitish grey polo shirt hanging out of her navy skirt. Would not have expected anything less in this classy joint. To be honest I do feel for the staff as they clearly couldn’t give a toss about their customers’ and I suppose getting constant complaints must grind you down. A colleague also pointed out that if good staff ever did work there they would leave pretty pronto and move onto better places, which would not be difficult, so most likely this was not the cream of the crop that were left.

Anyhow made it out alive, but please please please do NOT stay here!!!!! Complete rip off, prices ridiculous, sad that all the oil companies just pay no questions asked, but at least with all the new builds this place will most certainly close.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Liz M
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I booked this on a groupon deal as it included dinner bed and breakfast, pool and spa access for the wife and I, last min we needed to take the kids, not a problem just a surcharge.

Arrived at the hotel and I must admit after reading the reviews on here I was not expecting much, when I saw the hotel I honestly was cringing inside, on approach to the reception my view changed but as reported by most people the hotel is in need of a facelift, checked in no problem was advised where everything was and proceeded to the long walk to room 201, when we got there opened the door to find a spacious room, 2 doubles and a single bed, again a bit dated and marks on some of the walls but the bathroom and bedding was clean.

Got our swim stuff sorted and headed for the pool, small pool but kids couldn't wait. Pool/gym attendant wasn't very welcoming, but competent all the same. Spent 2 hours in the pool/sauna/steam room with other guests and members of the public.
Requested some more towels as there were only 2 in the room and there was no problem there arrived almost immediately, went for dinner where we were seated and taken a drinks order and then helped ourselves to the buffet which was better food served than which we had eaten in the city centre, so much so no one had a pudding!

Kids were worn out from the pool do it was an early ish night for everyone. Up bright and early and went for breakfast where again the food was a decent standard to then get back in the pool before checking out.

All in all, great for the price, you cannot expect it to be 5 stars when you are not paying 5 star prices. Decor dated but generally clean.
Staff were friendly and fulfilled our requests with a smile.
Food was a good standard.

I'm sure we will return

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank John M
Karen H, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I made the bad mistake of booking this hotel as I thought it would be decent..... Oh what a mistake this was!

The hotel itself was out the way and not much around it, this was not an issue should the hotel have been good and going out not an option! ..... The giveaway this was not going to be good was the caliber of the staff they had on reception, you can usually tell how nice (or not in this case) by the presentation of the people that are "front of house" and there to welcome you.

The hotel was dark, the carpets worn, the walls marked and dirty and this was just in the reception, stairs and halls leading to the rooms. My room was not only very dismal looking and the decor looked like it was 20 years old, the room was very dull and dark, the carpets were dirty, the wallpaper was peeling off in places, the curtains were dirty and coming away, the nets were extremely dirty - so dirty that they were actually a darker grey than white. The walls had marks all over them and not recent ones, these are dating back years by the amount of them and lack of any visible paint marks to try and cover them.

The bathroom was disgusting, dirty, mould in places along the tile grouting, the fixtures had limescale on them and there were broken tiles as well as loose fittings. This had not been maintained in some time and in fact even a monkey could have done a better job of making this look like they actually cared about how the place looked.

When myself and colleague went for our dinner we were met by a extremely rude boy, I say boy because he looked no older than 18-19 and obviously had very, very little customer service experience, unless they believe this is how you treat paying guests! ... We were somewhat berated for daring to walking past and inconspicuous sign believing it to be okay to seat ourselves! ... We returned to behind an area he gestured to us before he then pointed to a table we were already heading to! ... We sat down and waited for the menu which was hardly a menu with just three choices for starters, main and desserts, before we had a chance to look at them we were told we would have to hurry as they were stopping serving soon, this was at only 8:30pm. We sat for a minute and then both decided that it would be far easier to actually not have dinner here and we went out to find something better and unbelievably this was at a brewers fayre type place about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

To think that we had paid £100 for each room and this was supposedly on a deal, I would hate to have paid more for a room that in ll honesty would have been overcharged if it had cost £40! I know Aberdeen is a well to do city based around oil but to think that this hotel is worthy of any business is a joke. It needs to be either demolished or ripped apart and start again!

I have not been as critical as I could have, there were so many things wrong with this place and I even felt sorry for the reception staff who had nothing they could do when I complained as all the rooms were the same!

The smoke detector was hanging off the ceiling and would be lucky to be effective in the event of a fire!

It was that bad, on my next visit to Aberdeen I chose to drive back down to Dundee each night and stay at a much better hotel, clean, fresh and inviting and even without a deal it was £35 a night cheaper!

Room Tip: Pick any other hotel than this, save your money ..... Seriously, do not stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SPM70

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry you have experienced this. I really need to investigate into this further and as this has not been brought to my attention prior to this review I would be grateful if you could email me the dates you stayed, the name it was under please.

A new menu is beiing inroduced at the end of next week as I too agree the present menu is too small.

My email address is karen.day@britanniahotels.com and I will personally look into your complaint.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Unfortunately this hotel was booked by the company I work for.
The feeling of dread begins when you pull into the car park of the Britannia Hotel outside is in need of some serious TLC.
My room was 224 which was unclean. The bathroom basin had pubic hair in it and the bathroom furniture is old and worn.
The bed had pubic hair in and smelt unclean when you pulled the sheets back.
The room had big cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling and one wall had stained wall paper similar to a leak this is on top of all the scraps and marks all over the walls. Ceiling also had big cracks in it.
The entire hotel needs updating and bringing to a standard people expect. The manager of this hotel has no excuse for the unsanitary state of the room I checked into but no doubt I will get a reply to this post stating her email address and asking me to email her as she has every other bad review on this site anyone can copy and paste!
I checked out at 6pm and went else where.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Onelife33

Thank you for your comments and as I explained in my email, I only ask customers to send me an email when I do not have there details and I need to investigate the complaint.

Unfortunately it was concluded that we had made a terrible mistake with your room and as you checked in at 12 noon before our allocated checkin time - the room had not been fully serviced. This was our mistake and as we explained at thye time, when we did not charge you anything for your stay and I have since apoligised in my email.

This was unexceptable and I apoligise once again.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Over that past years I have stayed at this hotel over 70 nights on and off. It's always been the worst hotel ever it's never changed in the past 10 years which I have been going. The only reason it been able to be so bad is due to the fact that oil company's, like the one I work for book us into it. We don't want it! And thats only due to the fact they can't find anywhere else. Well now they can with all the big chains building hotels next to the airport the only way that this hotel will get anyone in is by improving, and by god they need to. If they say they have a new manager it's good luck to you cos you will need it to. Due to the unavailability of rooms in aberdeen This hotel has taken good money off people and given naf all back to is customers for long enough. I wish it good luck in its much overdue massive change In service. I for one praise competition cos now you have it.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoffrey P

Thank you for your comments. We do have plans to change the hotel and hopefully next time you stay you will see a difference.

We are introducing a new menu and all staff are currently under going retraining. New uniforms have been ordered and rennovations have began. We now including leisure in all stay and hopfully this will lead to more satisfied customers.