“Don't stay here.”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #64 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 11 June 2014

From walking into reception I knew it was going to be an unpleasant experience!
On checking in the girl asked if I had stayed here before then said "I was in for a treat!" And she wasn't wrong. The rooms are dated, dirty with the walls holed, stained and wallpaper hanging off and in need of repair. Mirror in the bathroom is held in by two screws that aren't actually screwed into anything. Not very safe.
The attitude of the staff was bad, from the reception to the bar, the bar staff are more interested in playing in their phones than serving or clearing tables.
The restaurant is dated although breakfast wasn't bad.
Overall not a nice place to stay and hopefully I won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor were very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Steven F

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Aberdeen was full, and the only reasonably priced hotel was the Britannia - at £148 for the night.
I can only say that I am dreading the final two nights in this hotel. Dirty, scruffy, drab, tatty, poor service. Poor sound insulation. Poor location.If your room card is not the right colour you can't charge to your room.
The only good point was the receptionist who was very helpful. Perhaps she was used to customers complaining.
I pity the Japanese (I think) tourists who arrived at breakfast to find no clean tables and only one member of staff.
All in all, a hotel to avoid in future, whatever the cost.
Do not believe the blurb on the hotel website - it's plain rubbish.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Jeff D
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The best part of this break away was being with my partner and if we hadn't travelled 6 and half hours to get there and 2 tanks of petrol to get there and back we would have come home the first night , no lighting in the 1st room then the upgrade had no hot water and had to go 3 floors down to use a room for shower then to find they gave the room out so was then given another room , rooms were dirty , bed broken, service very slow , cleaners didn't understand us , air con in restaurant wasn't working , so the dirty weekend away really was an understatement

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Ellentownson
Karen H, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

HI I am sorry about your stay. I am aware of one couple who complained at the Weekend but I rectified there complaints on checkout? Could you please drop me an email on karen.day@britanniahotels.com so I can investigate your stay further and try to rectify your bad experience.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were looking for somewhere to stay for a couple of nights in Aberdeen at the end of a family holiday before flying home. We didn't need anywhere fancy and the usual low cost chains were booked up. Having been to a couple of weddings at this hotel years earlier we thought it would be okay and it is close to the airport.

Unfortunately, looks like the hotel hasn't been touched for years. The rooms are very tired, dated and grubby. Facilities are practically non-existent and there is no real service to speak of. If we hadn't paid in advance I think we'd have looked for somewhere else.

While we were there, there was a coach tour from (I think) Northern Ireland. I felt very sad that they may leave with a false impression of Aberdeen and Scotland based on this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MeMack

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently under renovation and have noted your comments.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were prepared for our stay by previous reviews - sadly it's all too true - it helps to have a G S O H to overnight here. It resembles a concrete hotel as built in soviet Russia in the seventies, now being run by the council as a hostel for offshore oil workers.
It seems half derelict, either under reconstruction - or hopefully demolition, with the same site workers cheerfully running the hotel - it's quite surreal!
We went in for the whole lot, swim, sauna, steam room, drinks at the bar, dinner with friends in the dining room, and it all happened - weirdly, and predictably badly - but kind of fun. There's too many cranky things to list, mould, changing room door too rotten to close, PAT safety sticker on lamps with no hope of ever working, bar full of cheerful shouty tattooed muscly men - the list is endless.
The lifts work although the main one only goes as far as the smoking rooms floor (what - is that still allowed?) which is fairly stinky, but there's a secret lift half a mile down the corridor which took us to a large comfortable enough room which was thankfully adequate.
Checking out is a bit of a comedy experience too, your card's charged before you get to see the final bill. You're evidently paying quite a lot for a rare experience these days, Fawlty Kremlin Towers! Maybe it's some kind of theatrical arts project - try it once - or maybe not!

Room Tip: You can't: take what comes with a sense of humour and a stiff drink!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Neil S

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate we are tired and we are currently under renovation currently.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Absolutely filthy place. Quite frankly the most disgusting hotel I have ever witnessed. All of my clothes were stained with the foul stench of this place, and several days later I can still smell it on my suit case and suit cover. The reception staff were far from friendly.

Even the taxi driver commented on the hotel when he picked me up the morning I checked out. His exact words were 'what were you thinking, staying in that dump?'. This place seems to have a reputation in Aberdeen as a last resort hovel. Having experienced this place, if I couldn't find anywhere except this dump to stay in whilst in Aberdeen then I simply wouldn't travel to Aberdeen.

THE worst hotel by a mile. Avoid going anywhere near this place.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank stw1983

Hi thanks for your feedback. I agree we are tired and am glad we are currently renovating the hotel.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were desperate for a hotel room as the city was very busy and this is the only reason one should stay at this property. Parking area, lobby and hallways made you feel you were in a real dive. The room was clean but very run down and treadbare and I was horrified at what they charged for it. I understand it was busy in the city but if they are able to command such high rates, they should put some revenue back into the property and fix it up.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I too agree we are tired but clean. we are glad that we are currently being rennovated