“Dreadful”

Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen
Ranked #64 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Oh how I wished I'd read the reviews before staying here. Time warp? Dated, drab & dull. We pitied the two coach loads checking in as we were leaving.
We decided to have a lie-in on our last morning so put the room service breakfast sign outside our room at 10.30pm, guess what, it wasn't collected so no breakfast arrived. When we tried to call reception/concierge and room service we couldn't get through - we later found out that the internal phones weren't working.
Tip - pay the extra and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Buzzybee61

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked four rooms here for myself and three colleagues for several nights as we were in town for a conference. I knew I'd made a mistake from the taxi driver's knowing chuckle as I told him where I was going. This was confirmed when I first saw the building and thought I'd been transported to Sarajevo circa 1992.

I can honestly say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. This would be fine if they charged accordingly...but the fact is due to it being in Aberdeen they feel they can charge what they want and still have a full hotel every night. I can put up with the rude receptionists, the ancient towels (I think the turin shroud is probably in better condition), the weird stains in the bath, the scruffy room reception, the falling apart tables in the bar, the noisy radiators (seriously, how can an appliance with no moving parts make such a racket)...the list goes on. What annoys me is they can say they are renovating all they like but they are still charging £150 a night and they know full well they should be wearing a mask while charging that as it is absolute robbery. Unfortunately it's a supply and demand market though and due to the location people will still stay there and they'll happily continue charging over the odds for the place.

The conference we attended is moving to Glasgow next year and I believe it is partly due to thie situation with greedy hoteliers. So although I like Aberdeen and the people I have to say good riddance as I spent my entire stay apologising to my colleagues for booking them in this hotel.

My advice would be to book Aberdeen early and try the B&Bs before even thinking about booking yourself in this place as it really should be the last resort. I'm not the complaining type and this is the first hotel review I've ever done. I'm usually happy as long as I have a bed and a roof over my head but for the prices this place charge it really is taking the (complimentary)biscuit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Darren F
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Dirty and untidied just outside the hotel. 2 people behind desk only 1 person working with the public. No eye contact, no smile, only questions and computer after a long wait. Bedroom OK but bathroom walls dirty. Corridor smelt of tobacco. Staying outside the main city and restaurant area so ate in. One of the worst meals I have ever had. 3 waiters on duty, 2 of them didn't know what to do, they were pleasant but as the evening went on they looked upset and under a lot of strain. Don't have the prawns or curry. Was woken at 06.15 hrs to tell me that my taxi had come. They got the wrong room taxi not for me. This is the first bad review that I have ever given

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank thomsondSandayUk
Reviewed 11 June 2014

From walking into reception I knew it was going to be an unpleasant experience!
On checking in the girl asked if I had stayed here before then said "I was in for a treat!" And she wasn't wrong. The rooms are dated, dirty with the walls holed, stained and wallpaper hanging off and in need of repair. Mirror in the bathroom is held in by two screws that aren't actually screwed into anything. Not very safe.
The attitude of the staff was bad, from the reception to the bar, the bar staff are more interested in playing in their phones than serving or clearing tables.
The restaurant is dated although breakfast wasn't bad.
Overall not a nice place to stay and hopefully I won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor were very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Steven F
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Aberdeen was full, and the only reasonably priced hotel was the Britannia - at £148 for the night.
I can only say that I am dreading the final two nights in this hotel. Dirty, scruffy, drab, tatty, poor service. Poor sound insulation. Poor location.If your room card is not the right colour you can't charge to your room.
The only good point was the receptionist who was very helpful. Perhaps she was used to customers complaining.
I pity the Japanese (I think) tourists who arrived at breakfast to find no clean tables and only one member of staff.
All in all, a hotel to avoid in future, whatever the cost.
Do not believe the blurb on the hotel website - it's plain rubbish.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Jeff D
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The best part of this break away was being with my partner and if we hadn't travelled 6 and half hours to get there and 2 tanks of petrol to get there and back we would have come home the first night , no lighting in the 1st room then the upgrade had no hot water and had to go 3 floors down to use a room for shower then to find they gave the room out so was then given another room , rooms were dirty , bed broken, service very slow , cleaners didn't understand us , air con in restaurant wasn't working , so the dirty weekend away really was an understatement

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Ellentownson
Karen H, General Manager at Britannia Hotel - Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

HI I am sorry about your stay. I am aware of one couple who complained at the Weekend but I rectified there complaints on checkout? Could you please drop me an email on karen.day@britanniahotels.com so I can investigate your stay further and try to rectify your bad experience.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were looking for somewhere to stay for a couple of nights in Aberdeen at the end of a family holiday before flying home. We didn't need anywhere fancy and the usual low cost chains were booked up. Having been to a couple of weddings at this hotel years earlier we thought it would be okay and it is close to the airport.

Unfortunately, looks like the hotel hasn't been touched for years. The rooms are very tired, dated and grubby. Facilities are practically non-existent and there is no real service to speak of. If we hadn't paid in advance I think we'd have looked for somewhere else.

While we were there, there was a coach tour from (I think) Northern Ireland. I felt very sad that they may leave with a false impression of Aberdeen and Scotland based on this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MeMack

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently under renovation and have noted your comments.

Thanks