“Historic Hotel in Central Aberdeen”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Captiva Island, Florida
“Historic Hotel in Central Aberdeen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Booked two rooms for a three day family vacation. Rooms were a little small, but clean and well maintained. Views over Park are very nice, make sure to ask for room with view! Lots of dining in area. Hotel does have free parking if renting a car. Agree with other reviewers that restaurant is above average for breakfast and dinner.

Get feeling that hotel is more of a business hotel than a vacation destination.

Room Tip: Ask for view.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at. We endeavour to give all our guests a high level of service and it's great you feel this was achieved.

We are the oldest hotel in Aberdeen dating back to 1891 and have kept some original features with a temporary design, we are fortunate to have such a great building with one of the best views in the city and it is great to hear you enjoyed the view.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Jane Bourque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I booked the Caledonian Hotel in Aberdeen as a special treat for my partner and myself to have a nice romantic week-end away. We took out little dog with us, as when we booked on line the hotel said pet's welcome. When we arrived they could not find our reservation, and said that pet's were now not allowed! I asked to speak to the Manager and after a heated discussion she allowed my dog in the hotel ( as a concession!).
On going up to out rooms we were really dissapointed, we did expect the hotel as it was an old building, to be oldy worldy, but found the rooms drab and in desperate need of a makeover. I certainly would not stay here again. The breakfast was ok but again nothing special or what you would expext in a 4 star hotel. I now stay at the Holiday Inn Express when going to Aberdeen.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear Guest,

We are sorry that you were not happy with your stay at our hotel. At Thistle we endeavour to deliver a high level of service, and we apologise that you did not receive this during your stay. Our hotel has recently undergone a full refurbishment of all our bedrooms since your stay with us, which was completed in May this year. I would love the opportunity when you are next in Aberdeen to show you what we have done. I will send you a separate message with my direct contact details if you would like to take me up on this offer.

With reference to Pets in the hotel this is to the discretion of the management, I apologies for the upset caused on the day. I will be looking into this and ensuring this is communicated correctly in the future.

I have recently joined The Caledonia by Thistle and your feedback is invaluable to me to ensure we deliver exception service day in day out.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we hope to welcome you back to Caledonian by Thistle in the future.

Jane Bourque
Perth, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

On my arrival there was a queue of 6 people at reception with no receeptionist to be found. However, when I did get served, the receptionist was very apologetic and polite and informed me that I had been upgraded to a deluxe room. Room was very nice and clean, the bed very comfy and the bathroom was lovely. I had booked on a room only basis and was informed that if I booked breakfast that night, the rate would be £8 instead of £16. Not sure what that was all about as the cost of breakfast was £14.95!! Breakfast I have to say was very good but I would not have had it if I had been informed of the correct cost. There is also no indication in the room of the cost of breakfast. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay and with the location being very central to bus and rail links, it is the perfect hotel for shopping/theatre breaks etc., and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Needham, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

The staff is quite pleasant and helpful. The rooms are nice/standard older European hotel rooms -- not fantastic for business use. The food in the restaurant and bar is quite good. The business facilities are weak -- slide projection, but little space for hanging flipcharts and the like on the walls.

Rooms on front of hotel are very noisy -- street noise and train tracks a few hundred yards across the way.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

Fab visit to this hotel, check in efficiant, staff very friendly and helpful. Room was really nice and very well decorated. Perfect location for the city. Breakfast was also very nice. Hotel clean and tidy.

Room Tip: Used hotel Connections to book
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

booked through central booking for four nights in a double room as a single traveller with my wife joing me on the fourth night. i got a good deal if i paid for it at the time of booking, which i did., but was non changeable and non refundable.
when i checked in i was informed that i had book a single room for three night and a double room for the fourth, i informed the impassive receptionist that this was wrong the duty manager was got i should him my confimation e-mail, he informed me that all they had was a single, i asked him why if i could'nt change my booking why could they which i got no reponse. i was given a wi fi voucher for my duration of my stay as a sorry but even this went wrong as it only worked for one night.....went to inform the imapasive receptionist and was told they would get back to me....still waiting.
breakfast not the warmest even taking into account that it was a buffet i was the first one there one day but still not as hot as it could have been.

Room Tip: double check your booking with the hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank johnny230
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Stayed in this hotel on Sat 21 May 2011 for 1 night as went to see Thriller Live at His Majesty's Theatre. Great location, couldn't fault it, staff very friendly and welcoming. Busy at reception but this is to be expected with such a popular hotel. Buffet/cooked breakfast is good too. If you are on a budget, the standard rooms are ideal and meets your needs, it is clean and that's the main thing.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple