“Impressed”

Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Scotland
“Impressed”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Our bedroom and the public areas all looked like they had been recently done up. The bed was very comfy and the room was spotless. The location of the hotel right in the heart of Aberdeen is excellent. We had a lovely view from our window over the gardens. There was a bit of noise at night which is to be expected when in such a central location. The old sash and case windows are not good at insulating noise but they look so much nicer than PVC ones and it is really good to see the hotel keeping some of the original features during modernisation. There was always plenty of space in the carpark at the rear of the hotel. My only complaint is a design fault with the shower guard which did not cover enough of the edge of the bath and meant the floor flooded everytime we showered. Will definitely stay here if we come back.

• Stayed November 2011
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Caledonian By Thistle. When undergoing our refurbishment it was important to us to try and keep as many of our original features as possible and I am glad you agree. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Jane Bourque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Lovely friendly hotel despite being in the city centre. On arrival was told that I - not my wife- was VIP of the day and so we received an upgrade to a beautiful room on the 4th floor. Was phoned by reception to ask if everything was up to standard - a first for me.

Breakfast/ bar area is a bit of a mish-mash. Lots of bright tiling but not really in keeping with the quality of the rest of the hotel. Is this to be renovated? Too brash and pub-like for my tastes I fear.

Quiet despite room overlooking gardens. Will definitely return. Car parking was great as long as there are spaces. What happens when it is full - do they offer on-street parking and refund you - doubt it.

Room Tip: when booking ask if they can reserve you a space in the car park. you can only ask!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visits to Caledonian By Thistle. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and you were selected as our VIP of the day. In the past 2 years we have had some improvement work to our hotel most notably our bedrooms and reception area, we are in the process of looking at the possibility of upgrading other areas of the hotel. As you can appreciate car parking in any city centre location can be difficult and for this reason we do offer a limited number of first come first served complimentary car parking spaces which is not included as part of out room charges. Other local parking can be found nearby which is free after 8pm.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Falkirk, Scotland
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We arrived at around 1320 to check-in and there were already a few people ahead of us wiating to check-in. The receptionist was slow and made a point of broadcasting to everyone what type of room each guest had booked and how much they had paid for it. I get the reason for this, but I'm sure she doesn't need to shoud it from the rooftops!

After about 15 minutes, we were greeted and when she checked our reservation, she simply turned to me and said 'no' - without an explanation. I asked what she meant and was told that the type of room we had booked wasn't ready, followed by a blank stare. I asked when we should return and was advised that check-in was onlyt available from 2pm. She was so friendly and not fortcoming with information. When we returned 20 minutes later, we were met by a different receptionist (Rachel I think) and she couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

Our room was on the 1st floor our looking the gardess opposite the hotel and the room was lovely. Well appointed, newly decorated and very comfortable. We had a great sleep!! There was a function on downstatirs at night, which made it a little noisy in the room, but it wasn't too much of an issue. We did have a drink in the hotel bar and the price was reasonable, although service was quistionnable.

In the morning breakfast was a great, good quality and a super choice. The service here was very attentive and friendly.

Overall, we had a great short stay. The proximity to His Majety's (2 minute walk) makes this ideal if you are seeing a show. The hotel is only about 10-15 minute walk from the train station and Union Street is right on your doorstep!

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments and feedback. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your visit while attending the Theatre in Aberdeen. I will be sure to sure to pass your kind comments on to Rachel and I will look into your comments regarding the bar and your initial encounter with reception. All our team are trained to the highest standard and it is disappointing to receive your comments. But it is only with honest feedback we can improve so thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Just back from 3 nights in this hotel and had a fantastic time! We had a room looking over the union terrace gardens on the 4th floor which was very quiet despite the busy road below. Room was very clean and comfortable. Ate breakfast each morning in the hotel which was lovely and had plenty of choice. Best thing about this hotel though gas to be location, just a minutes walk from the main shopping centre and bars and restaurants. We walked everywhere leaving our car in the hotel car park. A thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank actual_al
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Dear reviewer

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Caledonian By Thistle and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Oxford
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Friendly and professional staff, modernly decorated in purple and grey (without being pretentious). The room was clean and nicely decorated as well with large tiled bathroom. We booked a pre-pay deal online for a double room online (£55/night) so I don't mind that the room itself was a little small. There was no noise from the street or the other guests to disturb our sleep. Central, easy to find location. The cafe was a little expensive but then, the food was good (cheese stuffed peppers, then cullen skink soup). After we checked out, the receptionist also looked after our luggage while we went out for a few hours before our flight.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your review. We at Thistle pride ourselves on offering our guest’s great value and excellent service I am pleased to hear that this was the case. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Caledonian By Thistle in the near future.

chicago, il
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My family just returned from a stay at this hotel. We did not book this hotel; it was part of a golf trip and the company managed the booking. Upon arrival, we were assigned five different rooms on the first and second floors. I believe they were all described as "standard double rooms", but as I mentioned, we did not book them. All of the rooms faced the back of the hotel. The rooms were mostly clean. In my room, there were cobwebs on some of the light fixtures, but the bathroom and beds were clean. Some of the couples in our group were disconcerted with the beds. My room had a king bed, and I asked the girl in reception why some rooms had larger beds, and some smaller, when they were all the same classification. She told me all the beds were the same size. Very puzzled, I had to go back and look. One room had a king bed, one a queen, the rest doubles, clearly not all the same size. One of the couples really would have been more comfortable with a larger bed, but when I asked, I was told there was none available. Hard to believe that they could not have accommodated this request at least the next day, as we saw many people checking out the second morning we were there. Everyone in our group felt the beds were hard and uncomfortable. The website says the rooms are air-conditioned, but none of ours were, and the rooms were quite warm and stuffy. Consequently, we were forced to open windows, and the noise from the street in back of the hotel was considerable. The complimentary toiletries in the bathroom did not include either hair conditioner or body lotion. And oddly, there were no washcloths. On the plus side, I did enjoy the ambiance of the common areas. I loved the grand staircase and cafe. Our breakfasts were very good, and the staff at breakfast could not have been nicer or more helpful. The cleaning staff made up the rooms promptly, most often when we were at breakfast. The cafe was a nice place to gather for a drink before and after dinner. The location of the hotel was good, and we were able to walk to several very nice restaurants for dinner.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the upper floors might be more updated.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Firstly thank you for your valuable feedback. In relation to the bed sizes we do have a number of different room types. Your group were all in standard rooms and yes your room allocated was slightly different. Although still classed as a double room the bed in fact can be used as a twin room and is therefore slightly larger than the average bed. We have just 3 rooms with this type of bed and all were already in use this weekend therefore we could not allocate this room to your companions. We always try and accommodate all our guest’s needs and you are able to request extras before arrival and we will do our best to ensure this is available. All our beds are hypnos high quality beds and have just recently been replaced so I apologies that these seem hard.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding our teams these have been passed on and the team are grateful for the mention this really means a lot.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of the your stay in Aberdeen despite the weather that weekend.

Kind regards,

stirling
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My boyfrind and I wanted to go away for a night and decided on Aberdeen. On looking at the reviews on here from before the refurbishment we were sceptical. On arriving there it was clean, modern and trendy. The room was beautiful, tall windows, well presented double bed, clean bathroom and beautifil dark wood furnature. The food was a tad pricey but very tasty and worth the money. Staff were very friendly and helpful (even when it came to finding my purse from the night before). I was very please with my stay and would defo recommend it. We have discussed going again next year. I have to say as well as the hotel being fab, it was very close to bars and restraunts and the main street. only a 2 minute walk and you come to a nice bar called the monkey house and if you carry on down union street u will find small bars in ally ways. GO TO THIS HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kirsty k
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Dear Kirsty,

We are delighted that your recent stay with us was an enjoyable experience. We aim to ensure that all guests receive a high level of service from us, and the entire team greatly appreciate any feedback that we receive. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay; we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.