“Cafe continental”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #25 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Loving the cafe area. Remebered my hot chocolate afternoons there. The room was what I expected. Overall loved myself feeling all continetal in the middle of Aberdeen

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to respond and let us know of your stay. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stayed here in December with a friend for a weekend shopping trip in Aberdeen and found the hotel location fantastic! so close to all the shops and bars.. The hotel was clean and the food was fantastic, I would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone visiting Aberdeen.. Food is 100% the best ive had in along time! worth a visit..

Room Tip: Deluxe room we booked over looked the union terrace gardens.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank victoria m
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback and kind comments regarding our restaurant. We have recently introduced our new menu and we have received some positive results.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you to The Caledonian By Thistle in the near future.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

The Thistle is a decently nice hotel, especially for UK standards. The breakfast is completely adequate. Best thing about the Thistle is that it is in walking distance to the Union Street and all of the eating options. I travel to Aberdeen regularly and have tried almost all of the major brand name hotels. I prefer the Thistle over all of the other local options because of the location.

Only complaint is that on one trip the hot water stopped working... in the winter. My shower that morning was freezing. But that can happen at any hotel and I don't hold it against the staff too much as it only happened once.

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear Reviewer

Firstly thank you for spending time to leave your feedback. It is great to hear that we are your first choice option when staying in Aberdeen. With regards to the water unfortunately our boiler had broken on the morning of your stay and we now have this fixed.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

Have spent many months this year travelling upto Aberdeen, rooms Monday thru Friday are at a premium, so you take what you can get.
Stayed once in the Caledonia in October.
Parking is available with the hotel, but directions could be improved, and its pretty limited considering the number of rooms. The again you gat a lot of overnight stays here when the weather is bad and there are no flights offshore, so you get all type in the bar, but hey, if it’s a room you want then that’s what you’ll get.

The foyer and stairs , bar are, etc look to have been revamped, but the rooms and corridors could do with some updating.
I booked a standard room, - was a little surprised at how small it was. The window looked out to a wall opposite, around 2m away, so not mush to look at. Bathroom and room were small, and add a cupboard, desk and chair, there was not much room left to swing the proverbial cat.
Only tried breakfast one day, took time to be seated and I’d booked a taxi so left without eating.

Its handy of you want to be in the middle of the city, but that’s about it.
If its business you’re on then Ok, if its an overnight then even better.
There’s a number of bars and restaurants all nearby so choice is varied.
Wifi was OK, but again slow.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Stroller66
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear Reviewer

Firstly thank you for leaving a review. I am sorry that you did not seem to enjoy your stay with us on that occasion. With regards to the car park this is a free residents only car park but as you will appreciate city centre car parking is hard to come by especially free so this is a first come first served basis. I am glad to see you have noticed the improvements we have made to the hotel in the past years. All our rooms have now received some upgrading. As we are a listed building all our rooms are different sizes and we display pictures of all our room types on our website so guests can see there room type booked pre arrival.

Once again thank you for leaving a review.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

Our bedroom and the public areas all looked like they had been recently done up. The bed was very comfy and the room was spotless. The location of the hotel right in the heart of Aberdeen is excellent. We had a lovely view from our window over the gardens. There was a bit of noise at night which is to be expected when in such a central location. The old sash and case windows are not good at insulating noise but they look so much nicer than PVC ones and it is really good to see the hotel keeping some of the original features during modernisation. There was always plenty of space in the carpark at the rear of the hotel. My only complaint is a design fault with the shower guard which did not cover enough of the edge of the bath and meant the floor flooded everytime we showered. Will definitely stay here if we come back.

• Stayed: November 2011
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Caledonian By Thistle. When undergoing our refurbishment it was important to us to try and keep as many of our original features as possible and I am glad you agree. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 November 2011

Lovely friendly hotel despite being in the city centre. On arrival was told that I - not my wife- was VIP of the day and so we received an upgrade to a beautiful room on the 4th floor. Was phoned by reception to ask if everything was up to standard - a first for me.

Breakfast/ bar area is a bit of a mish-mash. Lots of bright tiling but not really in keeping with the quality of the rest of the hotel. Is this to be renovated? Too brash and pub-like for my tastes I fear.

Quiet despite room overlooking gardens. Will definitely return. Car parking was great as long as there are spaces. What happens when it is full - do they offer on-street parking and refund you - doubt it.

Room Tip: when booking ask if they can reserve you a space in the car park. you can only ask!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
186338Thistle, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visits to Caledonian By Thistle. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and you were selected as our VIP of the day. In the past 2 years we have had some improvement work to our hotel most notably our bedrooms and reception area, we are in the process of looking at the possibility of upgrading other areas of the hotel. As you can appreciate car parking in any city centre location can be difficult and for this reason we do offer a limited number of first come first served complimentary car parking spaces which is not included as part of out room charges. Other local parking can be found nearby which is free after 8pm.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We arrived at around 1320 to check-in and there were already a few people ahead of us wiating to check-in. The receptionist was slow and made a point of broadcasting to everyone what type of room each guest had booked and how much they had paid for it. I get the reason for this, but I'm sure she doesn't need to shoud it from the rooftops!

After about 15 minutes, we were greeted and when she checked our reservation, she simply turned to me and said 'no' - without an explanation. I asked what she meant and was told that the type of room we had booked wasn't ready, followed by a blank stare. I asked when we should return and was advised that check-in was onlyt available from 2pm. She was so friendly and not fortcoming with information. When we returned 20 minutes later, we were met by a different receptionist (Rachel I think) and she couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

Our room was on the 1st floor our looking the gardess opposite the hotel and the room was lovely. Well appointed, newly decorated and very comfortable. We had a great sleep!! There was a function on downstatirs at night, which made it a little noisy in the room, but it wasn't too much of an issue. We did have a drink in the hotel bar and the price was reasonable, although service was quistionnable.

In the morning breakfast was a great, good quality and a super choice. The service here was very attentive and friendly.

Overall, we had a great short stay. The proximity to His Majety's (2 minute walk) makes this ideal if you are seeing a show. The hotel is only about 10-15 minute walk from the train station and Union Street is right on your doorstep!

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments and feedback. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your visit while attending the Theatre in Aberdeen. I will be sure to sure to pass your kind comments on to Rachel and I will look into your comments regarding the bar and your initial encounter with reception. All our team are trained to the highest standard and it is disappointing to receive your comments. But it is only with honest feedback we can improve so thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,