I have stayed at the Caledonian six times in a year but I think this is my last time.
I have always been concerned about their pricing policy which seems to based upon when Aberdeen is busy the rate is high and when the city is not busy it becomes more reasonable. Therefore the rate can vary between £80 and £180 per person per night. For this you get an entry into a lucky dip for rooms. Sometimes you can get a wonderful sized room with acres of space, closet room and a large en suite, but on the other hand you can also get a 3m x 2m cupboard with the television suspended over the bed (e.g. room 301).
The restaurant can be either described as 'Cafe' style or cold and uninviting, certainly the television on the corner with Sky News is distracting. Breakfast at £15 for 'serve yourself buffet' is one of the most expensive in Aberdeen.
All of the rooms are clean and the housekeeping is excellent. Rooms in the back of the hotel are quiet with no views or in the front they have views of the wonderful skylines of Aberdeen but noisy from street traffic. Wi-fi is chargeable and can be expensive (isn't about time that British hotels started to include free wi-fi as standard?).
The staff are accommodating but coldly efficient. There is free parking for about twenty cars (first come first served). It is central to all the restaurants and pubs in Aberdeen and within walking distance from the train station.
There is better value in Aberdeen, this hotel pretends to play in the premier division but is about to be relegated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, is perfectly placed for exploring handsome, vibrant Aberdeen, known to the world as the Granite City. Located in the centre of Aberdeen, overlooking Union Terrace Gardens and five-minute walk from the railway station, The Caledonian Hotel is a grand example of the city's distinctive Victorian architecture. It's close to many local attractions, and an excellent base for touring the Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Lastminute, Superbreak UK, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Caledonian, Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- The Hotel Aberdeen
- Caledonian Thistle
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel Scotland