“Business trip”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Ideal location, close to the Railway Station, Union Street with it's Bars and Restaurants etc.
The Check-in was effortless.....the receptionist was very helpful.
Excellent Breakfast, but didn't get to try an evening meal as I had other arrangements.
Reasonably priced and would recommend the hotel for a short business trip.

Room Tip: Try and book a double room....the snigle room was on the small size.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Thistlehotels, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us at the Caledonian and found our receptionist to be very helpful. I appreciate your kind comments regarding the quality of our breakfast and have passed this onto the chefs. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel

Reviewed 14 February 2013

I arrived late and reception was manned, check in process was smooth.

Room is spacious but has a ventilation problem, it's hot as the radiators are on perminantly.

In the room when it's windy outside the whistling noise in the room is terrible.

Food smells in the corridor and an unpleasant odour in reception

Some headlines:

In room safe doesn't work.
Room access card keeps failing
£5 service charge to have a drink brought upto the room
Shower is more like a
Breakfast service appalling, ask twice for everything. "Hot" food served cold
Restaurant should be avoided

In the plus side its location is convienient but I'm sure you can find better.

Avoid.

• Stayed: February 2013
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Reviewer
Its makes difficult reading and please let me assure you your feedback has been taken on board and actioned. I would like the opportunity to discuss your experience further. My mobile number is 07825 105 432 and direct email jane.bourque@thistle.co.uk. If you would be so kind to let me invite you back to the Caledonian as my guest to show you the improvements already made following your review.
Best Regard
Jane Bourque

Reviewed 13 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel the weekend before valentines day. On arrival the staff were very welcoming, helpful and the lobby was very nice. Our room was absolutely spotless as well as spacious and comfortable. The shower was fantastic and the surroundings were nice and quiet considering it is in the city centre. The hotel is in a great location and is very close to shops, pubs, restaurants and museums. Breakfast has great variety and the food itself was top class. I was delighted with my stay and would and will definitely stay again!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darren M

Dear Darren M
Thank you for your review following your stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us at the Caledonian and your comments about the cleanliness of the room shall be passed on to our housekeeping team. I also appreciate your kind comments regarding the quality of our breakfast and have passed these onto the team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon and hope that you had a pleasant Valentines weekend.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Had an amazing time at this hotel! Great location close to all restaurants, pubs, clubs, shops and tourist attraction places. Very friendly highly skilled staff. Luxury and top clean room with a modern decor. We stayed on the third floor so had great view of the city as well. Food was absolutely delicious! Highly recomend to get cooked breakfast there so good! All was just perfect definitely will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us at the Caledonian and our city centre location was to your liking. I also enjoyed reading your comments about our staff and shall pass on your comments. As you have seen the view from our deluxe rooms cannot be faulted and is one of our many features of the hotel. I also appreciate your kind comments regarding the quality of our breakfast and shall pass your comments to our chefs. I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I went back to this hotel after a trip there last year. In between I had stayed at a competitor's hotel as the Caledonian was fully-booked then. This time I was again delighted with my treatment. Nice, clean room, really thoughtful and helpful staff, and very central location with loads of restaurants and places to visit within just a few minutes walk. The only thing really that I could criticize is the small car park but in centre Aberdeen space is very short so I suppose they can't do anything about the car park. Everything else was fine and i will certainly go back there on my next trip to Aberdeen.

Room Tip: Central location means some noise is inevitable but staff couldn't be more helpful
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear Simon T
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay. I am extremely glad that you returned to us at the Caledonian. I am also delighted that you enjoyed your stay, the location of the hotel speaks for its self and is unmatched in Aberdeen, however as you know this limits the amount of parking that we have. That being said we are the only hotel within the city centre to offer complimentary car parking to our guests. I will share your valuable feedback with the team. I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in an executive room which was clean, modern and overlooked the gardens. The room was quite large and the bed very comfy. The staff were very helpful and parking in their small car park a great benefit.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2013

This is the first time that I have written a review on a hotel but I thought it appropriate to pass on my annoyance at the way I was treated at this establishment. The room I was allocated was small to say the least which if truth be told I was not to bothered about, however it is the first time that I have had to walk uphill in to a bathroom, this was not enhanced by a number of lose tiles and indeed one was even cracked. The whole room is not square and is at an angle. I went down to reception and politely requested to move rooms, the young lady on reception declared that there were no alternative rooms available but also dropped in that I was in a "budget room", this room cost the organisation that I work for £262.20 for 3 nights. I know Aberdeen is expensive but that is not the point for £87.40 a night certain standards should be expected. Room 303 which I had the misfortune to be allocated to should not be used until it has been refurbished to an acceptable standard. I also think that the young lady that I spoke to was not intentionally being rather condescending but I suggest that she needs a little re-training on how to deal with customers concerns/complaints.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business