“Good Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Sunderland
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I Had a good stay in this hotel.
I stayed in a single room on the 3rd floor. Room was clean, spacious enough for a single room and had a comfy bed and a reasonable size TV. There was no view from the window other than the neighbouring building and fire escape.
As I stayed on a weekend I got a very good rate and was actually cheaper than the Travelodge and the rooms in the Caledonian are much better.
Excellent location just off union street. The staff were friendly and if im back in Aberdeen for a night out would'nt hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jock25
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Jock25
Thanks for you recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. Its great to see you enjoyed you stay here with ourselves and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Next time you stay booking a deluxe room with ourselves would give you the most amazing views over Aberdeen.

Kind regards
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Just had another amazing night at the Caledonian! This place is the best location in Aberdeen. We normally have a night out in Aberdeen every 6 - 8 weeks and have chosen to stay here for the past 10 years normally in a suite. This time we booked a deluxe double and were upgraded to a suite. The rooms are great and the hotel is right in the centre of Aberdeen. We have always found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We haven't eaten in the restaurant in the evening but have heard good reviews. Breakfast is excellent!

Thanks again Calley and see you next month!

Room Tip: Deluxe double and suites at front have great views of the terrace gardens. Terrace suite is lovely.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hazels123
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Hazels123
Thanks for your great review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Caledonian and return to us each month. As you know our location and historic property are our main selling points as well as being the oldest hotel in Aberdeen. Thank you again for the review, myself and all the team here at the “Caley” look forward to seeing you next month.

Turriff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Had a fantastic night in this hotel. I booked a suite because it was our anniversary and wasn't disappointed! We arrived back to our room to find two glasses of sparkling wine and fruit and chocolates which was a lovely surprise. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan L
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Susan L
Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen. I am Glad you enjoyed your suite and hopefully the recent weather did not spoil the beautiful city view from your bedroom. I hope you enjoyed your anniversary stay and that the prosecco and fruit made it that little bit better. Hopefully we will see you again in a year’s time if not sooner.

Guest Relations manager
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

A fantastic 2 night stay in the centre of aberdeen up for friends 50th, I booked this through last minute.com and got a great price for the 4 of us for the 2 nights, everyone very friendly and always there to help. We were given a drink on the house for our friends birthday, we never ate bit expensive but had a few drinks. Couldn't fault our rooms everything was there that we needed.
Fantastic place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Lorna K
Thank you for you review on the Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen. Its great to read that you enjoyed your stay here at the Caledonian I hope your friends did as well, I am glad to see you got a drink on the house for your friends birthday and from all of us here at the Caledonian “happy Birthday”. Hopefully you will return to us soon and we look forward to your return.

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Chose this 4 star hotel because of it's rating, and central location - 10 minutes walk from Railway Station and shopping centre. Entrance steps were filthy, inside reception area was pleasant with helpful, polite staff. Allocated a very small, back bedroom on the first floor overlooking a noisy, narrow cobbled lane. Bed was comfy and clean. Discovered in the morning that the shower did not work. The trickle of water was SCALDING and dangerous, so no morning shower. Had a wash standing in the bath filling a cup from the sink with warm water - not good! On reporting the situation to Receptionist we were upgraded to a Suite which was very nice, but the lack of basic facilities on our first night had spoilt our stay.

The large lounge bar, very quiet in the evening, doubled as the breakfast room. The quality of the Breakfast was disappointing, and some crockery had to be replaced with clean ones. All staff were polite and friendly, but unfortunately I could not recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room with a view. Ask staff to confirm that all facilities in the room (Heating...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kate
Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen. I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and the issues that you have brought up I shall address personally, and I apologise. I am glad to see that you were upgraded and that the team were good during you stay. I would like to talk to you personally about your stay, My email address is conor.summersgill@thistle.co.uk I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards
Guest Relations
aberdeen
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

I am a hhonors diamond member and so usually only use hiltons. I got a cheap rate off last minute.com for good friday and so thought I would give a go. The duty manager and receptionist were so friendly and made the hotel. They upgraded me to a nice room which I did not expect. The night manager was less friendly as wanted to use the Internet for 5 minutes and took a while for him to reluctantly give me a code but he did- I understand they charge but for 5 minutes. In any case, I would stay here again and the Friday night staff were excellent. Also hotel is next to shops and bars.

• Stayed March 2013
Conor S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Bikevail09

Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. I am happy to see you enjoyed your recent stay with ourselves and that you shall be returning. I shall also pass on your comments to Lindsay Aitchison who was the duty manager that day and the staff that were here on the Friday night, its always great to get good staff feedback. I shall look into the Wifi issue as that should not have happened and I apologise. I hope to see you in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I recently stayed for a few nights in March & was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was beautiful, an old building but in great condition & very well looked after.

The room which I stayed in (109) was lovely, a great size, large comfy bed & everything was in great condition. The room was also cleaned to a high standard & was cleaned thoroughly every day. The staff overall were great, very pleasant & always there to help.There was some noise from the street outside in the early hours each day, but I know this isn't your fault.

The only other issue I had was with breakfast service, the staff seemed overstretched & had no time to serve people properly & I had to wait longer than I expected to for my cooked breakfast. However, I will definitely stay when I'm in the city centre again in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FrancesL431
Dear FrancesL431

Thank you for your recent review on the Caledonian Thistle Aberdeen. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with ourselves and shall be returning which is brilliant, with regards to the breakfast service we have just decided to increase the amount of waiting staff, which should resolve the issue that you came across. I hope to see you in the near future and once again thank you for your great feedback.