I am an hour away from check-out, so I thought I would post a review of the Thistle Caledonian. I must say that I loved my visit.I booked a Deluxe Double on LateRooms.com and got a 2 night, room-only stay for £168. A bargain in this very expensive city. They described it as deluxe and deluxe is what I got. I was wowed as soon as I walked into the room. It was so spacious. I believe that it was recently refurbished and is finished to a very high standard.
As soon as you walk into the room, there is a sliding door wardrobe to your left, with a full size mirror. Inside, the wardrobe is lit, which makes finding your clothes a doddle. There is a suitcase stand and ironing implements. I didn't use these but it was nice to know it was an immediate option. Next to the wardrobe there is a vanity cabinet with another mirror, a drawer and a double cupboard at the bottom. Inside the cupboard is an easy to use safe.
There is also a full-sized desk with comfy chair, and yet another mirror. No shortage of mirrors in this room :-) In the drawers there was a Tresemme professional hairdryer and a tea and coffee service tray. This contained the usual Kenco coffee (including de-caf), tea bags, and hot chocolate, plus a range of sugars and sweeteners. There was also two packs of Walkers Shortbread which were immediately scoffed. This tray was replenished every day. Above the table is a wall-mounted Phillips tv, with a full range of tv channels. Good quality picture and sound.
Next to the table was two small armchairs, which were very comfy and adorned with nice cushions. Lots of attention to detail in this room.
The bed was so comfortable. Huge fluffy pillows and a semi-firm mattress. I slept like the dead. They also provided fluffy towels, slippers, and a bathrobe. All amazing! Next to the bed was two tables with lamps. The hotel also provided earplugs to block out city sounds but these weren't needed and offered an early morning wake-up call.
The bathroom was lovely! Heated towel rails and a nice new suite. The bath area was fantastic with a 3 in 1 set up. A monsoon shower, handheld shower and a nice deep bath - big enough for two. The complimentary toiletries were excellent too. I will say, however, that there was a smell of damp when I initially opened the door but that is down to a lack of ventilation. There was no mould. I aired it for a while and it was fine. I think the hotel should provided a bath mat, as the floor got a bit slippy.
I decided to complement my trip with breakfast. That was the only disappointing part. The price was astronomical - £10 a day! There was plenty to pick from - a full continental selection and cooked items. I must say that the scrambled eggs really let it down. They were watery and lacked seasoning. I was also disappointed to receive an English breakfast in a Scottish hotel. There was no lorne sausage or potato scones :-( I definitely wouldn't pay for breakfast next time.
What else can I say? The free Wi-fi was a good perk and I made use of the luggage room on arrival and will ask to use it upon check-out before heading to Dyce airport. The staff were extremely friendly and willing to help. All in all, I would return to this hotel and the poor breakfast did not detract from my stay too much.
Well done Thistle!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, is perfectly placed for exploring handsome, vibrant Aberdeen, known to the world as the Granite City. Located in the centre of Aberdeen, overlooking Union Terrace Gardens and five-minute walk from the railway station, The Caledonian Hotel is a grand example of the city's distinctive Victorian architecture. It's close to many local attractions, and an excellent base for touring the Highlands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Lastminute, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Caledonian, Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- The Hotel Aberdeen
- Caledonian Thistle
- Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel Scotland