“Great hotel and location”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Scotland
“Great hotel and location”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night when we visited Aberdeen. It is centrally located, just off Union Street and a two minute walk from the Art Gallery and His Majesty's Theatre. The railway and bus stations are less than a 10 minute walk away. Staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and friendly. The standard of accommodation was excellent. Linens and towels were top quality. We stayed in a superior room which overlooked the Gardens. The internet connection in our room was strong. I would recommend this hotel and would use it in the future

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
JaneBourque, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Pinklorry,

Thank you so much for your kind review on your recent stay with us.

I am glad you enjoyed our location and also our wifi. We currently have the fastest wifi in the city and believe it or not we are due to upgrade to 5 times our current speed!

We look forward to you visiting again soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Our stay at this hotel was really lovely! As soon as we entered the hotel we were greeted and seen to by the receptionist Charlotte. After checking us in we asked her where a certain place was and she found it then also booked us a taxi, more than most receptionist would do. As soon as we got to our room we received a call to ask if everything was ok with the room as well.

We stayed in a Standard double room which was really clean and quite spacious and lovely and warm. Perfect for one night stay or weekend break. Also I suggest you pay for breakfast at the hotel and don't book it when you book then room, you'll receive a voucher and pay less when you book at the hotel.

As we aren't leaving until 8.00pm tonight (late flight :-() they have space for you to leave your bags until you leave for the airport. Overall I think this hotel is really lovely, staff are brilliant and it's definitely worth the money! We will be staying with Thistle again. And the location is ideal! :-)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
JaneBourque, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear JennaL0uise

Thank you so much for your kind review on your recent stay. It's great to hear that Charlotte went over and above your expectations.

For those staying with us room only we do offer the £10 breakfast cards which is a saving of between £5-£8 based on brreakfast in other 4 Star hotels in the city, I'm glad you took advantage.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for an overnight visit to Aberdeen. There is on site parking however it is not at the front of the Hotel, parking is to the rear of the hotel. We checked in 40 minutes early from the advertised check in time which was very convenient and was advised we were receiving an upgraded room.
The room itself was large, spacious and clean and found it very comfortable and found it excellent value for money at £60.
The hotel is situated right next to Union Street therefore easy access to shops, pubs and restaurants. Overall an excellent stay and would go back again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
JaneBourque, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Billy M,

Thank you for your excellent review. We are one of the only city centre hotels who still offer free parking to our guests so I'm glad you appreciated this.

I'm also very glad you appreciated your complimentary upgrade. During quieter times we dont like to see our deluxe rooms and suites go to waste so from time to time we our guests are fortunate enough to recieve an upgrade.

Dalry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I am an hour away from check-out, so I thought I would post a review of the Thistle Caledonian. I must say that I loved my visit.I booked a Deluxe Double on LateRooms.com and got a 2 night, room-only stay for £168. A bargain in this very expensive city. They described it as deluxe and deluxe is what I got. I was wowed as soon as I walked into the room. It was so spacious. I believe that it was recently refurbished and is finished to a very high standard.

As soon as you walk into the room, there is a sliding door wardrobe to your left, with a full size mirror. Inside, the wardrobe is lit, which makes finding your clothes a doddle. There is a suitcase stand and ironing implements. I didn't use these but it was nice to know it was an immediate option. Next to the wardrobe there is a vanity cabinet with another mirror, a drawer and a double cupboard at the bottom. Inside the cupboard is an easy to use safe.

There is also a full-sized desk with comfy chair, and yet another mirror. No shortage of mirrors in this room :-) In the drawers there was a Tresemme professional hairdryer and a tea and coffee service tray. This contained the usual Kenco coffee (including de-caf), tea bags, and hot chocolate, plus a range of sugars and sweeteners. There was also two packs of Walkers Shortbread which were immediately scoffed. This tray was replenished every day. Above the table is a wall-mounted Phillips tv, with a full range of tv channels. Good quality picture and sound.
Next to the table was two small armchairs, which were very comfy and adorned with nice cushions. Lots of attention to detail in this room.

The bed was so comfortable. Huge fluffy pillows and a semi-firm mattress. I slept like the dead. They also provided fluffy towels, slippers, and a bathrobe. All amazing! Next to the bed was two tables with lamps. The hotel also provided earplugs to block out city sounds but these weren't needed and offered an early morning wake-up call.

The bathroom was lovely! Heated towel rails and a nice new suite. The bath area was fantastic with a 3 in 1 set up. A monsoon shower, handheld shower and a nice deep bath - big enough for two. The complimentary toiletries were excellent too. I will say, however, that there was a smell of damp when I initially opened the door but that is down to a lack of ventilation. There was no mould. I aired it for a while and it was fine. I think the hotel should provided a bath mat, as the floor got a bit slippy.

I decided to complement my trip with breakfast. That was the only disappointing part. The price was astronomical - £10 a day! There was plenty to pick from - a full continental selection and cooked items. I must say that the scrambled eggs really let it down. They were watery and lacked seasoning. I was also disappointed to receive an English breakfast in a Scottish hotel. There was no lorne sausage or potato scones :-( I definitely wouldn't pay for breakfast next time.

What else can I say? The free Wi-fi was a good perk and I made use of the luggage room on arrival and will ask to use it upon check-out before heading to Dyce airport. The staff were extremely friendly and willing to help. All in all, I would return to this hotel and the poor breakfast did not detract from my stay too much.

Well done Thistle!

Room Tip: I was in Room 232. Miles away from everyone else.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
JaneBourque, General Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear HungryHistorian,

What can I say other than a massive thank you for your very kind review of your recent stay. I'm glad as a Historian you chose to stay in Aberdeen first and oldest hotel. We are 121 years old this year

Despite being the oldest I'm glad you enjoyed our modern perks with our large screen TV's and superfast broadband, which is currently the fastest in the city and soon to get faster, 5 times faster.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your breakfast, we do offer breakfast for £10 which is significantly cheaper than most 4 star hotels in the city. Please do not hesitate to get in touch before your next visit where I will be happy to offer you a complimentary breakfast to hopefully restore your faith.

Altea
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed last weekend and on arrival we were upgraded to a suite which was clean, tidy and very comfortable.
Staff at Breakfast were efficient and the omelette ordered was delivered in short order and was cooked to perfection.
Good location central for city centre,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Killie 52,

Thank you for your review, we are really pleased you enjoyed you appreciated your complimentary upgrade. At The Caledonian we dont like to see our best rooms wasted and therefor we try to upgrade our guests regularly to make theri stay as pleasurable as possible.

We hope to have you back again with us next time you are visiting your daughter.

falkirk
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for two night at New Year. when we booked in the receptionist upgraded our room. Our room was clean, tidy and loved the warm housecoat. Breakfast was lovely both mornings. Staff were all professional and lovely. We would stay here again and will be recommending to family and friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear smokieFalkirk,

Thank you for your recent review regarding you stay.

We are glad that you appreciated the gesture of the complimentary upgrade amd the bathrobes that came with it, something we look to do as often as possible when we are able.

We hope to welcome you back to The Caledonian again soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Little disappointed with our visit. Though the girl who served us was initially attentive (and pleasant), we felt abandoned mid way through. Nice idea to be able to choose which sandwich you'd like but this only works if there are more than 2 of you or the choice is then limited. The said sandwiches were very over handled, arriving squashed and full of butter and not much flavour to them. Meat paste/mousse on a cracker had been piped on way too far in advance. I think the scone was home made but had been overheated and so was hard by the time we'd had our savouries. Unfortunately, and this is a major factor for me, there were no home bakes as far as we could tell. We were tucked away from the bar with only Radio 2 for company and it was on the cold side - felt we shouldn't have had to ask for the door to be closed when it was December 30th and chucking it down outside!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
JaneBourque, Operations Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Curlypow44,

I am very sorry to read of your recent experience.

Our afternoon teas are something we pride ourselves on and it seems on this occassion we got some aspects of it wrong.

We have a new afternoon tea launching at the end of this month and would be delighted for you and your friend to be one of the first to try it with our compliments.

If you can e-mail me on colin.gunn@thistle.co.uk I will arrange a complimentary visit for you both.

Colin Gunn