“Lovely hotel”

Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We travelled to Aberdeen with friends for a birthday treat and were extremely happy with both our rooms overlooking union terrace. We arrived earlier than planned and the reception staff were so helpful, giving us coffee in the lounge while our rooms were prepared. The beds I agree were so comfortable and our Sunday breakfast was delicious and plentiful. My friends birthday was the Saturday evening, so we chose to eat in their restaurant and were not disappointed. An absolutely wonderful meal was had by us all and I can sincerely recommend this hotel for its hospitality and great food. Central location also, so cannot fault it at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Colin G, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Allburn,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review on your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that you were so well looked after and that the Birthday treat was an enjoyable one and that the team and the food made it one to remember for you and your friends.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel,this was my first stay with thistle hotels and i was not disappointed by the staff or the hotel
,I was made to feel very welcome by the staff and they were very helpful ,i found the hotel very clean and the restaurant food excellent and the room to be of a good size and had everything I needed ,comfy bed ,bath/shower ,tv and tea and coffee .
the hotel is also in a great central location ,perfect for shopping in aberdeen

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank david d
Colin G, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear david d,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay.

It sounds from your review that we ticked all the boxes during your stay and I am particularly pleased you noted our friendly staff.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is not the first and will certainly not be the last time we've stayed at The Caledonian.
All of the staff are first class and go the extra mile to help whenever called upon.
It's a perfect base if exploring the city centre and if you're shopping it's ideal for quick bag drops.
We always have our children and buggy with us and whilst it's not the most perfectly designed hotel for buggies, due to age of the building and it's stairs (there is a lift though!), it's never bothered us.
If you're staying in Aberdeen centre do yourself a favour and book The Caledonian.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Union Gardens.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear MerleCollins,

Thanks so much for your recent review. It made for an amazing read and I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to us.

It is great to hear that the staff will go above and beyond for our guests as this is what we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to having you and all your shopping bags back with us again soon ;-)

Thanks again and Kind Regards

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Great service, Excellent rooms and superb location. Will be back again soon - hopefully with a view over union terrace this time and we will be upgrading to the exec rooms. Can't fault the hotel at all, bed was so comfy we didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: April 2014
Colin G, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear M8800,

Thank you so much for your excellent review.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. I am glad to hear you will be back and treating yourself to an executive room as I certainly think that waking up Union Terrace Gardens is the way to do it!

We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The hotel is in a great location, just a 5 minute walk from the train station. There's a lift to the higher floors but I really enjoyed walking up the stairs as the staircase is fabulous and oozes character. My room was a tad on the small size but the bed was comfortable, the shower room was spotless and I had a great night sleep on both nights. There's an ironing board and iron within the wardrobe which is certainly handy although it did cut down on the space available to hang clothes (more likely to be an issue for those staying longer). We ate in the hotel restaurant on both evenings and certainly had no complaints about the food - it was very good and nicely presented. Breakfast was also good with choice of continental buffet, porridge or cooked breakfast to order. My only issue was the lack of staff on reception. There was often a queue of people waiting as the poor member of staff had to check people in (which seemed to take some time), deal with the phone and liaise with taxi drivers arriving to pick people up. Maybe we just stayed at a time when there was a shortage of staff but I would have thought there must be a quicker way to check-in. That aside, I'd certainly stay in the hotel again. Lovely rooms, good food and great location.

Dear edels,

Thanks for your recent review, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Our location is indeed second to none if you wish to stay in the city centre and I am pleased to hear you took time to admire the staircase and other beutiful features of our Grade 2 listed property.

I am sorry you had a slight delay checking in, we endeavour to check all our guests in with minimal fuss and I apologise that on this occassion it took slightly longer, I can only assume this was down to timing of other guests checking in.

I hope that you will return to us in the future and if so we do offer a hassle free online check in and express check out facility to make things even easier for our guests.

Thanks again and Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Room was a bit small but perfectly adequate for 1 person for a 1 night stay. Check-in was a doddle and receptionist was excellent and efficient. Bathroom was good although, as one other reviwer commented, some floor tiles were cracked. Limited menu in restaurant but my choice was excellent; not too long to wait and piping hot, served by a very friendly waitress who really cared that everthing was to my satisfaction. Wake-up call was on time, plenty of choice for breakfast and the cab was on time too. All in all a very good and reasonably priced experience. Would I stay again? Yes, I most definitely would.

Dear Winsson,

Thank you for your recent review and what a great review it was.

Im glad like other recent reviewers you specially noted our food and the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I recently stayed here on business and I have to say the staff and the food was great. It is well located near Aberdeen Station and ideal for what I needed.
My only criticism is that the carpet in my room was very worn, stained and patchy and in need of renewal. I did enjoy my stay but I would urge consideration of renewing the room carpets as my colleague also agreed with the carpet in her room. It will make such a noticeable difference.
It is a great hotel and clearly busy which is a good sign and a top notch breakfast too!

Room Tip: I slept like a baby so I don't think noise is an issue.

Dear Nickerty,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your food and all our staff were great also.

Thank you also for pointing out how we can improve our offering, this has been taken up as a point of focus.