“Very good value”

Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night good location very nice room would have liked a bath tho had walk in shower wasn't very powerful breakfast was not what I expected found it very soggy as under shaving dishes for the amount of people that was in for breakfast they should have did plated service

• Stayed August 2014
Colin G, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Hazel B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read you were happy with the value for money you received. We do have a number of varying room types and styles so please feel free to request a room with a bath while making your next reservation and we will endeavour to ensure you are allocated one.

With regards to our breakfast, as I am sure you have read it is one of hte most celebrated aspects of our hotel. We offer a full cooked and continental buffet as well as a plated offering for those who may have a little extra time in the mornings. Please feel free to order from the plated menu on the tables in the morning the next time you stay if you buffet is not to your preference.

Thank you once again.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

The hotel is a doddle to find being located beside the gardens and the high street. The room was a little smaller than expected but had all facilities to meet every requirement imaginable. The staff were very friendly knowledgeable and most importantly helpful with any inquiry. Be prepared for the selection of options at breakfast, I will state it is undoubtedly on of the best hotel breakfast's I have ever had. Very impressed and plan to stay again in the near future.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear greeneyes30,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Thank you even more for giving us 5 out of 5 for all areas!

The staff were delighted to hear that you found them all helpful and friendly and the chef in particular was delighted with your feedback regarding his breakfast. Every possible option for making a full English or full Scottish with even more options thrown in for good measure, we certainly keep him busy in the mornings ;-)

We hope you choose to stay with us again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel, excellent location only 10minutes walk from bus and train stations. Shopping and restaurants all nearby. We spent a lovely night here when we were in Aberdeen visiting family. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear rmhdickson,

Thank you for your excellent 5 star review on your recent stay. 5 out of 5 on all aspects if fantastic and I am glad all our hard work here pays off.

We are all very greatful of your glowing response on TripAdvisor and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

At last a hotel in Aberdeen that is high standard and good value. I was upgraded to the Burns Suite on an overnight business stay. Last stayed her in 2007 before the refurb. Everything on my visit this time was perfect, no complaints and I cannot remember the last time I said that about any hotel apart from the Sheraton in Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear canoesrus,

Thank you for taking the time to review us 5 out of 5 basd on your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read your comments, they were fantastic! It was great to hear you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade, something we try to do on a regular basis when availability allows.

'No complaints' we can definitely not argue with that.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here recently while visiting Aberdeen
Them staff were very nice especially Anna who works in the restaurant
She was very efficient and always remembered our special orders
Luckily the weather was cool as the room was not air conditioned
The location of the hotel was fine.shopping and restaurants were within walking distance
The standard room however was like a monks cell very small and in need of renovation.
There wasn't much space to put suitcases and the bathroom floor sagged when you walked on it

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade from a standard room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Colin G, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear bradyboy2,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

It was great to hear that Anna looked after you thoughout your stay, she is a great team member and the guests love her just as much as we do.

I am sorry you were not completely satisfied with your room. Unfortunately as you were aware after speaking with my General Manager we were on this occassion unable to upgrade you to a deluxe room rather than the standard room you had booked.

We hope that you choose to stay with us again, if you book direct via thistle.com you have the chance to upgrade your room for a small fee at the point of booking if we have the availability.

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

When we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room. This was spotless. We stayed for one night & with breakfast only cost £75 for my husband & I. I chose this hotel as we have stayed at a Thistle hotel before & the central location appealed, as did the 12 noon check out time the next day. Breakfast was great & will go back.

Dear Jill M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read you and your husband enjoyed your stay and felt it worthy of 5 out of 5 for all aspects of your stay.

I remember you checking in and I am glad we helped contibute to an enjoyable weekend of visiting in Aberdeen.

We hope to welcome you back again the next time you are visiting.

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed here for a week - still recovering from shock at having to pay £220 per night for a mediocre service! Not all the staff were deficient, but some definitely needed a course in how to listen to the guests. When I arrived at 10 pm the first night, I thought I'd have a drink in the bar before going to bed. I ordered a Guinness (a beer which normally takes a little time to settle). The barman filled it to half full then asked me to take a seat and he would bring it to my table. So I sat and waited...and waited.....and waited. Then after 20 minutes I stormed over to the bar to see no more beer in my glass! He'd forgotten me - and there were not many people in the bar. OK, he apologised - but the point is, it turned out to be the rule in the hotel, rather than the exception. For instance, on the second night, I very clearly ordered an early call at 0630 and a taxi for 0715. Just by chance, I was awake before the appointed time, but my early call never came. At breakfast, I asked what happened to the call, but was met with no apology - when it turned out that the cloth-ears on reception had ordered my wake-up call and taxi for the same time!
And during the week I was locked out of my room on the first floor no less than 3 times! This was due to a problem with either the lock, the card or the electronics. Every time I asked for the card to be re-flashed with the code, the receptionist tried to give me a lesson about not having the key card near a mobile phone or other electronic (credit) cards. Each time I had to tell her that I am a seasoned traveller and know all about this. They wouldn't accept that the problem might lay elsewhere, e.g. the hotel hardware. Still, why should they bother - I was only a paying guest!
I found the room acceptable, but nothing special for the price, no facilities, breakfast wasn't bad - but most of the staff (who collectively seemed to represent every corner of the world) were stunningly in a different world. Never again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Seenoff
Dear seenoff,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I was sorry to read that certain aspect of your stay were not to your liking. As you can see from other reviews we do strive to ensure our customers have the best possible stay and our reviews show a consistenly friendly and efficient service is what you will normally receive from our staff. I apologise if you believe we failed in certain aspects on your visit.

As said our staff are very rarely criticised however I am aware that as human nature dictates we will on occassion make genuine mistakes. I do however take exception to some of your derogatory comments regarding the diversity of our workplace and the use of insults such as 'cloth-ears'. As I would prefer to not address such comments on TripAdvisor please feel free to contact me on colin.gunn@thistle.co.uk if you wish to discuss the staff further.