“Ups & Downs”

Ranked #50 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Ups & Downs”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel has good points and bad. Check in was quick and easy with a friendly receptionist. Rooms are basic but made it my own in the week I was there. Reception booked my taxi every morning and made my journeys easy. Breakfast has a wide range and I tried something different every morning. The breakfast girl remembered my room number by half way through the week and was really friendly which is nice to see while staying in a busy hotel where you normally get a robotic speech every day, had good conversation each morning as she asked how my dinner was the evening before and if I had a busy day planned. The down points would be the gentleman that served me my coffee every morning without fail would spill it on the table and was dressed rather scruffy with his uniform un tucked and large boots on. While the girl that greeted me in the morning couldn't be happier when I came down at night time I was greeted by another young girl with glasses who seemed like she wanted to be somewhere else! The food made up for the waiting staff short falls as I saw everyone else getting offered bread apart from myself. waited a good 15minuets before being asked what I wanted to drink. I believe the reception manager helped me through my check out again asking how my stay was and what my day had in store. It was great to have a normal conversation with staff as when I stay elsewhere they all have the same speech.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HolidayLover199
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear HolidayLover199

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, we go out of our way to ensure every guest is made to feel at home as much as possible. It is always nice to hear comments that show this is being carried out.

I will pass on your comments to our staff members and also review the issues you had in our restaurant.

We hope you see you again in the future!

Ross Andrews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I cannot complain about the general fabric of this hotel, the unhelpful receptionist was another matter, I booked an over night stay in this hotel direct with holiday inn, my wife and I went to breakfast after a pleasant enough sleep, we were greeted at the restaurant by a sullen looking member of staff, she took our names and room number and told us to help ourselves to breakfast. As we were about to make toast the young lady who took our name and room number came over to my wife and I and informed us that we had not paid for breakfast and we had to report to the receptionist. The receptionist showed no compassion or a willingness to help what so ever, it was like a scene from little Britain, the computer says no. The receptionist was adamant that I had not booked or paid for breakfast even although the price I paid for my room was more than the basic rate with breakfast, she quite vocally informed me it was me who had made a mistake and I should have checked before hand, this receptionist who is the face of holiday inn did nothing to help the situation she seemed more intent making a paying customer feel uncomfortable. Luckily I had a copy of my booking conformation in my room which did confirm the computer and the less than helpful receptionist were wrong, unfortunately I did not enjoy or eat a breakfast as the whole incident had left a bitter taste in my mouth. After this disgraceful event one of my colleagues who witnessed the whole incident said he found it hard to believe that a paying customer should be treated or spoken to in such a manner

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Pete8564

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy it and would like to apologise for the issue you experienced.

We take negative comments very seriously and will look to retrain our staff on the procedure of how to discover what is included in the rate and also how to put this across to our guests.

Reservations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed in this Holiday Inn for 2 nights in December, and have to say that it really was a mostly pleasant stay.

We had 1 fairly significant complaint, but this was dealt with personally and professionally by the General Manager, so there is really nothing more that I need to say in this regard.

We dined in the bar and in the restaurant, and found the food to be of very good quality, and the prices were reasonable for Aberdeen. The staff in both locations were very good, but in particular the bar staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

The hotel car park is large and uncovered, but also free, so this is a definite positive – it is around a 10-minute drive into the city centre, directly along the main road outside the hotel.

The rooms are OK, but a little on the small side, although perfectly fit for purpose.

We will return to this hotel next month, and I have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Psalms46

I am sorry to hear that you had an issue during your stay but I am pleased to see it was resolved in the right manner.

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back next month.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Spent 4 nights over Christmas and New Year. Enjoyed great service, superb breakfast buffet and courteous staff. We felt very much at home - great place for families with young children too. Location was perfect given it was our first time driving around Aberdeen!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Psalms46

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We aim to provide the best service in every area of the hotel so it is pleasing to hear that you experienced this throughout your stay.

I hope to see you back in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

After attending a dinner dance I was looking forward to a good nights sleep .........wrong!
The mattress in room 128 is terrible
My partner being heavier than me rolls right into the middle and I am then roll on top of him after
Both of us are scared to move
If you are offered room 128 decline it immediately !
It's like a game of piley on

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Lilymaymunro
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Lilymaymunro,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you were not fully satisfied with the sleeping accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ellon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Had a very quick lunch here yesterday. Very enjoyable. My colleague had a sandwich and potato leek soup; I had the chicken ceasar salad (with no anchovies). The service was excellent (having limited time) although the restaurant was probably just under half full and getting busy. To my surprise (excellent) no anchovies!...this in itself is what I ordered, but when such is requested, chefs always seem to make a determined effort to give them nevertheless. The service was first class and attentive without being overpowering. The food for both of us was superb. Would strongly recommend; to be borne in mind that if large conference are on this place may be bursting at the seams.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Rennie C

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback on your lunch with us, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed it.

We do try to cater to the specific needs of each customer and take great pride in providing excellent customer service. We also work hard to ensure a high level of service in the restaurant.

I hope to see you back in the restaurant soon!

Kind regards
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Room is consistent with business travel rooms of similar price. Courteous counter. Breakfast buffet well staffed with pleasant people and good range of offerings (includes haggis and other local specialties). Location is a small ways from town.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear facorsig

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing guests with excellent customer service so it is nice to hear you experienced this.

If you are staying with us in the future and would like to travel into town, please do not hesitate to speak to a reception team member who will be happy to give you advice on the best way to do so.

Kind regards