“Becoming tired and in need of a refurb”

Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre
Ranked #53 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
“Becoming tired and in need of a refurb”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It didn't help that I ended up in a room on the ground floor with a view overlooking the underground car park. That aside, the wallpaper was peeling and the floor stained. It has really seen better days. I've previously given the hotel 4 stars for the convenience of the AECC, but when you don't need to be near it, my advice is to find somewhere else.
On the plus side, the staff are always really friendly and helpful. The evening restaurant meal was quite OK, and there was an excellent Scottish breakfast.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor at the back to get a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear aquaactionimage,

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am sorry to hear that your room was not up to scratch or as good as you have previously felt. We are due to have a refurbishment of our bedrooms in the near future. I was pleased to see that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and that you also enjoyed your Scottish breakfast in the morning. I hope the team and I will be welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Nikki Haddow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

As i arrived at this holiday inn, I was dreading the stay. From outside it does look really dirty. The windows are all black around the edges. When entering the building I got a burst of release because it was clean and looked well maintained. The room was very clean. In need of a face lift. In our room suite 508 the bed had a dent in the middle about time for a new mattress.
Over all we got the room cheap then got an upgrade on arrival due to it being so quite. So cant complain!

• Stayed August 2014
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Leah G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am pleased to hear that you were pleasantly surprised with your stay. We do have quiet an old building but as you say inside it’s like a totally different. I am pleased that the reception team looked after you and offered you the upgrade to a suite. I hope the team and I will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

scottish borders
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We continue to enjoy stays at this hotel which offers excellent value. Also, the proximity of the hotel to Aberdeen sea front is a big bonus. Breakfast was very good and the staff very attentive. The hot food dishes were replenished frequently and the other food trays/baskets were regularly freshened up. The bedroom was well appointed although the two disappointments relate to the very soft mattress and the lack of aircon (a cooling blower is however provided in the room). Reception staff were very helpful in finding a quiet room for us (away from the road noise) and were as confused as we were that our room key cards repeatedly refused to open our bedroom door! On two occasions, management staff brought new key cards to the room and still had problems getting them to work! Despite these little niggles, we hope to return!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear romagScottishBorders,

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy staying in our hotel. We often get nice comments regarding our breakfast and I will be sure to pass yours onto our breakfast staff and chef’s. I am sorry to hear that you had problems with your room key, my maintenance manager is looking into this to see if it was a problem with the lock opposed to a problem with the key. I hope the team and I will be welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

NIkki Haddow
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have stayed over here a few times recently and have to say it was much better than i thought it was going to be as Aberdeen hotels are generally rubbish. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean and the bar area is stocked with decent food and a good drink selection. The breakfast buffet has excellent choice and is guaranteed to send you on your way satisfied.

I also thought that i saw Will-i-am at reception but it wasn't him. Just a very good lookalikey.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear barrymac82,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am delighted to hear that we have exceeded your expectations and that you have enjoyed your stays here with us. I am pleased that you find the food and drink selection in the bar to your liking. We always get good comments on our breakfast selection, your certainly won’t go away hungry! Funny that you should mention the Will-i-Am look alike there were a few comments from other guests and staff who also thought he was staying with us. I hope we will be welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed her on the final night of a short visit in Aberdeenshire and this was far superior.Clean ,bright spacious reception area and lounge. Room spacious and clean with a most comfortable bed. Staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful especially in the bar. Pleasantly surprised by the range of the food menus and the quality and service.
Ideal hotel for leisure and business in Aberdeen.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear budgieScotland,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I was delighted to hear you’re a pleasant stay. I will be sure to pass onto my team your kind comments regarding them being friendly and helpful. I hope we will be welcoming you back to the hotel on you next visit to Aberdeen.

Regards
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Walked into hotel and said Wow looks lovely when you first step in. Receptionist wasn't very smiley when we first started dealing with her. Room wasn't exactly big but it was okay for 1 night. Single bed was shoved right against wall under the window so if you wanted to look out the window has to reach over bed. It was okay for a small child in the bed but it would be a bit cramped for an older child or teenager. Only bad thing was the single bed was too close to beside cabinet which wasn't good for a small child we had to put a pillow onto of cabinet. Also room window was facing side of building and you could still hear the road noise especially the boy racers going past every 15 minutes!! Room was very clean and the bathroom. Bathroom was a decent size and the shower was great a power shower and it was a screen instead of a shower curtain that wrapped round your legs every five minutes. Barman didn't have a sense of humour and it seemed everything was a drag for him as he wasn't very quick at things. We decided to eat in the bar area as a bit more relaxed for a son. I was put off my meal by one of the workmen staying in hotel or the neighbouring Holiday Inn Express picking his nose not very nice when people are eating beside you. I ended up swapping seats with my husband cause he kept staring at us also and it really was beginning to annoy me. They had a vending machine round the corner from the reception area with drinks and snacks I would suggest they have one on every 2nd floor as I was really thirsty late on and didn't want to go all the way downstairs as I was on the 3rd floor. Breakfast was good but my tea that came in teapot was a bit cold so had to ask for another tea, also you only get coffee by the cup not a pot of your own but you have to ask for another cup of coffee as you don't get offered more than one! Also in the room the tea, coffee and milk were a bit stingy not enough for more than 2 cups of tea/coffee, also you only got 1 pack of 2 biscuits and the room is for 3 people. Plenty of parking and clean rooms. Only other thing is the ground floor corridor leading to the lifts smelt of smoke (cigarette smoke).

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor as everyone walks past the rooms and it would be very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear ScotlandNicky7

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn AECC. I am pleased that you found the room clean and comfortable. I have taken on board your other comments regarding the bedroom layout (including tea and coffee making facilities), vending machine and staff. I have passed all these comments on to the relevant heads of department who are discussing them with their teams to see what they can do to improve. I hope that myself and the team will be welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Lomdon
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, near clean and tidy rooms. Staff helpful, restaurant is ok. Good location for this side of town and the exhibition centre but £15 either way by cab from the city centre. I stay a lot with business and it's always the same acceptable standard.

Stayed July 2014
Ross A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear WingnutRacing,

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn AECC. I was delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all the staff. I hope we will be welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Regards