“Not the nicest Holiday Inn rooms but a great breakfast.”

Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre
Ranked #56 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I had a two day stay as I was working in the area. Check in and out was fast and easy, the receptionist was friendly and had a great sense of humour. He was so helpful, not only giving us directions to the various places we were to be working but even getting us a map and marking them up for us.

We had smoking rooms on the top floor, parts of which smelt really damp but luckily, not near our section. Compared to other Holiday Inns I've stayed at, my room wasn't nearly as nice as the others. It was clean but very tired, it really could have done with a refurb. The bed, however, was very comfortable and the shower was brilliant.

The breakfast at this hotel is amazing, there was so much choice of both hot and cold items, even haggis, although my work colleague who is scottish was heard muttering about haggis being served for breakfast! What the rooms lacked was certainly made up for by the breakfast.

One gripe, as in all Holiday Inns, the price of wifi access is ridiculously expensive.

The staff here really were great, without fail all gave good service in a friendly manner.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 28 January 2011

I would like to thank you on behalf of the Holiday Inn Aberdeen for taking the time to leave feedback on our hotel.

I am delighted our staff made you feel welcome throughout your stay, and that you found our breakfast to be ‘amazing’. I will make sure to communicate your comments on to the relevant Head of Department.

The hotel accepts that some of our guest bedrooms appear ‘tired’ and we are currently working on a program to freshen up the appearance of these rooms.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Aberdeen.

Reviewed 13 July 2010

Stayed here one night, chose this hotel because its location was convenient to where we had to go. Price was OK at 49 GBP but room smallish and rather basic. No aircon and the windows only open a bit. Bathroom has been renovated in the past but sadly the jointwork of those days is giving up and gaping crack are evident all over. Didn't use the breakfast which seemed overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 28 January 2011

The hotel accepts that some areas of the hotel appear tired and we are currently working on a program to freshen up the appearance of these areas.

With regard to the window only opening ‘a bit’ this is due to a safety catch that is installed to all windows in the guest bedrooms to ensure we meet with health and safety regulations.

Reviewed 8 July 2010

After a long journey and not pre-booking the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Lovely room, very clean, bed was very comfortable. Dinner was excellent and well presented, the menu was varied and the wine list was good. Breakfast was a pleasure. One thing spoilt my breakfast - a senior member of staff, with his hands in his pockets yelling across the dining room and then beratting a member of staff because the toaster was not working properly! Not the thing to be doing at any time let alone first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 28 January 2011

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I will communicate your feedback to all departments and I know they will be appreciative of the good feedback received.

I can only apologise for the way our manager was dealing with the broken toaster and I can assure you we will bring up this point with the person responsible.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

This is a modern hotel in an uninspiring location next to the Exhibition Centre. The hotel is primarily used by men involved in the oil industry. Not many women stay there. This place is expensive, no doubt this is driven by the fact that the hotel has 'captive customers' from the oil business. My room hadn't been cleaned thoroughly and still contained detritus from a previous occupant but this was a minor point. The bed was clean and fresh. The bar was obviously busy and used by the oil men but don't be put off by them. They are quiet professionals not football yobs and so the bar was a pleasant enough place to be. And so was the restaurant until it came to actually eating there!
I ordered the deep fried beer battered fish and chips. Now I overheard another diner telling the little waiter bloke that the fish was too greasy. Fussy I thought. The waiter almost screamed at him, "Isssa deeep fried!!" That quietened the customer down a bit I can tell you.
Anyway then my fish and chips arrived......No wonder the price of oil is on the rise. As the poor dead creature was deposited befor me the grease in which it had been dipped was dripping onto the plate and solidifying. There was a lot there to drip. My knife and fork approached and it excreted more grease almost in an act of surrender. The fish had been placed on the chips and they had accordingly drowned in fat too. So had the peas. It was inedible. Whoever had cooked it had certainly completed an apprenticeship, probably as an oil sump filler in a shipyard, certainly not as a chef.
I fled and upon leaving mentioned to the lady on the restaurant desk that the fish was awfully greasy. "Issa deeep fried." she replied. Oh and the music played during the meal was the sort of stuff that the BBC had on stand-by to broadcast while people were awaiting a slow death by radiation poisoning follwing a nuclear strike.
So To Breakfast. They charge over eighteen pounds for this. It's a 'buffet' breakfast which means you serve yourself and queue at the toast machine. Food quality less than average, obviously over greased, and certainly not worth the money.
I got out as soon as I could. EXPENSIVE too!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 28 January 2011

We take all feedback very seriously and constructively and use this feedback to improve our standards and services.

I sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay with us and I can inform you I have raised the issues with the relevant departmental managers. This will enable them to work on improving the standards throughout the hotel.

Reviewed 11 March 2010

4 people on check in, only myself waiting, yet I had to wait until they discussed who would serve me. Arrived at my room to find someone had left me a little present in the toilet. Told DM who feigned concern but not surprise. TV didn't work 1st night, no sound 2nd night. woke up in the morning with no power in the room. I was offered a room transfer at 7am as the DM didn't know where the trip switch was when I returned later that day and asked if it had been repaired I was met with a wall of silence then a chorus of its not my responsibility. None of the room treats were replenished after the 1st day. On a positive note the Bar staff were excellent as was the Night Manager (Ryan) A case of the wrong people in the wrong positions. The rooms are spacious and apart from the obvious rooms are clean. Location wise not bad even distance between Airport and City Centre. As a regular visitor to the Holiday Inn chain(Platinum Priority) this has been the 1st time I have felt the need to complain, this was a very poor show,

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 28 January 2011

On the positive I am glad we were able to show through Ryan and the bar staff the level of service we strive to achieve on a constant basis. I will pass on your feedback to them direct.

Reviewed 10 March 2010

Hotels in Aberdeen are, in my experience, expensive and not very welcoming. We needed to stay next to the Exhibition Centre so chose this one for convenience. I could not have faulted it except for the rather high rate £99 paid. The room was well decorated, the bed a good size and comfortable with a choice of pillows. The shower was strong and hot with plenty of towels. We ate there since there is nowhere about. The food was surprisingly good considering the lack of competition and the mostly male customers who all seemed to be on business. The drinks were not cheap but no worse than other chain hotels. Breakfast was included in the rate and was an extensive and well topped up buffet. Not a destination hotel but one I would go back to if there on business in future. And right next to the AECC.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I found the hotel to be poor value for money at £130 a night. There is no way this hotel is worthy of this price bracket. The room was small and the bathroom needed some repair to the fabrics. The food I had in the evening was poor.
But there were some good points. The staff try hard are are very helpful and the breakfast was nice. I would not stay at this hotel again, but if you are at a Conference at the Centre next door and your company was paying your bill then it's fine.
Most Holiday Inns I stay at are normally worthy of a 3 or 4 star rating. This is the first I can only give a 2 mark for. If I find another like this one then it's time to rip up my Priority membership card.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo