“not sure what to call it.....mediocre”

Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen
Ranked #44 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 18 December 2011

was here for a function and have to say that they must have the most expensive pint in aberdeen. £3.80 for a pint of tennants, and just to rub it in its cheaper in the other hotel bar. Bizzarely 40p cheaper....The food was dreadful. The meats were fine but the stuff that came with it was soggy soft and not very tasty. I wouldnt recommend this for anyones party. There has to be better alternatives. The only good point about the whole thing was the service. It was top notch, so well done to the team.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Daniel L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2011

Dear popstar1701,

Thank you for your comments in regard to your Christmas Party in December 2011. As General Manager of the Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, feedback is important and valuable to us.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the meat served; all our meat is from a local Aberdeen butcher with great quality product. Also thank you for the great comments about the staff. I am glad to see you valued them as much as we value them as well.

I wanted to send you my personal apologies for the problems you encountered with the pricing of a pint of Tennents, I will investigate how this has happened, but our Tennents is £3.40 a pint, which is line with other hotels in the area, and our Premium Lager is £3.80, which I can only surmise, that some confusion has taken place in what you were served that evening.

The necessary corrective action will be taken to ensure this does not happen again, preventing others experiencing the disappointment that you received, which is far below our normal standard.

I would like to have the opportunity of redeeming your faith in our hotel by offering you a goodwill gesture of: A preferential rate for a future party, subject to availability.

If you will give us this opportunity, I will personally oversee the booking and please contact me directly at the hotel.

I would like to thank you for your constructive comments. I sincerely hope my apologies will be accepted and that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Copthorne Hotel, Aberdeen in the not too distant future.

Yours Sincerely,

Daniel Lawrence, General Manager

Reviewed 14 December 2011

The staff were very nice. Overall pleasant enough stay. A few gripes as follows:
- the chicken Caesar salad I ordered for room service is without doubt the worst I've ever seen
- very pricey for what it was. I paid average of £127 per night!
- unless you're smaller than 5 foot the showers too small
- floors are bit rickety and not great sound proofing. Was woken by people walking in hallway.
Overall ok. Was there on business. Booked it for location. And staff friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The Copthorne is not a 4 star hotel it is a 3 star hotel. The good points are its location, location and you've guessed it location. The room was perfectly acceptable but dated, Adam probably had the same make of TV. The shower was great as long as you are shorter than 5ft 3in. The breakfast was well above average.
There is car parking but get there early as it is very limited, you can use the multi storey car park across from the hotel which does have cctv.
Would we stay again - yes as long as it was a reasonable rate.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Jack M,

Thank you for your feedback. The showers and TV's as mentioned are all part of a on going refurbishment plan, we have a up to day TV system, playing up to date movies and new releases, however the actual units are being changed over in 2012. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, it is very good access for the city centre.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

Stayed one night. Got a great feel when we arrived (apart from many cigarette ends around the entrance), nice red carpet on steps leading to entrance. Nice and bright on entering the hotel. Check in staff were very nice and welcoming. The room itself was very large with two big beds. and plenty room. Bathroom was good size also but as stated before a bit dated. When having a shower it wasnt very big, I am not small but I am not huge and felt quite crammed, height of shower head quite low. I you were a 6 feet tall you would have to bend down. Being picky, the wooden panels of the bathroom could do with a decent clean in the corners, residue of talc etc in the corners of the panels. The hotel is well situated for Union Street but again as stated earlier, the street lighting at night is not great and would not walk there on my own late at night. Did notice MANY cigarette ends around the entrance which did not look very good or welcoming. Yes, smokers will go outside but unfortunately there is not a bin or anything for smokers to put their cigarette ends into, hence the mess around the entrance which is a shame. On our return from an evening out we asked for a sandwich which I must say was very very nice and very well presented but it did come with a price - £14 for both of us - bit pricey to be honest. Bed was comfy but was wakened with guests from above us who obviously had kids and could hear them shouting and running about. But, must of us have had kids and know what they can be like so it wasnt a big deal. When we did this booking we thought it was for bed and breakfast which would have been a great deal, however we had not read it properly. Cost of the breakfast was £13.95 each which again was pricey, yes it was okay but dont expect big portions, 1 sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 egg, half tomato, mushrooms and beans on a plate not much bigger than a side plate, certainly not the size of a normal dinner plate. If you wished more toast or tea that was not a problem.
Must say a mention to the guy on the desk, he was great, lovely to have a cheery person on the desk - not sure of his name, he a ginger coloured hair.
All in all, the stay was fine for what we were there for but pricey for breakfast and sandwich. The sandwich was classed as room service as it was after midnight but we did not have it delivered to the room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

ev0604,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad that you found the hotel very welcoming.

I apologise for the smokers at the front of the hotel. It is against the law to smoke in the outside foyer area of the hotel, hense no ashtrays, they are around the corner to take people away from the steps. We do try and move people around to the smoking area, but especially in the cold weather, as soon as your back is turned, they go back to the foyer area. We have now put signage up to help with this area.

As for the pricing of a room service sandwich, I will look in to this pricing, however we only charge the price of a normal sandwich plus a tray charge to take it to a room or another area of choice. The breakfast price is based on an average of all the other hotel prices in the area.

Once again I am glad to here that Martyn (Ginger haired / Cheery person) looked after you on check out.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Old out of date rooms, holes in the bed sheets and hair on the bathroom floor, crumbing paint work, 1 star room. Service is poor , full of non uk national waiting staff with a poor command of english. Breakfast all appeared to be deep fried and seating was an issue although it was not that busy. Greal location in central Aberdeen but please train your staff and spend a little on decor, This is NOT a 4 star hotel, its 3 at a push. All electical items in room had PAT testing that was years out of date! and I think the TV was in the Ark?

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Booked in for 4 nights-checked out after 2 - hotel location may be great during bright summer evenings but not so nice in dark winter nights if walking alone. Poor street lighting and have to walk round multi-storey car park to get there - past gentleman's clubs and dark corners. Room was good size, but carpet was threadbare, cobwebs hanging from ceiling and bed canopy, tv was prehistoric early 1980s style-not flatscreen, lighting was very poor and dim, shower was fixed low down on wall so quite akward, mattress was hard, as were pillows and I don't know what they wash their linen in but I scratched for the 2 nights. Breakfast was a slow and drawn out affair both mornings - table service is a refreshing change nowadays however you may have to queue to get a table, then wait 10 minutes for your tea/coffee, then another 10 for your toast, then the waiter comes to take your breakfast order, I noticed some customers getting the wrong breakfasts and getting quite irritated - not good if you have to watch your time. I was very disappointed - and was not asked why I cancelled my last 2 nights - truth is - I just didn't feel comfortable there and it was £8.20 for a glass of wine!

Room Tip: all rooms on 3rd/4th levels looked the same - ask for upgrade if staying
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank asifoundit1
Reviewed 25 November 2011

The staff during my stay were very courteous and efficient starting off from the very moment I checked in until I departed - every single one of them! The hotel itself has its good points and not so good points - the reception ares and dining areas are very attractive however it has to be said that the rooms themselvs are dated and in urgent need of an upgrade, That's not to say they are uncomfortable - far from it - but the decor is past its best , the lighting a bit gloomy and the bathrooms ..well patches of mould on the grout , a very loose shower head , a very small bath (I'm only5'7'' and just fitted in it) and taps with missing identification discs don't exactly point to proactive maintenance. I'm sure the hotel knows that the rooms need upgrading and perhaps the current recession is making them think twice however this indifference surely might affect its star rating in the future. That aside the bed was very comfortable (mind you only two pillows per double bed) and the room very clean. Parking was an interesting experience with precision parking skills necessary to park between the narrow concrete pillared bays in the underground car park. The evening meals were very good and attractively presented and served by very attentive staff and quite reasonably priced. One thing though was the breakfast - if you have to pay for it it's 'only' £ 13.95 - very expensive for what you get : you have a choice between a full english (one sausage ; two bits of bacon ; one small egg ; 5 mushrooms and some beans ..and not very warm) and the usual cereals etc. Don't get me wrong you could probably go up as much as you like but it just seemed very expensive! The Hotel was busy during my stay and is obviously popular and I would and will stay again however I do hope the Copthorne Group are considering upgrading the rooms sometime soon !!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business