“Club Rooms Spacious but forget cooked breakfast”

Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen
Ranked #44 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed in a club room and thought it very spacious. I liked the decor. The rooms are nice and bright.

The hotel has been here a good while but I think the copthorne has done an OK job of keeping it fresh.

Check in staff very friendly and hepful. It's amazing what a nice smile can do. Other Aberdeen hotels might copy that touch! Breakfast staff were average.

Breakfast....Oh Dear! The hot Buffet was poor to say the least. I expect better than dried up fried eggs. There is really no excuse. Bacon and sausages suffed neglect. The best was the scrambled egg...more like egg brick! Dried beyond recognition. Oh you want £14 for that! Got to kidding!!!
On a more positive note the continental breakfast was actually quite good with good choice and very fresh pastries.

• Stayed: March 2012
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen

Reviewed 19 March 2012

On arrival, the hotel looks nice perhaps a little outdated. Check-in staff very welcoming and friendly. Lunch in the bar/bistro very nice. Breakfast in the room lovely and unusual for most hotels, still hot! Parking limited but free. This in Aberdeen is like winning the lottery!!
Will definately use this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sonia M
Daniel L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Sonia M,

Thank you for your great comments about our staff. The reception team work very hard to look after our guests and it is a pleasure to see them being recognised on trip advisor for their very valuable hard work. I will personally thank them and ensure they see your nice comments. The breakfast room is a nice place to have breakfast and we are introducing new breakfast product this week. Looking forward to your feedback on this in future stays.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards,

Daniel Lawrence - General Manager

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Checked in the 29th Feb. Room was very tired looking, carpet was threadbare, furniture was all chipped. The following evening discovered a problem with the hot water tap, duty manager came and had a look. He said I could change rooms that night or maintanice would start at 8am the following morning. I said I would wait. By 7pm following evening i still had the same problem, and reported it 3 times. I was told they would upgrade me, just to give them 5 minutes... 35 minutes later I was in reception asking what was happening. Finally got the room with complementary bottle of wine. The following day I came back to a cleaned room, however they had left the wine bucket, the bottle, the glasses, and a coke can. Going out that evening, I asked the receptionist If I could have 2 clean wine glasses, and if the could take the bucket, can, and bottle away. Back that evening nand nothing had been done. On morning of departure I wrote a letter to the general manger, I've still not heard anything back. Will not stay there again. I'm not sure why they still have their 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Fay K
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed for one night on a business trip and found the Copthorne a bit dated .Staff at reception really nice and helpful but the shower was built for a dwarf ! The pillows left my partner and I with sore necks for the whole of the next day. Don't bring the jag!! The parking would accommodate snow white and her 7 friends and other selfish drivers take up 2 spaces in their huge gas guzzlers.Was quite irritated by the time we left. I did not stay for breakfast but My partner tells me it was good. Don,t think i will be returning to the Copthrone

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I feel compelled to write this feedback regarding your Copthorne Hotel in Aberdeen as I was deeply disappointed in our stay. We checked in around 4pm on Saturday afternoon 10/02 to be told the email confirming our booking had been deleted and after some delay was allotted a room number 304.

On entering the room I simply could not believe that this was a 4 Star Hotel. I will list a few factors I found disappointing:

Room was cold so we turn on the antique heater which had a delightful brown stain down it

Turned on the lights to reveal dark burn marks on the ceiling obviously due to higher voltage bulbs being used

Hung up our clothes in the 80s style louvre doored built in wardrobes

Pushed the very worn out and frankly grubby ONE dressing gown that was depressingly hanging there out of the way.

Settled down in front of the massive CRT TV. And tried to access some hotel information that would not work.

Decided to make a cup of tea and after some plug wiggling got the kettle to work

Entered the bathroom..... The cheapest toilet tissue I have met outside a public convenience
Talcum powder in the corners of the DIY finished bath panels

Tried to ignore the white paint speckled dark wood skirting and trims

Limbo'd under a five foot shower head for a shower

Returned after dinner/lunch as the dinner menu did not start till half six we roughly had a choice of sandwich, burger or fish.

After an hour my husband started to feel sick so he went to bed

Now we had to try and sleep through the constant barkings from the dog.. Yes, I did say dog!! In the next room. This continued till half eleven at night. Even though we complained to reception staff twice we got neither a call back or any kind of update. We simply had to pray that the owners of the dog who had left him in the room while THEY enjoyed a relaxing night out would return soon

I find his deeply disappointing as we travel to Aberdeen once a month to vist family and have been looking for a central hotel we could stay on a regular basis. Unfortunately your four star hotel left us less than impressed and, well quite frankly a bit depressed as we left. I had sent this review to the hotel management who offered me a minimum discount on our return visit. Unfortunately I dont believe we will need this.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ajfkelly
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Attended a function last night and the function suite was run down and everyone squeezed in. There was a disco and I would feel sorry for anyone booking a wedding here as the female DJ looked like she couldn't give two hoots about being there and was absolutely no help with feedback from the microphones when used.....I think this hotel must only make profit from the hugely overpriced drinks from the bar! Will think twice next time!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Pinkwindsor
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel is terribly overpriced for what it is. Wifi costs 5 pound and it locks on the first device, breakfast is pricey (13.99) and the parking space is limited.
The mattresses are very soft, and so are the pillows.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 5ub-Z3r0
Daniel L, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear 5ub-Z3r0,

Thank you for your feedback. As General Manager of the hotel, feedback is vital for us to move forward and develop.

However, on this occasion I feel very disappointed with your posting.

WIFI over priced at £5? Most of our competitors are double that price or hide it in the room rate. Breakfast pricy at £13.99? It is a full Scottish breakfast with a cold buffet of fruits, continental cheeses and meats and cereals, that you may have as much as you like from, and then you can have a plated Full Scottish breakfast, as much tea and toast as you like? And once again, it is in line or lower than our competitors.

Mattresses and pillows are very subjective. If you look at many of our reviews the comments are very favourable regarding the beds at the hotel, most of the rooms had new beds last year. As for pillows, we keep a stock of other types of pillows, that on request we can offer alternatives.

We are disappointed that any guest leaves our hotel not satisfied with the product or the service and would be more than happy to welcome back in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally, when you are coming back to Aberdeen and I am sure I can resolve any of the issues that you might of had with the pricing and beds.

Kind regards,