“Not that great!”

Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
fochabers,moray
“Not that great!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights as a family member had their wedding reception and dance here.Check in was smooth,the girl on reception very pleasant and helpful.The room we had was on the second floor and was very dark and dingy,had to leave the lights on during the day while we were getting ready for wedding.The decor looks like its not been updated since the 70s or 80s.Cheap tired looking furniture.The bathroom was ok,a few toiletries supplied and the shower was really powerful.The toilet didn't flush very well though and the water in the sink/ bath took a while to drain away.The bed was comfy,sheets and towels clean.Small fridge which was handy as the water in tap,even though if it was run for a while,still came out warm,so had to get bottled water.
There were a lot of our family staying over for the wedding and one thing we all commented on was the heat in the rooms.It was warm outside anyway,but it was unbelievable! Just couldn't sleep at all. Wouldve needed a fan at least.Couldnt sleep also for the noise in the early hours of Sunday morning,people knocking on doors,speaking really loud and my husband went out to see what was going on at one point,the bloke in the next room was kicking at their door to be let in.Surely reception must've heard all the noise.
The public areas of the hotel were lovely,and the bar very nicely done too.
The breakfast had plenty choice.Our first morning the cooked breakfast was lovely,but the second morning it was just a plate of grease. The food at the reception meal was really lovely though and all staff very pleasant.
I wouldn't choose to stay here again,even though the staff are nice and it's so handy for shops,bars etc.The parking was a nightmare,it's just a handful of spaces under the hotel,I don't suppose it would've been meant to be a car park,long ago maybe it was for horses.There is a public multi storey right across the road,but its around £14 a day.I think for the price they charge,there are better hotels in Aberdeen.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Hi quick review. Stayed here on Saturday night 20th July. Booked a club room and breakfast. Arrived 5.30 pm. Room tiny obviously set up for single room as 1 glass 1 housecoat etc. called to try and sort and eventually got glasses but no more house coat. Woke up in the middle of the night with unbearable heat. Waited 30 mins at breakfast for someone to take our order. Still waiting. No milk on table or for the cereal. No orange juice. Even after asking. Won't be back. Disappointed!!!

• Stayed July 2013
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Many Thanks for taking the time to place your comments on trip advisor as this is a great media for me and the team to work with as listening to you the guest helps us deliver a ever improving guest experience.
John

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I've been here twice this year - once for a large event, and once as a guest with my family. Similar reviews for both times - the hotel's nice enough, although a little bit tired, but is good value for money in a nice [and safe!] part of Aberdeen. Fairly disappointed in the service - waitresses were friendly but the hotel seemed to be fairly badly organised. Not bad value for money though.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in the winter, our window was broken so didn't close properly and the heater didn't work so it was cold, the steak in the restaurant were all fatty, not what I expected from a 4 star hotel but we did get it cheap

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking advantage of one of our many special offers, the Copthorne in Aberdeen is a very busy hotel and yet from time to time we have some great offers that are ideal if you are coming into the city for the theatre or just catching up with friends.
I would encourage guests that come across a challenge during their stay with us to notify the front desk. Here at the Copthorne Aberdeen we have a dedicated team working on the property to ensure you the guest are always comfortable I would like to thank you again for your comments which I can assure you we review in detail.
G'boro NC
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Several things from the ventilation system to the toilets were in need of repair and hotel understaffed we had to carry our own bags. Excellent waitresses tried to make up for shortcomings and food was good. Double room was very small and noisy. Not recommended!

Room Tip: Off the street
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am so pleased that the team here at the hotel tried to make your stay with us a pleasant one, however I was disappointed to hear you had a couple of challenges, as you can appreciate it is difficult after the event to make any comments and to date I am not aware of any comments being made concerning help with luggage and or size of a specific bedroom.
The Copthorne Aberdeen is a wonderful old granite building set in the centre of the city and offers a collect of room types and sizes meaning there is something for everyone; please do come back and stay with us again and make me aware of your reservation so that I may get the opportunity to meet with you and show you some other room types that may be more suitable to your needs.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Spent a night here. Lovely hotel, good location, friendly, helpful staff and lovely food. Room was very spacious, with large comfortable bed and well appointed. Definitely will stay again. Hotel is conveniently situated in the centre of Aberdeen, convenient for shops and theatre. Handy underground parking also.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for feeding back to trip advisor this is a great tool for us in the hospitality to work with as it helps us to listen to what our client’s wants and needs are, yet more importantly it helps us to improve our guest’s experience.
Being centrally located means we are the first hotel of choice for those attending a conference or visiting the theatre and being in the heart of the city also offers our guests some fantastic shops and restaurants to visit.
Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I am working in Aberdeen for the next six months and have stayed at the Copthorne Hotel a couple of times. The hotel is normally quite good. But, my last visit was not one to remember. Placing a bed next to the bathroom in a meeting room doesn't make it a bedroom. The least they could have done was to use a proper bed, not some old bed with a very bad mattress. I did complain to reception, and all they could say was that it was a standard room. I have a few more bookings at the hotel this month, I tried cancelling them but I was going to be charged. I really hope I don't end up in room like that again. Will keep you updated after my next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to begin by saying I was not made aware of your disappointment as I insist on listening to all my guests, please can I ask you to contact me directly so that I can look at any of your future reservations. It is not fair for me to comment on any individual room without knowing the room in question however I can assure you we do have some great club rooms which offer great space for working or simply relaxing while away from home,
I look forward to your response