“Will be back again”

Ranked #41 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Stromness, United Kingdom
“Will be back again”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was a one night stay for me, I've stayed in many of the older hotels in Aberdeen, to me this is far the best to date. Nice big room bathroom too all clean, big telly with free wifi and the signal wasn't too bad either. Ok the view from my room looked on to a gable wall, not that it bothered me I was there for the one night only, but I did notice how quiet it was no traffic to be heard and that was room 203. Also a very well informed information pack telling you all about the hotel facilities, times etc. The bar and lounge area I liked, looked very cosy I enjoyed my meal I had, bar prices weren't too bad for a city hotel. Breakfast plenty to choose from, and couldn't fault my nice hot cooked breakfast. Not a bad location either, do hope I come back here again sometime in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Free Wi-Fi this is such a plus these days, we went free Wi-Fi early this year after listening to our clients and conducting a short survey on guests most wishes & wants where Wi-Fi came out on top & funny enough with the breakfast offering being second on the list.
Mon – Thur our breakfast is cooked to order alongside this the selection of the cold buffet is vast with many meats and cheeses on offer, preserves and a good selection of cereal and mueslis.
When you make your next reservation please ensure you ask us to allocate your favourite room or before departure inform us what you like and dislike we will then update your information so that next time you stay we will do our best to make sure you receive the things you like the most, be it from your favourite room to how you like your steak cooked.

John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
Scotland
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

What a cruddy hotel! Check in was poor & reception staff did not tell us what time breakfast was, nor when we were handed a key with a huge key ring attached, were we directed to our room. Hotel is horribly dated, threadbare carpets & hideous wallpaper in corridors. Doors aren't even key card operated & are well past their best. What greeted us was a room with ridiculously uneven & squeaky floorboards, ancient (dusty) furniture, a bog standard sized double bed, a bathroom with a shower head so low I kept bashing my head off it & a manky shower curtain determined to wrap itself completely around me. Even the toiletries were completely substandard. Only saving grace was the breakfast was decent although the cooked breakfast is served at the table & not a buffet. Glad we got our night stay cheap as we certainly wont be returning here again unless it has a drastic refurb in the next few years. Shame as it was a decent hotel years ago but its been terribly neglected by millennium hotels chain. Very, very poor!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
It is always difficult to comment on some of the points you have raised as it would not be far for not two people perceptions are the same, however you will be delighted to hear we have made so many changes to the hotel in 2013 and with more planned over the next 12 months it is very exciting.
As the hotel is steeped in history we have to be sympathetic to what we do & the time scale we do it in, our door entry lock system is being installed before the end of 2013 along with an ongoing decoration programme and updating of the public areas, the exterior of the is also earmarked for an upgrade in 2014, we have installed all new beds and flat screen tv’s, I do hope you come back to the hotel again in the future so that you can see further improvements

John

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

barrow upon humber
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Yes clean and the staff were friendly. However the room was small even though it was 'executive'.

I suppose Aberdeen does make hotel prices premium but I have stayed in others at similar price with bigger room!

I would return though. ..

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
I have passed on your kind words to the team at the hotel who with me are looking forward to your returning to see us again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

After a long time research, finally got a great deal including breakfast. We stayed here for 3 nights as the base of travelling Aberdeenshire. The location is perfect for both businessman and tourists, about 15 mins walk to railway and bus station and 5 mins to Union street (the high street of the city.) The hotel has such an elegant surroundings, no wonder that there're lots of millionaires living in the area ( according to the info from Aberdeen marine museum :) ). The room is spacious and the facilities are a little old fashioned as the hotel is adapted from a town house perhaps. The breakfast is of standard quality for a 4 star hotel, a quite range to choose. But in one of the morning, we were having cereal when the waiter had cooked breakfast for us. And she took away our plates of cereal immediately without asking us whether we still need it. We even didn't have time to call her back and she had walked far away.... In addition, there's no safety in the room, strange for a business chain hotel.

In summary, it's a smart choice if you've got a good deal, try others if not.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cosmos2013
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to feedback on your recent stay with us, Being so central offers you the guest a variety of choices of things to do and places to visit.
The Copthorne is not a new purpose built property which means all our rooms are different in size yet each one offers comfort and space. The mention of a safe in the bedrooms is something which has come up in the past so yes we will be reviewing our bedroom offering in 2014 and we will discuss it then. Listening to you the client is key to our future and mentioning items for us to review helps us deliver a product you are pleased with.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The hotel has a good location. That's everything positive I can say about it.
The corridor of the hotel is smelly, room in a desperate need for renovation, tired with massive hole next to the socket. It takes about 40 minutes for the staff to take an order in the bar. And another half an hour to bring it to the table.
Whoever came up with the interior design deserves a free visit to specsavers. It's all wrong and pretentious.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
I really appreciate you taking the time to feedback on your visit; I am disappointed we never got the opportunity to meet or to hear first hand of the challenge you faced with service. To date I am not aware of any points raised to the Duty manger however thank for making us aware and we will investigate our service delivery in full,
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Staff are very welcoming and the rooms are clean and spacious.
Very convenient for the city centre being just a few yards from Union Street and yet quiet and secluded with no after dark noise to disturb your sleep.
Excellent breakfast with plenty of choice.
The Copthorne is excellent value for money in what can be an expensive city to stay in.

Room Tip: Because of the hotel's position away from the main street all rooms are quiet.