“Disappointing Funeral Tea”

Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Funeral Tea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

On Friday 22nd November 2013 we attended a Funeral Tea. It was not a positive experience and certainly will not recommend the Copthorne based on my experience.
No-one was there to greet us, we had to ask which room we were in and were given directions rather than be shown through.
It was fully 15 minutes before member of staff came to the room and that was after I asked if anyone was coming.
When the waiter did come in the first thing he did was present us with the bill!!!
When the food did arrive it was self service!!! Hot water and coffee were luke warm -stone cold by the time milk was added.
We did arrive about 10 minutes before they were expecting but a professionally run establishment should be prepared for the unexpected.
The food was alright but the sausage rolls would have been better if they had been warm.
I will be feeding back to the Funeral Director who suggested the Copthorne as a venue.
For the amount we paid I really expected a much better service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Guest,
I am really disappointed in receiving this review from you, along with the letter I received recently. After speaking with the team on duty that day they also are upset you felt this way as there was no indication of any disappointment from any guests or yourself when asked on the day or on departure.
Myself and the team are fully aware how upsetting this day can be and it is our wish not in any way to rush funeral guests as experience has shown us this is not the correct procedure.
Thank you for your comments and with all feedback we will review it to see if we can improve our service delivery via training requirements.
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Czech first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

whilst extremely pleasant the mostly foreign staff have little local knowledge .the room I was allocated seemed a bit shabby, mismatched floor tiles in bathroom and water damaged fittings.The room was dust free and appeared clean although I did find money on the floor.Fixtures,fitting and deco generally dated and some verging on shabby would guess there are better rooms than 221 but can only comment on the one I stayed in.Central location was a plus and parking might have been had my vehicle been able to fit through the limited entrance to parking.Would happily stay again but only on discounted prices via web search

Room Tip: think if you book via internet discount sites which obviously get cheap rooms to fill hotel during q...
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Part of large group on an educational trip. Make contact to organise taxi for 68 people and the man had it all organised within 1 hour of my email. I have few questions about gym and I was replied to fast with directions to local gyms and he attached a map of a route I could go running. Very impressed with care and detail that went into our planning. In the hotel, they put on special breakfast for us so we have more space and all staff in bar and restaurants were helpful and kind. Made us all feel very welcomed into Aberdeen. Hotel is good for shopping about 5 minutes walk to Union street. Lots of good shops, bars and restaurants

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Copthorne is an Aberdeen stalwart. A stupendously ugly building thrown down amongst housing that appears from the outside not to have changed in 30 years. And, it transpires, from the inside also. But whilst it clearly needs a bit of a make-over, and there is some overdue maintenance, my room contained all that is required for a couple of nights stay, and there were only minor, niggling faults. The first night I did get a little forgotten on arrival at the restaurant, but otherwise the service was good - there aren't many places in Aberdeen that would be happy to cook you anything you wished from the full menu, and serve you in either the bar or restaurant, when you arrive back from the theatre at 22:00.

1 Thank Aberphobic
John K, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to feed back so that other trip advisor followers may read how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The hotel is a popular choice for those heading out to the theatre or the music hall as we are just a short walk from both.
Being in the heart of the west end means you have a wide selection of restaurants to choose from this is why we insist on offering a full menu till 11pm from 11am. I hope the show you chose to see lived up to your expectations and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed @ The Copthorne Aberdeen last week and had the most amazing time. We had booked on a dinner bed & breakfast basis and as soon as we arrived the staff were extremely attentive, very polite and nothing was too much trouble. The club room we were allocated was truly fantastic, extremely spacious & beautifully decorated in fact probably the biggest room we have ever stayed in & we are both frequent travellers both for business & pleasure.

The bath robes were luxurious & fluffy and the bathroom was spotlessly clean, I couldn't find a single fault and I am quite hard to please! The bed was very comfortable and all the fixtures were of a very high quality.

Dinner was delicious, we both had steaks which often can be difficult to get just right but they were cooked to perfection and the flavour was fantastic. The menu had lots of choice to offer & to be honest I wanted so many of the dishes on offer I was hard pressed to choose.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. The location is brilliant as its is minutes walking distance to the city centre yet on a quiet and peaceful side road. It even has free parking! The rooms are lovely, extremely clean & beautifully decorated. The customer service skills displayed by the staff were incredible and without exception they all seemed genuinely happy to be there and to help.

Room Tip: Request a club room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Trip Advisor feedback is filtered every week and distributed to all departments then used to help us with our ongoing training, thank you very much for noticing and mentioning many of the key areas in the hotel which the team have been working hard on.
Your comments were gratefully received by the team at our weekly meeting and this shows them you are guests are benefiting from the many improvements we have been making. 2013 has seen many changes not just within the service delivery; all our rooms now have wonderful new beds, flat screen TVs’ along with a redecoration programme, as the hotel is a older style building it is all about keeping the character yet improving the service, so thank you again and we all look forward to you visiting us again in 2014 so that you can experience more of our great changes.
Stromness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was a one night stay for me, I've stayed in many of the older hotels in Aberdeen, to me this is far the best to date. Nice big room bathroom too all clean, big telly with free wifi and the signal wasn't too bad either. Ok the view from my room looked on to a gable wall, not that it bothered me I was there for the one night only, but I did notice how quiet it was no traffic to be heard and that was room 203. Also a very well informed information pack telling you all about the hotel facilities, times etc. The bar and lounge area I liked, looked very cosy I enjoyed my meal I had, bar prices weren't too bad for a city hotel. Breakfast plenty to choose from, and couldn't fault my nice hot cooked breakfast. Not a bad location either, do hope I come back here again sometime in the future.

Dear Guest,
Free Wi-Fi this is such a plus these days, we went free Wi-Fi early this year after listening to our clients and conducting a short survey on guests most wishes & wants where Wi-Fi came out on top & funny enough with the breakfast offering being second on the list.
Mon – Thur our breakfast is cooked to order alongside this the selection of the cold buffet is vast with many meats and cheeses on offer, preserves and a good selection of cereal and mueslis.
When you make your next reservation please ensure you ask us to allocate your favourite room or before departure inform us what you like and dislike we will then update your information so that next time you stay we will do our best to make sure you receive the things you like the most, be it from your favourite room to how you like your steak cooked.

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

What a cruddy hotel! Check in was poor & reception staff did not tell us what time breakfast was, nor when we were handed a key with a huge key ring attached, were we directed to our room. Hotel is horribly dated, threadbare carpets & hideous wallpaper in corridors. Doors aren't even key card operated & are well past their best. What greeted us was a room with ridiculously uneven & squeaky floorboards, ancient (dusty) furniture, a bog standard sized double bed, a bathroom with a shower head so low I kept bashing my head off it & a manky shower curtain determined to wrap itself completely around me. Even the toiletries were completely substandard. Only saving grace was the breakfast was decent although the cooked breakfast is served at the table & not a buffet. Glad we got our night stay cheap as we certainly wont be returning here again unless it has a drastic refurb in the next few years. Shame as it was a decent hotel years ago but its been terribly neglected by millennium hotels chain. Very, very poor!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
It is always difficult to comment on some of the points you have raised as it would not be far for not two people perceptions are the same, however you will be delighted to hear we have made so many changes to the hotel in 2013 and with more planned over the next 12 months it is very exciting.
As the hotel is steeped in history we have to be sympathetic to what we do & the time scale we do it in, our door entry lock system is being installed before the end of 2013 along with an ongoing decoration programme and updating of the public areas, the exterior of the is also earmarked for an upgrade in 2014, we have installed all new beds and flat screen tv’s, I do hope you come back to the hotel again in the future so that you can see further improvements

John

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels