“Perfect for business trip but poor wifi”

Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen
Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Scotland
“Perfect for business trip but poor wifi”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I've been staying here on business for 10 days and have found the hotel and restaurant to be OK. I had breakfast after 9 most mornings and often had to wait for buffet food but generally it was good. Lots of choice. Rooms are comfortable and beds really good. Staff are mostly great. Bar is nice and not too pricey.

The only real complaint I have is the wifi access. It's advertised as free but it's very poor. I was unable to connect on any device between 8am and 10pm. When I mentioned this to staff they apologised and said there was nothing they could do as "it's always bad". In today's world, it's a real shame that a hotel this size in the heart of Aberdeen does not have good wifi service.

But everything else was fine.

• Stayed August 2014
JohnKarwl-Jackes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear scots_on_holiday,
As an extremely loyal customer to the hotel and the brand I would like to thank you for your committed support. I am pleased you are finding breakfast has lots of choice, this is something we are always working to improve and is driven by you the guest, as we accommodate for many travellers from all over the globe it is important to us that we deliver a variety that works for everyone. As a long stay guest may I ask in the future should you wish for something that is not on our selection please do not hesitate to let either myself or a member of the team aware and of course we will do our very best to provide it for you. I look forward to welcoming you back and hope you have joined our successful loyalty programme so that you may in return receive benefits and rewards as a loyal customer.
Kind Regards
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Travelled here for business, was booked in by my company at late notice so I didn't know what to expect.
Overal the hotel is quite grand on the inside, if a little bit dated - I quite liked the extensive use of polished Granite!
Reception was polite and very helpful - no complaints there.
Room was clean and spacious, the polished Granite continuing into the room and bathroom.
the granite topped furniture was high quality and there was complimentary water in the room; the hotel in general has all the trademarks of a traditional up-market hotel.
Unfortunately the seagulls made a terrible racket throughout the night, so the window needs to be kept shut if you want some sleep.

I ordered food quite late, but this didn't have any impact on the service.
Food was pricey, but very high quality; the steak I had was up there with the best!
The whisky menu is also quite extensive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Have stayed in Copthorne Newcastle and London before, so thought this would be OK. Solid and dependable, and so it proved. Comfy beds and nice ensuite rooms, although always always too hot. Why can you not adjust the temperature of your room depending on the season? Staff were friendly and flexible, they let us change rooms so we could go to a higher floor and get a better view (original view was of the roof of the next door house). We paid for the breakfast, which was fine, and good selection of cold stuff, and the chef did us some poached eggs. So all good, but don't turn up too near the end. Only really downsides were the shower. was appalling, too low place for someone 6ft tall (hardly a giant), and a trickle of too hot water. And special mention to Carla on reception, who was very accommodating.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

No parking space as car park was full, room is dated, tv channels didn't work, 2 ironing boards no iron, no toilet roll only a quarter roll and breakfast not great all for 150 quid would probably been cheaper if I didn't book on the day of stay

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

bucks
Reviewed 13 August 2014

we stay 3 nights at the Copthorne hotel in Aberdeen, i was pleasantly surprised after reading reviews, i was nervous, but all was good. we stayed in room 416, the furniture was a little battered,and the room a bit stuffy,our window was opened to the max 24/7, but it was the first week in august, the hotel seemed a little warm throughout, having said all that we found the staff to be polite and efficient,the breakfast plentiful,the hotel is well placed for the city center, 4 to 5 mins walk to union street.
if you are flying into Aberdeen take the bus to union street,picked up outside airport, under £10 return for two, which is a good twenty minute ride.

Room Tip: we had room 416, it was at the back, so no sound from cars rumbling over cobbled street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was looking forward to staying in this hotel having enjoyed staying in other Copthorne hotels in the UK which have been fantastic, but this hotel was awful.

Upon walking into my room I was overwhelmed by a really horrible, nauseating smell. The window was already open in the room when I arrived so I tried to identify where the smell was coming from in order to get rid of it. Turned out to be 2 different smells coming from 2 different locations in the room: the drawers in the desk/dressing table; and the bathroom. Despite working out where the smell was likely to be coming from I couldn't see any cause for it. I also discovered when I opened the door to the bathroom that the handle was covered in some unknown sticky substance. I reported these issues to reception who explained that the hotel was full so I couldn't be moved to another room, so I asked if it might be possible for someone to clean the door handle and place an air freshener in the room. The receptionist said someone would see to it. Unfortunately when I returned to my room a couple of hours later there was no air freshener and the door handle was still sticky. I used my perfume to try and mask the smell a bit and wiped the door handle as best I could with toilet roll.

As I got into bed I discovered a short black hair sitting on top of the top pillow on the bed (as I have long blonde hair it definitely wasn't mine). By this point the room was making me feel dirty so I had a shower only to discover that the towels were stained.

Despite expressing concern again at checkout I was merely offered the excuse "the hotel was full and there was a wedding on, so everybody would have been busy".

It would also appear that the cleanliness issues were not confined to my room, as I know that the couple staying down the corridor from me found a hair in their bath.

This hotel obviously has some serious issues with cleaning, and the reception staff (whilst never rude) seem to be lacking adequate training for dealing with issues/complaints. The decor is tired and dated and the standard is long way adrift from other Copthorne hotels I have stayed at.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank screenmind
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

One the best hotels we have stayed in....from the moment we arrived we had a perfect stay. Our room was spacious and had nice built-in wardrobes along with lovely matching furniture and a large plasma tv with good selection of channels. There was no air-conditioning in room but a fan had already been switched on to cool our room so was nice and comfortable. Bed was large and super-comfy...I am a restless sleeper and have to say I had a great nights sleep! We went for breakfast 10.30am and was bit disappointed to see very little hot food left but within 5 minutes chef had made us both a yummy fresh cooked breakfast served to us at our table so really could not fault the service. Overall loved this hotel and will be returning soon:)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
JohnKarwl-Jackes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted you had a great stay with us in Aberdeen and that the team looked after you so well at breakfast.
Please do come and stay with us again soon and remember to like us and follow us on both facebook and twitter to be the first to hear of our fantastic weekend offers
Kind Regards