“Hmmm - average at best”

Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow
“Hmmm - average at best”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

On the outside, the Copthorne looks like a lovely hotel but....

The room decor was slightly dated and to use the over the bath shower, you'd have to be no taller than 5 foot!

My biggest complaint was the LOUD music travelling up through the hotel from the function suite. We did stay on a Saturday night but I wouldn't expect to hear the music so clearly on the 3rd floor!! I called reception to ask when the noise would end, 1am I was told. Not ideal!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
JohnKarwl-Jackes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Fiji777,
I am really sorry you was disturb due to a function at the hotel, it is our intention to allocate rooms to guests away from the function space that are not attending an event at the hotel, clearly on this occasion we have not been successful, can I please ask that when making a future reservation you forward this reply along with your reservation number so that we may get the opportunity to look after you.
Thank you for choosing the Copthorne Aberdeen.
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night at the Copthorn Hotel with my partner.

Quick check with no issues.

Booked a standard double room, which was a decent size and cleaned to a good standard. We found the fan in the room useful as it became a little humid during the night. The bed and pillows were comfortable, which tends to be an issue for me.

No outdoor noise, however there were several kids running around for a while in the hallway late in the evening. It was so loud it sounded as though they were running around our room. No noise was heard from other rooms.

We had dinner in the restaurant, which had efficient service, although the main meal was average and basic. The deserts were tasty. Waiting staff were lovely.

The hotel is located a short walk to the city centre.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnKarwl-Jackes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Adelia ,
Thank you for reviewing the hotel after your recent visit and clearly we could have enhanced the menu option available the night of your visit. The chef and the team are always taking comments from guests as to what they would like to see on our menu so please email me directly with any suggestions. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope you visit us again soon.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We held my daughters 18th birthday party in the Crystal Suite. The staff were amazing they couldn't do enough for us. They were attentive, courteous & extremely helpful. The evening went without a hitch. The buffet was first class. They helped clear up & collected the items we wanted to keep on our behalf. I would thoroughly recommend this venue for special occasions.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
JohnKarwl-Jackes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Elaine,
Many thanks for choosing the Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen for your daughters 18th birthday and I am delighted to hear how well it all went, the team will be pleased to hear you all had a great evening.
You will have to let us look after her for that special 21st celebration.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here with work on a few occasions; would not recommend. Kind of like Faulty Towers without the humour. Staff are fine if not overworked and under pressure, however this hotel is not managed well.

Highlights include wifi that doesn't work (staff shrug and say Aberdeen has poor wifi in general- mmmmm). TV channels that do not work or freeze. Regular 1 hr plus waits for restaurant food. When said food arrives it is poor- I'm talking below holiday inn/premier inn standards. Tap water provided bottled in rooms (wow) yet doesn't be replaced if you stay more than 1 day. Breakfasts WELL below average- when I complained about very undercooked sausages I was told everyone else was eating them. Buffet breakfast foods are not monitored and run empty frequently. On one occasion colleagues were told they could not order dinner until half-nine at night as a coach had arrived (yes really) so we took our money elsewhere. Slow rickety lift which gets congested easily and breaks down. It's apparently a big hassle to get the bar reopened for residents.

Finally it's in a poor location with a car park the size of my living room. Best of luck.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Belfast
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night in august, it was perfect for what we needed it for!

Going to a friends wedding so we stayed for one night, got a great rate!

Had a really good sleep which is rare as o never really sleep well other than at home, the black out curtains really helped, clean room, good service at reception. No issues!

Didn't get a chance to use the facilities, but would definitely stay again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
JohnKarwl-Jackes, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to the beautiful Granite City.
It was nice to read you had a good night’s sleep and felt the benefit of our recently upgraded beds to the wonderful and comfortable Hypnos range.
Should you wish to learn more and keep up to date with our special offers then please either follow us on facebook, twitter or join the Millennium & Copthorne Loyalty programme.
Scotland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I've been staying here on business for 10 days and have found the hotel and restaurant to be OK. I had breakfast after 9 most mornings and often had to wait for buffet food but generally it was good. Lots of choice. Rooms are comfortable and beds really good. Staff are mostly great. Bar is nice and not too pricey.

The only real complaint I have is the wifi access. It's advertised as free but it's very poor. I was unable to connect on any device between 8am and 10pm. When I mentioned this to staff they apologised and said there was nothing they could do as "it's always bad". In today's world, it's a real shame that a hotel this size in the heart of Aberdeen does not have good wifi service.

But everything else was fine.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear scots_on_holiday,
As an extremely loyal customer to the hotel and the brand I would like to thank you for your committed support. I am pleased you are finding breakfast has lots of choice, this is something we are always working to improve and is driven by you the guest, as we accommodate for many travellers from all over the globe it is important to us that we deliver a variety that works for everyone. As a long stay guest may I ask in the future should you wish for something that is not on our selection please do not hesitate to let either myself or a member of the team aware and of course we will do our very best to provide it for you. I look forward to welcoming you back and hope you have joined our successful loyalty programme so that you may in return receive benefits and rewards as a loyal customer.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Travelled here for business, was booked in by my company at late notice so I didn't know what to expect.
Overal the hotel is quite grand on the inside, if a little bit dated - I quite liked the extensive use of polished Granite!
Reception was polite and very helpful - no complaints there.
Room was clean and spacious, the polished Granite continuing into the room and bathroom.
the granite topped furniture was high quality and there was complimentary water in the room; the hotel in general has all the trademarks of a traditional up-market hotel.
Unfortunately the seagulls made a terrible racket throughout the night, so the window needs to be kept shut if you want some sleep.

I ordered food quite late, but this didn't have any impact on the service.
Food was pricey, but very high quality; the steak I had was up there with the best!
The whisky menu is also quite extensive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business