“only good at a price”

Ranked #40 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
N.I.
“only good at a price”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

we needed two nights in the Aberdeen area to attend a weddng. As this was in addition to four foreign holidays this year, we were not willing to spend too much. For the last family wedding in the area we had stayed in Ardoe House and were very disappointed as it was expensive, so didn't want to make the same mistake again.
We booked The Copthorne through Hotel Connexions for £50 inc. breakfast and at this price wouldn't complain.
It is dark and dated inside but clean enough and with an adequate breakfast, so as my title says if you only need a room and get it at a price, it's ok.
We ate in a little Italian about 100 yds down the same street. It was pretty good and had a good atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
CopAbz, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 6 September 2010
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Copthorne Aberdeen.

I'm glad that we fulfilled your requirements for a wedding stayover and I'm pleased that you found us to be value for money and well located.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Czech first
Ayr
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Fortunately my wife and I got this as an Internet deal with Laterooms.com otherwise I would be even more disappointed than I am.

RESTAURANT & BAR
DINNER
Very limited choice on menu, which stayed the same for the three nights. I would have expected menus, or at least parts of menus, to be varied daily. The food was 'alright' but not exceptional or of a four star standard.

Asked for bottle of house red and was informed there was none, selected another wine from the wine list to be informed it would have to be brought from the cellar, which would not normally be a problem but I had to wait while duty manager was paged, then until he arrived, then while he went to get keys, then when he returned to ask the waiting staff to remind him of what kind of wine it was and then for him to go and get, and then return with, the wine. There was still no house red the following night.

BREAKFAST
We were not shown to our table on any morning and quantity of cooked breakfast varied on each day although quality was good.

First morning although table pointed out to us had been set the milk jug was almost empty and the only butter on the table was in already opened packets.

The following morning we were asked to wait in the bar while a table was prepared for us, as we did so we saw two other couples and two individuals walk in to the restaurant and be seated immediately. During this time the male member of staff who had asked us to wait was wandering around very theatrically clutching at his brow. When we eventually got a table we saw that both couples and the two individuals we had seen entering had indeed been seated at four different two-setting tables, why could we not be given one of these? There were at least another four empty tables which had yet to be cleared and re-set.

MISC
Ordered two teas and were served with Earl Grey , when we had expected an 'ordinary' tea. Whilst this was replaced easily it was billed as two pots, which had to be rectified.
Bar prices were extortionate.

BEDROOM
Reasonably comfortable but cracked tiles on bathroom floor, broken fitting (towel holder?), damaged bath and brownish-black stained sealant around bath should all be replaced or remedied.

INTERNET ACCESS
Although on a break I did require Internet access for some business matters during my stay and I found your charges for this exorbitant, surely you could make a better offer to paying guests. I often have to do some work while on a break and do not pay anything like this (e.g. Four Star Green Hotel, Kinross, which outshines you in all the areas I comment on, offers free Internet access for guests).

CAR PARK
The car park is ridiculously small with very tight, cramped spaces. It has so few spaces that obviously most of your guests must park elsewhere therefore I would suggest that you would do everyone a favour by reducing the number of spaces so as to make each remaining one bigger and reasonably accessible.

STAFF
With two exceptions (Michael in bar & Lisa in restaurant) the staff gave the impression that they simply could not be bothered.

LOCATION
Very good, central location.

My overall feeling was of a very corporate hotel, which is catering for the 'Room Only' market and therefore not suitable for a dinner, bed & breakfast break, which we were on. I do not feel I could recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
CopAbz, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 2 August 2010
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Copthorne. I do regret that you were disappointed with the hotel on this occasion.

We do take on board your comments regarding food & beverage in the hotel. A copy of your review has been passed to the Head Chef for his information regarding dinner inclusive guests staying multiple nights and the suggestion that the menu be altered slightly. Also, as a result of your poor experience at breakfast we will be holding an emergency meeting with the relevant staff members this week to discuss the recent feedback. A few of our more experienced staff members, including the supervisor you encountered just this week, have now left us and we will seek to improve on standards with the new staff we have coming on board. I'm really disappointed that you encountered a less than satisfactory breakfast as this is normally an area of service that we shine on, so please accept my apologies for this. Thank you, however, for mentioning Michael and Lisa in a positive manner and I'll ensure they are aware of this to encourage others to follow suit.

We appreciate your comments on internet charges, although we have done a recent study of branded hotels in our area and find ourselves to be among the cheapest for internet access. None of our branded competitors in the city offer free internet.

Finally, we are aware the car park is small and do try to emphasise to everyone on booking, whether by telephone or online, that car parking is not guaranteed but that there are ample spaces in the NCP just across the street. The spaces are designed to allow as many cars as possible in and feel that free parking at a city centre hotel is a rarity across the country so we would hope to continue offering this selling point, even though we cannot offer it to every guest.

Once again, I do regret that your stay with us was less than satisfactory but let me assure you that your comments will be discussed with the team and improvements made where possible. I do hope that, despite this, you will be able to return to us again in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Houston, UK
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We booked the Copthorne again as we had stayed before and managed to have a decent sleep. This hotel seems to be reliable but, in my opinion, does need to be freshened up. There is nothing actually wrong, it's just gloomy. Maybe get rid of the halogen spotlights which keep everything so dark. Rooms are a bit dated too but a good size. Take care if you are asthmatic like me, the rooms have electric heating (not needed in July). Now the good things. The staff are helpful and pleasant and make you feel welcome. Qulaity of drinks at the bar are good, some pleasant wines. I cannot vouch for dinner as I have not eaten in the restaurent but breakfast is of a good quality. Good range of cereals, friut, pastries, and some cold meats and really nice selection of smoked/pickled fish. The cooked breakfast is substantial with good quality ingredients. They also have a vegetarian cooked breakfast which may be useful for non-meat eaters. I have read a couple of reviews which mention that this hotel is in a poor area. I disagree, there are a couple of council tower blocks nearby but that's hardly an excuse to say the area is bad. It's only 150 yds from Union St! A mild refresh of the decor and this hotel could shine.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your recent review of the Copthorne Aberdeen.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your recent trip on the whole. We appreciate your comments on the fabric of the hotel and the fact that this is offset by the quality of service and cleanliness.

I've passed your positive comments about the bar and breakfast onto the food & beverage team and I'm pleased that we measured up to expectations on these areas.

Finally, thanks for your comments regarding location and I do hope that other travellers take on board what you have said as we too feel that the hotel is ideally placed in the quieter area of the city centre.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!
Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The Hotel was idealy placed for shopping in the city. The bar prices were, I thought, quite expensive. In the morning there was a good selection at breakfast. The small car park under the hotel was full when we arrived so we used the multi-storie just over the road. As my partner and I are in the older age group, a couple we met directed us to the '22 club' just over the road (to the right diagonal from the main door) which had cheap drink and good music and dancing.
The down side to the hotel was that the room was slightly small and very warm. In the morning we had problems with the waiting staff getting our breakfast order correct. But all in all, Good value on the dicounted price that we got on the net.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Copthorne.

I'm so pleased that you found the hotel to be good value for money and that you were pleased with the location. We certainly think we are well placed in the quieter area of the city centre.

I'm sorry you found the size of the room to be small. Due to the layout of the building many of our rooms are of different shapes and sizes but all rooms are large enough to accommodate double beds comfortably - there are no single rooms in the hotel.

We have conducted extensive research against local competitor hotels and bars with regard to pricing and do find ourselves to be competitively priced in our marketplace. But I am pleased that you enjoyed yourself at the club across the street!

Lastly, you will notice that your comments regarding breakfast have been mirrored by other guests recently and I can assure you that this is something the senior management team are working hard to remedy in conjunction with the food & beverage team.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.
england
Reviewed 27 June 2010

The hotel is very central, room clean and spacious, staff helpful there were no A/C in the room but to be fair the hotel did put in a fan in the room, mind you in aberdeen you dont need A/C all that often food was excellent. A nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
CopAbz, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 17 July 2010
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Copthorne.

I'm glad that you were pleased with the rooms and the food and I will ensure that the respective teams are aware of your positive remarks.

As you mentioned, air conditioning is rarely a necessity in this part of the world but I'm pleased that our staff made your room more comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Lyndsay
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Good location for getting around Aberdeen. Although the bathroom was very clean and the reception staff pleasant, I was quite dissappointed with the hotel overall as it's very tired and in desperate need of a revamp. The mattress was rather lumpy, the pillows were as flat as pancakes and the whole room and landing suffered from a rather foosty smell (so much so that I chose not to hang my suit in the wardrobe just in case it stank the next day). The curtains were stained and on opening them, I had the rather unnappealing view into the living room of someone in the high rise flats opposite. I therefore had to sit with the curtains closed, allowing no natural light in to the room. Not very nice - i'd avoid.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
CopAbz, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 16 June 2010
Thanks for your recent review on the Copthorne Aberdeen and I do regret that you didn't enjoy your stay on this occasion.

Your positive comments on the staff are well received and this is certainly something that is regularly praised by our guests. You also commented on the location of the hotel, which we believe to be ideally placed in the city centre but slightly away from the "hustle bustle".

I was disappointed to read your comments on the room. Although there are no plans for a full hotel refurbishment, we are currently carrying out a full bedroom audit in order to highlight issues similar to those raised in your review. This will enable us to replace faulty equipment and furnishings. We also have plans to replace beds and curtains by the end of this year.

I do hope that your experience will not deter you from returning to the Copthorne Aberdeen.
glasgow
Reviewed 29 May 2010

stayed here for 2 nights business in May.
was told earlier in the week of early check inn. after 3 hour drive arrived to be told NO WAY. When i was eventually allowed to check in went to my room to be placed above function room with blarming disco/function going on.
asked for room change and was told NO.
was informed music would stop within an hour. music blaring and signing till well after 1am. reception not interested.
location up dirty street. i was afraid to leave my car. NEVER AGAIN/

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
CopAbz, Revenue Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent trip to the Copthorne Aberdeen and I am disappointed that you faced some difficulties.

We guarantee check-in from 2pm but do endeavour to allow an early arrival into the room when available. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, with a check-out time of 12 noon we cannot guarantee that any rooms will be available sooner than this if the hotel was fully booked the night before. We also have to rely on the specific room type booked to become available, which isn't always immediately possible.

Unfortunately due to the location of the bedrooms some are directly above our function suite and therefore are subject to slightly increased noise levels. Where possible, we do allocate these rooms to guests attending the function or we do not allocate the rooms to anyone at all but if the hotel is busy then unfortunately we have no alternative but to use these rooms. I do hope that you took the time to discuss your concerns about this with our Duty Manager on departure.

With regards to your comments on the hotel location, we are quite clear on all our websites that the hotel is located in a residential area of the city centre. I'm sorry that you found the need to doubt the security of the area, but I can assure you that there has never been an issue with safety of residents or their cars in my time here - either in the hotel car park or the public car park adjacent to the hotel.

Despite your comments, I do hope that you will see fit to return to the hotel in the future.