“Very disappointing stay” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

We stayed here for one night and only because it advertised free parking. When we arrived we were told that there was no space for our "big" car and that we would have to park in the NCP across the way at £1.35 per hour. Having complained to manager and asked for them to pay the parking, we were were told no, as they would have to do this with all the guests. Fortunately my husband checked and there was a car space left which he managed to get into.
The room was okay with a small window and not much of a view.
The shower was not even luke warm and according to the note left at reception was due to a the hotel being full. I get the impression that this happens a lot and nothing seems to have been done about it, bearing in mind this is a 4 stat hotel - I dont think it acceptable.
We had to queue for 25 minutes for breakfast even though we could see empty tables.
Most staff were pleasant - although manager needs to learn about customer satisfaction, and to realise that people can still hear them when standing at the lift mouthing off about guests, not very professional.
All in all - would not recommend nor return to this hotel

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lec778

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Czech first
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

Date of Stay: 1st September 2010
Room number: 228

Comments:
Bath surround needs to be replaced - brown mouldy look isn't good
Empty ice cream carton in besdide table drawer
Old wine cork and hair grips behind bedside table (looking for useable socket)
Difficult to plug in moulded laptop cable to powr socket on desk (socket too low)

Not a great review of the room - looks like housekeeping needs to be improved!

However breakfast was good and I found staff friendly and helpful, although I still can't work out why they don't automatically put out butter with breakfast.

Wouldn't rush back but wouldn'y say no (if pusshed).

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

Stayed here one night after running a Marathon before going home. Very good and efficient welcome at reception, booking handled easily. Room very clean and tdy, with everything working. Ate in the bar and the 2 course meal was delicious, very tasty and excellent value. Drink prices reasonable for Aberdeen as well. wi Fi quite expensive for 24 hours, but very fast connection in the room. Only a short walk to Union street and all the Pubs and Clubs. Excellent value for money. I will stay here again. Limited car parking at Hotel, but large multi storey is almost directly opposite if hotel parking is full

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ABZDSlater, Duty Manager at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, responded to this review, 27 February 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay here at Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen.

I am delighted we met your expectations on this occasion.

Rest assured I will pass your comments to the relevant Head’s of Department who will be equally pleased.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you to the Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen in the near future.

Yours sincerely

David Slater

Duty Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

No one at reception to welcome us at 2pm arrival. Once eventually checked in were advised we were in room 226 on 2nd floor and press No.2 on the lift. Once lift doors opened the sign stated 1st floor. Our room was actually on 1st floor - confusing. Who gave this hotel 4 stars? We would be pushed to give 2 stars. Dark and dingy rooms and could do with a full refurbishment. No LCD TV - Old TV sat on dark unit. Dressing table chipped, bath chipped with touch-up job to hide them. Went out came back around 7pm for a lie down before going out for the evening. Couldn't relax for a mechanical clinking buzzing noise behind the wall at the bed. Decided just to go out. Came back around 11pm and couldn't sleep for the noise from a wedding disco below. Decided to watch TV - out of a choice of 26 channels - only 2 were available. Went down to the bar and was able to watch Sportscene. Back up to room, but still unable to get to sleep until after 1am due to wedding. Then at 5.45 we were wakened up by the clinking/buzzing noise again. Tried to investigate - there is a staff hoist adjacent to the room. Phoned reception and they said they would turn it off. half our later sitll no better. Fed up we got up and went for a walk at 6.45am - met the Manager at reception who didn't understand the noise as the staff hoist is broken. We returned around 7.45 and the noise still present in the room. Complained to Manager again who came to the room and heard the noise. He was baffled, hadn't a clue what the cause was, apologised and offered another room. What was the point as we were only staying for one night. Went for breakfast. Husband ordered full breakfast, I ordered scambled egg. I got a full breakfast with scrambled egg. I wasn't advised of the hot plate and burned my finger that it blistered. On check out there was no offer of a discount due to the lack of sleep and noise within the room. All we got was an apology. We won't be back and certainly could not recommend this to anyone else. Eye contact and a smile from staff would not go amiss.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Boston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

This hotel was a bit dingy and in need of a refurb, the bar are was like a gentlemans club and you almost smell the cigars and brandy.
The check-in was uneventful and not very friendly staff.
What we did enjoy was the restaurant, the food was very good, a bit of a surprise really, after the surroundings in the bar. The waiters were very attentive but our wine choice was not available - 2 for that, but the waiter did bring a couple of similar ones to our table to choose from - nice touch that +2 for that.
The rooms were nice size, good linen, Tv and bathrooms - no complaints at all really.
In all not bad and the food makes up for other shortcomings.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

Stayed here in August 2010, it was booked via Laterooms. We chose this hotel based on price and we paid around £60.00 including breakfast which I thought was a fair price.
We got to the hotel from the station on foot, took around 15 minutes. The hotel is in what appears to be a residential area but the area was clean and quiet when we arrived around lunchtime.

We arrived at the front of the hotel and climed the 8 or so steps to reception which was accessed via 2 automatic doors and then up another 3 or so steps to reception on the right.

There were two members of staff on the desk as we approached and we waited to be addresses. And we waited. And we waited. Until I said I'd like to check in please, there was not a peep, not a hello, not even a glance up or a smile. Thought that was a bit rude. Check in was long and slow as the person on the desk was new. This was not a problem as far as I was concerned but this was not explained and we felt like a bit of a nuisance as the other lady on the desk kept having to help him. A simple "I'm training, I appreciate you patience" would've done. I don't think either of them so much as looked at us. They were also not sure if I was breakfast inclusive or not which took a lot of hunting around and pressing buttons to find out.

We were on the second floor facing the front. The room was spacious with a good sized double bed, fitted wardrobes and a chest. The TV sat upon the chest and it was an old fashioned set, not an LCD, which I come to expect when I stay away from home now; you expect the comforts of home and we've all got the big flat screen TVs. The room was clean, the bathroom was a normal size for a hotel and was also clean. The windows open which was a blessing as the hotel did not have A/C and it was a rather warm weekend I stayed.

The hotel make you pay for Wi-Fi, which is outrageous and money for nothing. Our deciding factor on this trip was price, although if I was staying for longer I'd choose somewhere with free Wi-Fi. This is where the chains fall down badly against the much better independent hotels, who have no tie ins to the O2s and BTs of this world and offer faster connections for free.

There was another niggle in the evening when I asked reception for 2 extra pillows as there were no extras in the wardrobe as you'd expect. I was assured they'd be with us in a couple of minutes. 5 minutes passed, no pillows. Called again was told they'll be with us soon. 10 minutes passed, no pillows. Another call to reception this time the gentleman on the desk is a bit rude (this is the same person who checked me in, they work him long hours!) and he says "We're very busy", now as a guest I don't really care I just expect to be told a time when my pillows will arrive, receive my pillows and go to bed. It's a two second job. This annoyed me greatly.

Breakfast was good, we had the full Scottish which was plated and served to the table. It was good, really tasty. There was also was fruit, cereals and juices available too. The only tip I'd pass on here is to advise breakfast inclusive guests of what their entitled too as we were just handed a menu with no advice. Turned out we were only allowed one choice, good job I wasn't feeling greedy, might have cost a fortune.

Check out was quick and painless.

Overall I'd say good stay but a bit of good service and a smile go a long way in this business.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Kelso, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

As I booked through expotel I emailed reservations on the friday before arrival and twice on the saturday asking what room I had been allocated and the cost of adding another person for breakfast - gave up waiting for a reply and telephoned the hotel on saturday and couldnt be told about my room as its allocated on the day of arrival. Poor customer service !
Stayed 6th and 7th September and was given a good sized room on the top floor at the back of the hotel which was quiet-ideal for me as a light sleeper (apart from buzzing from some machinery). Room was rather gloomy even with two bedside lamps, floor lamp and ceiling light at the door on.Decor and furniture was rather shabby.
The hotel seems to have a problem with lights! One of the bedside lamps had a faulty switch causing the lamp to flicker, one of the downlighters in the bathroom was hanging down out its socket and a picture light in the dining room was off as 'there was something wrong with it even after I changed the bulb' according to the waiter.
Cracked tiles in the bathroom and black mould round the bath ( which did clean away with a tissue!) wasnt very inviting. The TV on a very shaky stand needs looked at also!
The bed however was comfortable so a good sleep was had.
Breakfast-VERY pricey if you dont book with your room. I had pre-booked and although the scottish fry-up (without a potatoe scone???) was on the whole lovely I had no mushrooms as expected with no explanation or apology.
My guest and I ate in the restaurant on the first evening, both having steak. We were given Sirloin at the price of our choice of rib-eye as there was none. My guest asked for medium , myself well done. His steak was almost rare and mine was part medium/well done with a little blood- and as tough as old boots. 7 chunky chips!? I expect a bit more than that for almost £17.The waiter took my comments to the chef who said it was because I had asked for well done. Another waiter asked if our meal was okay and I again said no to which he graciously apologised, went away and then infomed us one of our desserts would be free. Fair enough- but the creme brulee came without its drambuie shot with raspberry as on the menu! We ate out in town the following evening.
We did get a space in the car park , it is a very tight squeeze but if you get in it is free.
All the staff we dealt with were pleasant and professional enough so really the only grumble I had with the hotel was the decor was shabby for a three star never mind the four its rated as and the evening meal was overpriced and one of the worst meals I have had.