“Christmas shopping ”

Carmelite
Ranked #48 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
“Christmas shopping ”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed her the first weekend in December, no complaints about staff, very polite & helpful. also our suite was perfect,
But... We arrived at 2.15pm, for our room not to be ready, was told 20minutes, came back at 3.45pm, for it still not to be ready?! It was after 4pm before we got into our room.
Next problem was the noise volume coming from the party downstairs, I know it's the Christmas period & staff night outs etc, but it was extremely loud! Carried on till past 2am! My last problem was the parking, when I booked the room the person I spoke to never mentioned once that I needed to book a parking space or that I had to pay for parking, which worked out quite expensive! Overall I did enjoy my stay and the Hotel is ideal for walking distance to shops :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Very disappointed with this venue for our Christmas party. The place was absolutely mobbed with people not quite sure where they were going. Fortunately there was staff on hand to direct us to our table but unfortunately we were separated by different booths and not sitting next to the rest of our group.

We were seated in the lobby, next to the DJ and the bar but the booths we were in were quite wobbly, and every time someone behind us moved, the whole thing shook. I don't know if that's because it wasn't permanent seating and only put in the lobby for the party night but it was a bit of an annoyance.

The meal was really disappointing. I felt as if the salmon rilette had been bought in and thawed out and served. The vegetables in the main course, particularly the parsnip was completely undercooked and the mashed potato was tepid and tasteless. The dessert dry and the cream with it had melted by the time it got to us and was swishing around the plate.

When the meal had ended and the entertainment started, it almost impossible to hear what the person next to you was saying. It was so loud that we had to leave early as my partner was developing a headache.

After an enjoyable Christmas night a few years ago, we had hoped our party this year would be just as good but we feel that the venue was being too greedy by trying to cram as many people as possible into various places in the hotel. Although it appears to be quite upmarket, everything seems really cheaply done. I don't think we will be coming back here any time soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MishImpossible

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We unfortunately booked our Christmas night out at the Carmelite for 35 people, the venue was absolutely packed, there was no space to move and our table was blocking people from getting easily to the toilets, consequently our staff sitting at those seats were constantly being knocked into by people pushing past. We were told that as it was so full the table service would be slow and we would be better to order bottles of sprits, however they did not have any diet coke!!. A big fight broke out midway through the evening, I can only think that it was due to overcrowding, the only saving grace was there wasn't a fire as there is no way that crowd would have gotten out safely.
It smacks of abject greed to cram the dance-floor and what is normally the reception area with extra tables in order to make a quick buck, however they have lost a lot of return business and I will be advising anyone I know not to go this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank david c
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Was here for Christmas lunch recently. Food I must say was far from the best I have experienced. The starter and sweet were ok, but the main course consisted flaky and chewy roast beef with undercooked and hard vegetables.
Impolite, inefficient and bad mannered is how I would describe some of the bar staff, and not how I as a paying customer expects to be treated.
Don't expect I will be returning here at all again.
Some of the bar staff could certainly take a few lessons in courtesy and service to customers.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thomas W
Turriff
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times while I've been visiting aberdeen. Have no problem with the service or the lay out of the hotel. I'm quite fond of the hotel, hence why I keep returning. Only problem I've had is upon arriving at the hotel, I paid for the room. A couple of days later I noticed that I had been over charged (only £20) phoned up the hotel and was answered by someone rather absurd. The phone call lasted about 30 seconds and I was told I would be refunded the money.. this was a couple of months ago, still no refund to be seen. £20 isn't a big miss but I thought I'd get what I was due! I'm staying back here at the new year, just hoping my bank account doesn't get dipped in to!

Stayed October 2013
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us at Carmelite. Thank you too for your valued repeat custom and loyalty. It is pleasing to read you enjoy our service and product, however I apologise for the abrupt response you received via telephone when querying your account. Of course we will refund any mistake we have made. Will you please email me direct with your name and date of stay, where we can review your account and refund any overcharges. We look forward to welcoming you back to Carmelite in the New Year. gary.atkinson@carmelitehotels.com
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The hotel is very conveniently situated in the centre. The staff was very friendly and helpfull and the upgraded rooms were very beautiful. The only thing that bothered us was the big party that was going on untill 5 am! It felt a bit akward to make our way through the drinking and dancing guests with our bags and stuff to get to the lift for our room at the 1st floor. And until 5am we could hear the music and partying guests.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Carmelite. Whilst I am delighted to read of your positive comments relating to the style, décor and service from Carmelite, I am sorry to read that you were inconvenienced by the noise till 5am. I can assure you our Christmas functions with discos finish at 1am, and I can therefore only assume that noise beyond this time must have been from external party revellers travelling home, as other late night bars and clubs close at 3am. We are a city centre venue, and are proud of our Merchant Quarter location, as you rightly state, we are very conveniently situated for all the city's retailers, as well as the 23 independent bars, and 16 independent restaurants located within the 1/4 sq mile of the Quarter. Obviously this is a very busy time for all licensed premises, with Christmas parties, and I sincerely hope, this potentially isolated incident of late night noise, will not deter you from staying with us in the future. Please make us aware of this issue when next rebooking so we can allocate a room away from the front of the building, where it is quieter.
Once again, thank you for your comments.
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Nice hotel very closed to city center in a peaceful area! Definitely this is not the best hotel I ever stayed. I consider a good and honest price/quality ratio. It is located located very central, in an old and lovely building. The tiny reception is sharing the same room with a bar and breakfast area, which is funny and fascinating for me, despite some other reviewers look intrigued by this. The staff is very friendly and useful, no complains.

Room are quite small, but really I was there for business, little time to spend in the room, that was fine. The only bothering think was oily smell from kitchen one evening - I let window open to get fresh air and bad luck! But little later in the evening everything was perfect. Next day I learned my lesson and opened the window late in the evening. Perhaps the management wants to do something about this. The hot air from the kitchen is exhausted too close to window.

The breakfast included might be quite spartan to someone looking for a feast (yogurt, cereals, pastry, coffee/tea, juice). It was perfect for me. Anyway a whole menu to order is waiting for someone expecting more variety for breakfast.

Like it, and definitely will come back on my next Aberdeen trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank yopu for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay at Carmelite. It is pleasing you enjoyed your experience, and find our innovative reception idea 'fascinating'. This is in fact a half way position. In removing our Reception POD, to incorporate an area of the bar, we actually will also be removing this and replacing this function with mobile tablets, with staff able to check you in/out anywhere on the ground floor. The busy Christmas events have taken priority, however we will be developing the reception revision in the New Year.
On the rooms front, we do have a variety of sizes of accommodation, from standard singles and doubles on the third floor, to Dapper Doubles, and larger Feature Rooms on the second floor, Designer Executive Rooms and Bespoke Suites on the first floor. Obviously, depending on what 'bookers' reserve at the prices attributed to these varying rooms, depends on size. I would recommend you enquire on the larger rooms next time you are making a reservation - I can assure you, you'll not be disappointed.

I do take your point regarding the kitchen fans, and will look into a remedy, they are normally switched off at 10.30pm Sunday to Monday, however with food been available till 2430hrs on Friday & Saturdays, they need to be left on till after this time. I have looked into re-routing the ventilation flue, but isn't feasible due to Historical Grading of that external elevation.

Again, please make reference to this point when next booking and we will allocate a room away from this area.

Thank you once again for sharing your views