“Had my wedding here!”

Ranked #48 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Ellon, United Kingdom
“Had my wedding here!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I live in Aberdeen and really enjoy coming here for drinks and also for meals because it's one of the places in Aberdeen for tasty food that isn't a chain restaurant. It's a really quirky place which I absolutely love and because of this, this is where my husband and I decided to hold our wedding!! Had an absolutely fantastic day - all of the staff were so lovely and helpful (especially Lane Caine, she's an absolute hoot and I even invited her through for a dance in the evening which she accepted!) I've been back a couple of times since and alot of the staff remembered me which is great!!
Every time I've been the food has been fantastic - can't fault it. Great selection of drinks, whisky and cocktails! I think alot of people are put off because of the layout and that dining, reclining and reception is all in one place but I think that adds to the charm of the place.
Rooms are great - some are normal and some are themed. I've only ever stayed in the themed and I would recommend paying more to have a themed room! I stayed in the Best Suite the night before my wedding - it's huge and absolutely loved it. I think we'll stay here when we return for our anniversary! On our wedding night we stayed in the Japanese Suite and again, it's lovely!
Been back since for Afternoon Tea with cocktails in teapots - I'd recommend the Carmelite for this as I've been too other places for the same and its just not as good!
Overall I'm a massive fan of this hotel, it's the first place i suggest for nights out with friends and if people are in Aberdeen visiting I'll take them here for a meal and I can truthfully say I'm never dissapointed! It's smack bang in the city centre so very handy for shopping or nightlife. Parking wise I think there are only a few spaces they have which you have to book but Union Square is just around the corner and you can park there overnight!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Carmelite, the room we stayed in was pretty funky and different to your usual hotel style - which we liked very much!! Its central location was perfect, only a short stroll back from all the nightlife!! The breakfast we had delivered to our room was tasty, and all staff were great.
I would certainly stay in this hotel again, and if you like something that little bit different then Carmelite is good for you!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed her the first weekend in December, no complaints about staff, very polite & helpful. also our suite was perfect,
But... We arrived at 2.15pm, for our room not to be ready, was told 20minutes, came back at 3.45pm, for it still not to be ready?! It was after 4pm before we got into our room.
Next problem was the noise volume coming from the party downstairs, I know it's the Christmas period & staff night outs etc, but it was extremely loud! Carried on till past 2am! My last problem was the parking, when I booked the room the person I spoke to never mentioned once that I needed to book a parking space or that I had to pay for parking, which worked out quite expensive! Overall I did enjoy my stay and the Hotel is ideal for walking distance to shops :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea M
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Very disappointed with this venue for our Christmas party. The place was absolutely mobbed with people not quite sure where they were going. Fortunately there was staff on hand to direct us to our table but unfortunately we were separated by different booths and not sitting next to the rest of our group.

We were seated in the lobby, next to the DJ and the bar but the booths we were in were quite wobbly, and every time someone behind us moved, the whole thing shook. I don't know if that's because it wasn't permanent seating and only put in the lobby for the party night but it was a bit of an annoyance.

The meal was really disappointing. I felt as if the salmon rilette had been bought in and thawed out and served. The vegetables in the main course, particularly the parsnip was completely undercooked and the mashed potato was tepid and tasteless. The dessert dry and the cream with it had melted by the time it got to us and was swishing around the plate.

When the meal had ended and the entertainment started, it almost impossible to hear what the person next to you was saying. It was so loud that we had to leave early as my partner was developing a headache.

After an enjoyable Christmas night a few years ago, we had hoped our party this year would be just as good but we feel that the venue was being too greedy by trying to cram as many people as possible into various places in the hotel. Although it appears to be quite upmarket, everything seems really cheaply done. I don't think we will be coming back here any time soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MishImpossible

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We unfortunately booked our Christmas night out at the Carmelite for 35 people, the venue was absolutely packed, there was no space to move and our table was blocking people from getting easily to the toilets, consequently our staff sitting at those seats were constantly being knocked into by people pushing past. We were told that as it was so full the table service would be slow and we would be better to order bottles of sprits, however they did not have any diet coke!!. A big fight broke out midway through the evening, I can only think that it was due to overcrowding, the only saving grace was there wasn't a fire as there is no way that crowd would have gotten out safely.
It smacks of abject greed to cram the dance-floor and what is normally the reception area with extra tables in order to make a quick buck, however they have lost a lot of return business and I will be advising anyone I know not to go this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank david c
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Was here for Christmas lunch recently. Food I must say was far from the best I have experienced. The starter and sweet were ok, but the main course consisted flaky and chewy roast beef with undercooked and hard vegetables.
Impolite, inefficient and bad mannered is how I would describe some of the bar staff, and not how I as a paying customer expects to be treated.
Don't expect I will be returning here at all again.
Some of the bar staff could certainly take a few lessons in courtesy and service to customers.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thomas W
Turriff
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times while I've been visiting aberdeen. Have no problem with the service or the lay out of the hotel. I'm quite fond of the hotel, hence why I keep returning. Only problem I've had is upon arriving at the hotel, I paid for the room. A couple of days later I noticed that I had been over charged (only £20) phoned up the hotel and was answered by someone rather absurd. The phone call lasted about 30 seconds and I was told I would be refunded the money.. this was a couple of months ago, still no refund to be seen. £20 isn't a big miss but I thought I'd get what I was due! I'm staying back here at the new year, just hoping my bank account doesn't get dipped in to!

Stayed October 2013
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us at Carmelite. Thank you too for your valued repeat custom and loyalty. It is pleasing to read you enjoy our service and product, however I apologise for the abrupt response you received via telephone when querying your account. Of course we will refund any mistake we have made. Will you please email me direct with your name and date of stay, where we can review your account and refund any overcharges. We look forward to welcoming you back to Carmelite in the New Year. gary.atkinson@carmelitehotels.com