“Very nice”

Ranked #44 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This boutique hotel in the centre of Aberdeen is very nice. The room is spotless and the bed was huge. Separate toilet and shower. The only downside is because it is in the centre then you have the noise of the revellers going home, the bin men emptying the bottle banks early in the morning and the sea gulls squawking early morning. The breakfast was lovely, so all in all a pleasant overnight stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel for a girls weekend. The staff were wonderful, helpful and tried their best to accommodate our various requests. The hotel is central to the train station and shopping areas of Aberdeen. Will definitely stay there again as it has the personal touch that the usual chain hotels lack.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Aberdeenshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We visited recently and after we got off to a bit of a ropey start, the Carmelite did a great job to make our visit a memorable one!

I'll get the negatives out of the way first ... when I booked, I asked for an email confirmation to be sent. A few days later, this hadn't been sent. I called again and again and eventually on my fourth attempt a week later, I got the confirmation but not after the person on the other end of the phone was very rude and blunt.

Also, this is not the hotel's fault, but we were wakened three times between 1am and 4am by a very loud person shouting and carrying on all the way up the corridor outside our room. I should have called reception but each time I thought it would be the last. It's disappointing that some other people don't have consideration but there was nothing that could be done about that - unfortunately you'll get that sort of behaviour anywhere!

Now all the positives! The check in process was straight forward, the staff were very pleasant and polite. The Carmelite is a funky, trendy place which offers a lot more than other typical hotels in Aberdeen and for this reason, they are well worth a visit, even if just for drinks.

We thought the room was nice and funky. It had everything you'd need for a pleasant visit. They had nice big TV on the wall and they had a dock for iPhone (however, not compatible with our iPhone 5s!) There was also a lift which was handy as we had a couple of cases to take up to the second floor.

Their cocktails were amazing, particularly the Hibiscus Kiss! Also sampled some others which were very tasty (and potent!!). There was a lovely atmosphere, the saxophone and piano were both fantastic to sit and listen to while we were having drinks (in particular, we were most impressed with the James Bond melody on the piano which was just great!). The staff were friendly, attentive and helpful, even when we came back in later on. We enjoyed a whirl on their new Fun Fair Waltzer (we hadn't known about this so it was a nice surprise!).

Their breakfast was delicious and plentiful. They even ensured I had some Gluten Free bread available for toast in the morning - it's little things like that which do make a difference!

Check out process was also straight forward.

I would definitely stay again, next time I'd maybe treat ourselves to one of their suites!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Best service in Aberdeen.
If you want to stay in a hotel where you get great personal service stay here,
The staff are fantastic and make the stay so enjoyable, its not a corporate hotel where you are just a number, the owner and staff go out of their way to make you feel special when you stay here.
Don't miss out Cameron's mojito's!
Breakfast is Def not to be missed great local produce Fantastic sausages !
Great location from the Train station and close to city centre easy walking distance.
Will Def be back in Jan

Room Tip: Enjoy the relaxing break and great service.
edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Do not stay here! I can see at the moment there is a groupon deal with this hotel, keep your money and go somewhere else.

We booked in for a two night stay for a family funeral. After making our reservation we phoned to ask if we could get access to our room early. We were assured this would be ok. On arriving at 10.35 we were greeted by the most unwelcoming receptionist who had no idea of our request nor our booking. After waiting for 45mns we were told we could leave our bags behind reception as our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be until 2.30pm

My mother and I left, totally disgusted

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank dawnie14

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Ellon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I live in Aberdeen and really enjoy coming here for drinks and also for meals because it's one of the places in Aberdeen for tasty food that isn't a chain restaurant. It's a really quirky place which I absolutely love and because of this, this is where my husband and I decided to hold our wedding!! Had an absolutely fantastic day - all of the staff were so lovely and helpful (especially Lane Caine, she's an absolute hoot and I even invited her through for a dance in the evening which she accepted!) I've been back a couple of times since and alot of the staff remembered me which is great!!
Every time I've been the food has been fantastic - can't fault it. Great selection of drinks, whisky and cocktails! I think alot of people are put off because of the layout and that dining, reclining and reception is all in one place but I think that adds to the charm of the place.
Rooms are great - some are normal and some are themed. I've only ever stayed in the themed and I would recommend paying more to have a themed room! I stayed in the Best Suite the night before my wedding - it's huge and absolutely loved it. I think we'll stay here when we return for our anniversary! On our wedding night we stayed in the Japanese Suite and again, it's lovely!
Been back since for Afternoon Tea with cocktails in teapots - I'd recommend the Carmelite for this as I've been too other places for the same and its just not as good!
Overall I'm a massive fan of this hotel, it's the first place i suggest for nights out with friends and if people are in Aberdeen visiting I'll take them here for a meal and I can truthfully say I'm never dissapointed! It's smack bang in the city centre so very handy for shopping or nightlife. Parking wise I think there are only a few spaces they have which you have to book but Union Square is just around the corner and you can park there overnight!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen L
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Carmelite, the room we stayed in was pretty funky and different to your usual hotel style - which we liked very much!! Its central location was perfect, only a short stroll back from all the nightlife!! The breakfast we had delivered to our room was tasty, and all staff were great.
I would certainly stay in this hotel again, and if you like something that little bit different then Carmelite is good for you!!